AYPsite.org Forum
 Kundalini - AYP Practice-Related
 Bad posture and energy flow
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nathan

47 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2010 :  6:31:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I'm writing because I have chronically bad neck posture and maybe upper thoracic also; when viewed from the side, the neck sort of looks similar to a vulture, in that the curve is over exaggerated. When the K energy becomes active, I'm wondering if this will be a big deal or not. Right now, I rarely have any discomfort in the neck, I'm just concerned about the energy being able to get through fine.

If there are any people with both bad posture and active energy, I'd like to here from your experience whether the energy can flow well despite the bad posture. I'm doing neck exercises everyday, but don't seem to be making very quick progress, so I sometimes tend to fixate on the problem, which of course is distracting.

Thanks,
Nathan

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  04:09:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ever thought of getting a Healer (Reiki or similar) to work on your neck? They are usually good at that sort of thing.

But I have a feeling as you progress along the Yoga path, proper energy flows will help correct your bad neck posture. I say that because I find msyelf walking straighter, sitting straighter as breathing is controlled and full.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  07:40:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I will agree with SeySorciere and add, go to a chiropractor. That helped me a lot with my neck.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  10:40:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nathan.....

Going to see a chiropractor could be good idea but going to a "network" chiropractor would be a 1000x times better (IMO). A regular chiropractor will need to be visited over and over and over again as it is more like a temporary solution then a permanent one, but a network chiropractor will help your body learn to correct it's alignment issues permanently. Just a suggestion.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

Jivaakabhasana_Yogi

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  12:28:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jivaakabhasana_Yogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Aauummm...
Shanti
Shanti
Shanti...

I can so relate. I have had cronic upper back and neck pain for years...Having practiced martial arts for many years (Okinawin Karate/Goju Ryu) I had a few "accidents" in my time...including compression fractures in my upper thoracic and cervical vertabre.

I'm not so sure that I can comment on "directly" what posture has to do with energy flow. I say this because, at least in this one's experience, I have found that bad posture, over and above all, is a primary distraction to practice.

I for one, cannot recommend your average "Chiropractor", but would highly recommend a chiro that practices the Gonstead method. Gonstead revolutionized chiropractic, orienting it more towards the scientific model and medical (Western) science. They would say that other chiropractors practice "general manipulation", while they are perfectly specific...generally they do not go for large movement in large areas, but use exacting force, angle and pressure towards very specific ends...anyhow, enough of that...

Personally, I have experienced that SBP, has assisted me in correcting my posture, which I generally release and don't think about "much" during DM. It took me about a year, to find the balance between attention to posture/energy flow, and relaxing into SBP...but when I finally did, I discovered that my posture would literally correct itself without my conscious effort.

This is from someone who's pain was so extreme and dibilitating as to bring me to tears often enough. One must be careful to not overdo trying to "correct" one's posture. A perfect example of this is Savasana...Corpse Pose. This biggest deterent in this pose, is letting go of the incessant need to correct one's posture...Often even when the posture is correct in Savasana, we still try to correct it...this is because every human body is slightly different, slightly assimetrical (not balanced on both sides), and often what feels right is "wrong" and what feels wrong is "right."

I had the opposite problem, my cervical spine was perfectly straight...and I took a cue from Iyengar Hatha Yoga, in that I tried not to do sitting "poses" perfectly, but comfortably, and as best as possible with props. Eventually the props allowed me to strengthen those areas that needed it, and relax areas that needed it, etc... But the more I obsessed about it, the worse it got...so it is a balancing act.

Kundalini, well, she's not really affected by our posture, but we are effected by Her moving through us, dependent upon our own personal obstructions in the body/mind.

If you are willing, I can send you some intentional energy work, that mayhaps help in quickening healing and more balance in that area...just lemme know.

IMNSHO, if you continue the AYP practices as laid out, you'll do just fine.

Regards,
~Jivaakabhasana Yogi
Go to Top of Page

Nathan

47 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2010 :  6:50:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for the kind and helpful replies. In the future, I'll look into a chiropractor or other option if necessary, but for now, I'd prefer to try home exercises first to tame the unruly spinal column. =)

Last night, after creating my post, I was analyzing my posture, and I now think that most of the problem is due to the upper part of the thoracic spine curving forward too much, so when I hold my head up, the neck has to curve more than is usual. So I did some web searching and found some exercises that I think are just what I need. They use a foam roller to increase the mobility of the thoracic spine and reverse the forward slant that I have. This was a great discovery, as I could have gone on focusing on the neck, with little benefit.

As was said in the replies, hopefully the energy will actually help improve the posture, and work through it.

With gratitude,
Nathan

Edited by - Nathan on Mar 05 2010 7:17:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  06:02:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Nathan,

I had pretty bad posture pre-K....

On the one hand, it is a big deal, because I don't think you can reach your full potential with bad posture.

On the other hand, I don't think you have much to worry about because your posture problems will be ironed out as you progress along your life.

Start out by researching the anatomy of your back and neck, check out the muscles, read up on how they are supposed to work.
If you don't already have an exerecise practice, start one now.

A sufficiently advanced yoga asana practice will help your posture immensely on its own. You may also find that some form of strength training helps.

Also keep in mind, just because your neck posture is what "looks bad" doesnt mean thats where the problem is. Its very likely you have an imbalance in your pelvis, lumbar spine and thoracic spine (as you sai)...

Just focus on it and improvement will come in time.
xx
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000