Gurus, Sages and Higher Beings
 Guru Fairytales- Follow the Leader
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

richy

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  8:16:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit richy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Why do humans always have to follow the leader?
It seems like it is a mental disease in the human race.
Just because a certain chap who may or may not have knowledge
has a following, people credit him (where are the hers?)
with a divine dispensation.

UG Krishnamurti was the only 'guru' who dared to expose the
human brainwashing called tradition that has been infecting
the human collective mind for thousands of years.

What is this power that controls us

THINKING

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2010 :  3:45:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by richy

Why do humans always have to follow the leader?
It seems like it is a mental disease in the human race.
Just because a certain chap who may or may not have knowledge
has a following, people credit him (where are the hers?)
with a divine dispensation.

UG Krishnamurti was the only 'guru' who dared to expose the
human brainwashing called tradition that has been infecting
the human collective mind for thousands of years.

What is this power that controls us

THINKING

Hi Richy,

Welcome to the AYP Forum!

If you're saying (as I *think* you are .... ) that Thinking is what controls us ..... *indeed*.

For most of us, prior to a certain point on the yogic path, reliance on habitual reactive thinking is close to 100% of how we continually unenlighten ourselves.

There's a lifetime of embedded psychological conditioning, which is essentially the distortion software with which each of us perceives and relates to actuality from an incorrect standpoint, on a variety of levels.

(That's the bad news.)

Yogic sadhana, including inquiry, cures this.

(That's the good news.)

I respectfully disagree with your assessment regarding UG Krishnamurti, vis a vis (it sounds like you're saying) all other gurus or spiritual teachers.

I've heard good things about Krishnamurti; I'm referring to the "everybody else" part. There have been, and are, some clear, enlightened, loving and wise gurus and teachers in the world, in all traditions, in my experience.

I also disagree that tradition has been "infecting the human collective mind for thousands of years". I don't disagree that tradition has been a big problem, or even that there's been an infecting dynamic .... in fact, I feel that *is* the case, and that it's quite likely that the vast majority of people who've been involved with a given tradition or religion, over the course of history, did *not* end up liberated, or even "more free than when they started".

However, per the good gurus and teachers I'm familiar with, not to mention the good systems, with clear, enlightening teachings .... I just (again, respectfully) see your generalization as way too sweeping.

I can name/easily find at least a decent handful of gurus/rabbis/teachers from every practices-centric tradition around the world .... who have primarily benefited those who learn with them, and/or in some cases even follow them (until they learn that leader and follower are the same .... which is all any true guru, rabbi or teacher teaches).

And, in my experience, there are also a fair amount of "hers" ... especially these days, but in some cases, throughout history, as well (the female sages of the non-dual tantric traditions within both Hinduism and Buddhism come to mind).

And so, while I agree with you that blindly following has been a big part of the problem, it's not the traditions, or even the teachers that are the essence of the problem, in my opinion.

Basically, fundamentalism, blind belief, and/or lazy, culturally-supported following (of a teacher/guru/religion) are matters of psychology .... not of religion.

Fundamentalists are found in every culture and tradition, as are blind believers. Enlightened sages and highly-conscious spiritual practitioners are also found in ever culture and tradition.

Simply put, if you take each major religion or tradition, and view it as a bell-curve ... from least-conscious to most-conscious, least-free to most-free, you have:

• Wild-Eyed Fanatics

• Hardcore Fundamentalists

• Mainstream Adherents

• Spiritual Practitioners

• Enlightened Sages

• ... whether you're talking about Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Western Esotericism, or (presumably), quite a few other spiritual and non-spiritual traditions or systems (politics, academia, science, etc.).

Anyway ... I just wanted to offer a bit of an alternate expanded perspective.

I don't think we even really disagree that much ..... I just disagree with the "only" Krishnamurti, and that tradition{s} are "all bad".

Again, welcome to the AYP Forum!

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000