AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Clenching Teeth
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  1:04:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
namaste friends,

during my Deep Meditation sessions when in deep stillness my teeth are clenching very hard against each other these days.

do any others around here experience this? i don't know if it's hurtful for my mouth and teeth, but nothing bad seems to have generated from it yet... should i let it happen and surrender to the process as normal, or should i stop it when it happens?

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  1:08:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Ananda

Actually I had been debating whether or not to start a really similar topic for the last month or so..... I don't have clenching teeth during meditation but I have been finding myself with a clenched jaw during other times of the day....specifically when the energy is flowing really strongly. Don't know what this means, but yes, I too am having a similar experience.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  1:12:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When you realize your teeth are clenched, just relax the jaw muscles and go back to the mantra.

I have it at times too. It is a result of some form of purification that brings but deep feelings of unconscious fright or expectation or anxiousness. You may not be conscious of the feelings/emotions, but you will be conscious of the physical reactions the body's conditioning bring up, and just physically relaxing the mouth and as a result the neck and shoulder is what helps me.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  1:59:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Hey Ananda

Actually I had been debating whether or not to start a really similar topic for the last month or so..... I don't have clenching teeth during meditation but I have been finding myself with a clenched jaw during other times of the day....specifically when the energy is flowing really strongly. Don't know what this means, but yes, I too am having a similar experience.

Love!

Hi Carson,

speaking for myself i don't have a tight jaw and the teeth clenching only happens during DM.

before opening this topic, i stumbled into this (hope it helps):
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1862

L&L
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  2:05:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

When you realize your teeth are clenched, just relax the jaw muscles and go back to the mantra.

I have it at times too. It is a result of some form of purification that brings but deep feelings of unconscious fright or expectation or anxiousness. You may not be conscious of the feelings/emotions, but you will be conscious of the physical reactions the body's conditioning bring up, and just physically relaxing the mouth and as a result the neck and shoulder is what helps me.

Hi Shweta,

i am with the mantra even when the clenching happens, it's not a big distraction but i am a bit worried about if there are risks from letting it just be..

just in case, next time it happens i'll try and relax my mouth more.

Thank you

namaste
Go to Top of Page

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  4:42:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson, I've been also having this for the past few months (5-6), but never before... I don't know how much it's related to the practices. It's been happenning during sleep mainly. It's also connected to a very noticeable physical restructuring in the jaw (there's often very loud cracking in the jaw joint). It may be connected to the growth of wisdom teeth.

Ananda, if the clenching is excessive (mainly for people who do this at night) it can lead to problems because clenching is weaking the enamel.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  5:26:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi Tadeas, hope you're doing well my good friend... and much thanks for the info.
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  5:30:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been having this for a few months during the day, and also sometimes in meditation. But lately it is not happening. Or not very often. I'm pretty sure it's related to purification. Plus maybe world spiritual energy increasing.

If I were you Ananda I would let it happen trusting that it would let go at some point. Unless it is hurting or causing problems, maybe do then a bit self pacing.

I hope it gets better my friend.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  5:41:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Yonatan

Best wishes
Go to Top of Page

Jivaakabhasana_Yogi

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  7:07:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jivaakabhasana_Yogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Aauummm Ya'll...

That happened to me quite a lot when I began DM...my experience is similar to Shanti's, in that I consider that I may have been purifying some deep seated fear and anxiety.

Regards,
Jivaakabhasana_Y
Go to Top of Page

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2010 :  7:14:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Doing very well, Ananda ... you too, I hope. Cheers :)
Go to Top of Page

wigswest

USA
115 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2010 :  2:56:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm just now learning how to relax my jaw-clenching - a relic of my previous life as a type-A ;)
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2010 :  09:25:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I see that this topic is a bit old but i'll put my thoughts down anyways :)

In my experience, Shanti is correct. The shoulders, neck and head are the last refuge of stored emotions, so in deep meditation we can simultaneously have stillness and emotional reaction.

A clenched jaw means somewhere, somehow, you're holding onto some anxiety around the spread of prana. Its a control thing. Your mind-body, on some basic level, is letting go, but keeping just that last bit of control.

Are you guys' symptoms improving?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000