Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Present Moment Awareness
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  4:14:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
The most useful meditation practise for me, and I've tried many including AYP, has been to spend each day in continual meditation or heightened "present moment awareness".

So throughout the whole day, I'm continually gently drawing my attention back to breath. I do this whilst eating, working, sleeping, so my life becomes a state of intense awareness.

The inner silence this cultivates can become quite profound. However, I sometimes begin to feel a sense of complete desolation/depression overcome me during this intense inner silence.

Normally in a more agitated state, you move around, you do lots of things, you watch movies, you get beers with friends, you're continually involved in an endless series of doings, there's always noise and activity. I sometimes think the noise and activity just distracts you from what is really taking place in your heart.

The inner silence begets a tendency in me to just be still, spend a bit more time alone, to talk a bit less, to read instead of watching television and to appreciate silence and stillness.

However, the sense of depression and desolation that sometimes overcomes me in this state concerns me. People always talk about Inner Silence being blissful and peaceful (which it often is) but I rarely see people recounting powerful negative emotions emerging whilst in a state of inner silence.

My questions are thus:

1) Has anyone experienced anything similar?

2) Do you think my meditation could be causing me to become depressed (hence I should stop doing it) or do you suspect my meditation is simply creating a silence, free from distraction, in which I perceive the true condition of my heart? (and therefore I should just allow myself to connect with and experience that feeling, until it passes)

Thanks for your input.

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  4:43:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The desolation, depression you feel is purification. That is why we meditate at an appointed time and go out and live our lives. The balance is important.

It is important to cultivate inner silence though meditation, but then it is important to integrate this silence by engaging in activity.

If this form of meditation is working for you, keep going with it. When you feel the depression, take a break form going inward, now do things that will take you outward, help you ground, like, exercise, eat heavy, go to the movies, go out with non-spiritual friends, do fun stuff, stay away from spirituality a bit.

Once the purification phase passes, go back to your normal routine. As you continue, the purification phase gets shorter and shorter and the time you live in awareness/in stillness will become more.
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  4:47:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks, that's useful.
Go to Top of Page

Smileyogi

Australia
50 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  06:26:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Smileyogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mr_anderson

The most useful meditation practise for me, and I've tried many including AYP, has been to spend each day in continual meditation or heightened "present moment awareness".

So throughout the whole day, I'm continually gently drawing my attention back to breath. I do this whilst eating, working, sleeping, so my life becomes a state of intense awareness.

Hi Mr. Anderson..be careful that you should just make sure you get the profound emptiness(and bliss..etc..) during meditation practice,not imagine ,,the power of now,, during the day.
You might confusing the affect with the cause...and create a powerful ego in your consciousness ,the one whom is,,watching,,.

quote:
The inner silence this cultivates can become quite profound. However, I sometimes begin to feel a sense of complete desolation/depression overcome me during this intense inner silence.

Of course is quite profound,since there is the watcher you created...be careful with this,,mindfulness,, buddhist style...yoga is not buddhism.
I mean,it is buddhism,but only on the final goals.
By artificially creating the ,,witness,, the one sages talk about..you confuse the effect with the cause.
The result will be the other parts of you trying to explain you that you were on the wrong track.

quote:
Normally in a more agitated state, you move around, you do lots of things, you watch movies, you get beers with friends, you're continually involved in an endless series of doings, there's always noise and activity. I sometimes think the noise and activity just distracts you from what is really taking place in your heart.

Whom is observing the noise?..If you THINK,then you are not there.
Please just do the regular meditation sessions(10 minutes at least..please,Mr.Anderson)

quote:
The inner silence begets a tendency in me to just be still, spend a bit more time alone, to talk a bit less, to read instead of watching television and to appreciate silence and stillness.

There is a witnessing,but no witness..on the moment you appreciate the stillness,you ALREADY lost it.
Form is emptiness,emptiness is form.

quote:
However, the sense of depression and desolation that sometimes overcomes me in this state concerns me. People always talk about Inner Silence being blissful and peaceful (which it often is) but I rarely see people recounting powerful negative emotions emerging whilst in a state of inner silence.

My questions are thus:

1) Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Of course I did..my good man...and you're on the wrong track.

quote:
2) Do you think my meditation could be causing me to become depressed (hence I should stop doing it) or do you suspect my meditation is simply creating a silence, free from distraction, in which I perceive the true condition of my heart? (and therefore I should just allow myself to connect with and experience that feeling, until it passes)

Thanks for your input.

It will never pass,unless you watch it.To watch it,you must understand that the very consciousness is an affect,yet it has the capability to be one with the awareness(the source)..do not create a fake awareness.Just meditate as long as you want for now,but do it totally...in segments of time..then forget about it.Then totally apply your mind to daily affairs(as one-pointed attention).But most of all..do not create the artificial,,witness,,.That will be revealed to you in time.
Much love to you..Mr.Anderson...and I have a video for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YC7...ture=related
If you understand this video...then you'll understand the reason of my post.
love,danny:)
Lead me from dreaming to waking.
Lead me from opacity to clarity.
Lead me from the complicated to the simple.
Lead me from the obscure to the obvious.
Lead me from intention to attention.
Lead me from what I'm told I am to what I see I am.
Lead me from confrontation to wide openness.
Lead me to the place I never left,
Where there is peace, and peace
- The Upanishads

ps..I'm not saying,Mr Anderson,that the mindfulness buddhist style is not valuable..I'm saying just to be careful in creating a false interpretation in your understanding of the witness,witnessing and the process of witnessing.Just do that fully when you meditate,and not confuse cause with the affect.That's why all those masters in the past were trying to explain to people,but now with this internet,people got some words from whatever..and think that they must ,,watch,, themselves all day long to get enlightened.Be careful of this trap,this is the mahayogi speaking.I am not a fruitcake,I have over 30 years of meditation in all kinds of traditions,I just want to make you aware of this point,that's all..nothing personal.Kisses:)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000