Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Becoming more conscious during daily life
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ConsciousEvolution

India
29 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  02:33:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit ConsciousEvolution's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some tips or books or videos with regards to using daily life situations, work, drive time, etc to become more aware and conscious.

So far I've been watching my breath intermittently throughtout the day as well as trying gently to concentrate on different activities and notice when my mind drifts.

I've read in different books that some aspirants perform japa throughout the whole day. This seems like it would be quite intense and I've also read in other places on the forum that it is not recommended to use the AYP mantra outside of the practice nor is it recommended to use an additional mantra.

Thoughts and sagely advice would be highly appreciated,

Love and Light.

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  3:58:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In my experience there are "two ways to this". The direct approach and the indirect approach.

Direct appraoch means, be more aware of the whole, inside and outside the body. Whenever you are lost in whatever, come back to the moment as a whole.

The indirect appraoch is: decrease the friction in your nervous system through daily practice of pranayama and meditation and as an effect be automatically more aware the rest of the day.

In AYP this happens especially through the increased third eye activity which comes through IAM and SBP and through the mantra repetition itself.

There are many direct and indirect methods. What worked for me:

- feeling the body and remaining in feeling
- watching the thoughts and through this dissolving thoughts = awareness increases without ending
- concentrating on the third eye continiously (and also as a seperate meditation)
- good amounts of nadhi sodhana and bhastrika pranayama
- AYP over the long term
- most probably nearly every system/method over the longterm

The question is, what works best and is easily integratable into daily life for you.

For me after many tries of direct only, indirect only and both in combination: indirect only was the only stable way. But also much much slower deepening.

My favorite source on this topic especially is Maitreya Ishwara. But in the end, everyone uses other words while everyone earlier or later experiences the same openings.
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2010 :  11:06:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Conscious Evolution,

Welcome to the AYP Forum.

You might find some of the lessons at http://livingunbound.net , especially in Level 1, to be helpful. Living Unbound is an "AYP Inspired" web site, started by Shanti here at the forum, and myself, and has lessons (both teachings and techniques) which address ways to overcome some of the common constrictions and fluctuations of mind, in day-to-day life, and with respect common life situations, in yoga-compatible, AYP-compatible, reality-compatible ways.

Also, in the Resources section, we have an extensive list of links, many of which can connect you with exactly the type of resources you're asking about.

Beyond that, I've found that just engaging in daily practices, and thereby maintaining the intention for spiritual opening as fueled by bhakti, along with being as aware and present as possible, are the primary keys.

Much like daily exercise ... just practicing daily, and being as aware as possible daily ... while making use of resources as we feel inner inspiration to do .... "gradually but inevitably" as the guru Neem Karoli Baba said .... gets us Home.

I hope this is helpful.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman
Go to Top of Page

ConsciousEvolution

India
29 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  12:57:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit ConsciousEvolution's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies!
Go to Top of Page

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2010 :  01:25:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been gently favoring awareness, coming back to it whenever I realize I'm off it. Usually I notice when I'm particularly wrapped up in a thought, or particularly nervous or fearful. Recently started listening to Adyashanti per several recommendations on these boards. And his talks have been a great throughout the day supplement to AYP practices.
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  1:35:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Both Adyashanti and classical Zen are very inspiring as for awareness.
Witnessing the breath and sensing the bandhas during the day is also helpful, as is a conscious gradual removal of energy leaks (purely habitual 'nonsense behavior') such as smoking or chewing gum or nibbling or twirling or reading non-information such as ads, election-ampaign posters etc. - interestingly, those won't walk away unless the breath and the awareness fills the gap. Leaks are a cheating trick by the body to avoid the new, higher energy level that has been built up during practice.
Go to Top of Page

ConsciousEvolution

India
29 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  02:08:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit ConsciousEvolution's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, I'm reading "The Miracle that is Mindfulness" by Thich Naht Hanh. I guess I've been apprehensive about doing a lot of breath awareness since the last time I was into it I became very unbalanced - but I'm ready to give it another go as that was four years ago. "A New Earth" By Eckhart Tolle, which I just finished reading, was also very good in both being more present and becoming aware of the mechanisms of the ego and the pain-body. I started reading some Adyashanti - great stuff, thanks for the tip.

Peace
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  3:12:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm using the simplicity that Great Freedom teachings during daily life. It's basically the same - to just become aware as often as it is remembered, and relax.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3boLC0rHjHY
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  10:46:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
highly reccomend: The Presence Process by Michael Brown.

It's like a practical manual for gradually achieving the state that Eckhart Tolle describes. It gradually wears down your ego, and frees you of emotional blocks/pain body, as you become increasing conscious and present moment aware.
Go to Top of Page

Steve

277 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  12:27:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steve's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
highly reccomend: The Presence Process by Michael Brown.

It's like a practical manual for gradually achieving the state that Eckhart Tolle describes. It gradually wears down your ego, and frees you of emotional blocks/pain body, as you become increasing conscious and present moment aware.
I bought the Presence Process last summer when I was on vacation. It kinda jumped out at me at the book store. Have been reading it the last month or so. Very practically oriented. I like it and too recommend it. Michael Brown also wrote ALCHEMY OF THE HEART, Transform Turmoil Into Peace Through Emotional Integration.

More information is available at http://www.thepresenceportal.com/.
Go to Top of Page

ConsciousEvolution

India
29 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2010 :  11:31:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit ConsciousEvolution's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
They wrote really good reviews for their own book: http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Change...p/0984369309
It has the names of the teachers on the website as reviews including the guy from that video link.
The teachings might still be great but that kinda leaves me wondering as it doesn't seem very ethical and honest to write great reviews for one's own books.

I'll read it anyway and see for myself. Thanks!

Edited by - ConsciousEvolution on Apr 21 2010 01:54:20 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000