Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 HOLDING BREATH DURING SPINAL BREATHING
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DAMOMCK

Australia
17 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  09:06:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit DAMOMCK's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi, can anyone tell me whether we are meant to hold our breath comfortably when we reach the root and the brow, or just continue on with the breathing cycle without really stopping?

Yogani talks about one spinal breath cycle lasting 15-30 seconds, give or take.

I usually breathe in slowly and then once I reach the brow I hold my breath for as long as is comfortable (i.e. I don't force myself so I'm out of breath or anything), then I slowly exhale and do the same when I reach the root and have fully expirated my breath.

What does everyone else do, and will it make much of a difference?

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  10:31:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Damomck,

Welcome to the AYP forums.

We don't consciously hold our breath in spinal breathing.
http://www.aypsite.org/52.html
If your breathing naturally suspends in that situation it is okay. Nothing to worry about. The breath will return to normal rate as you return to regular body functioning. We don't force the breath. It finds its own level according to the state of our nervous system during practices. Sometimes the breath may not settle down much in pranayama. That is fine. We just go with it wherever it is, breathing as slowly and deeply as we comfortably can. Other times it may settle down right away. It all depends on the cleaning out process that is going on inside at that time.

So go with what feels like a normal breath and as you continue, breath suspension will occur naturally.

http://www.aypsite.org/229.html
Kumbhaka on either or both ends of the breathing cycle in spinal breathing is a further degree of restraint of breath. If this works for you, that is good practice too. Keep in mind that adding kumbhaka into spinal breathing, and later adding more with yoni mudra and the chin pump will be a lot of kumbhaka, and you should be prudent in your self-pacing of practices if the resulting purification and experiences become excessive. You can use the counting during spinal breathing if you like, though I think you will find later that the cycling of breath, kumbhakas, etc. becomes a natural and organic process. Then the counting will not be necessary. So much the better for letting the attention do what it does best - soar in inner space!

Hope this helps.

Go to Top of Page

DAMOMCK

Australia
17 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2010 :  11:10:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit DAMOMCK's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Shanti, much appreciated!

I just tried that this morning and already I can notice the difference - I get waaaay less pressure in my head & my body seems to settle even further, making my deep meditation session following it even more effective.
Go to Top of Page

RSS

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  11:27:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit RSS's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Damomck,
The way I was taught in the kriya lineage that I'm in is to retain the breath at the end of the inhalation as long as comfortable. Inhale a bit faster so that the breath retention is completely relaxed. Do not force this at all. You may find that while doing this you stay in kumbhaka a lot longer than you were intending to. Sometimes I have to remember to exhale. This is where the bliss is.
Go to Top of Page

DAMOMCK

Australia
17 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2010 :  6:21:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit DAMOMCK's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the extra info RSS, it always helps to try out more than one way. I'll give it a go too and see which one feels more at home with me.
Go to Top of Page

Wafu

United Kingdom
76 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  3:52:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I like to hold my breath for a few seconds at each end of the inhalation/exhalation cycle, it seems to help me centre my attention at each end of the spinal nerve. It's not something I do deliberately really, it feels completely natural. But I'm pretty sure that anything longer than a few seconds breath suspension isn't a taught component of AYP spinal breathing, that comes later in Yoni Mudra Kumbhaka. If you tried doing a smoother sort breathing like Shanti suggested and it's feeling better, this answers the question :D

Love x
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000