Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 smoking cessation & cleansing process?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nirmal

Germany
438 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  04:00:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everybody,

Yes, I am ashamed to admit it, but I have not stopped smoking!!!
Now, I am ready to throw those nasty things away for all of the
obvious reasons.

Is there a program to cleanse the body to rid of the toxic substances?
Maybe diet,enemas,etc.?

Thanks,
nirmal

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  10:24:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hey nirmal, congrats on your decision! I can't relate to how difficult of an addiction that is to kick. Keep favoring quitting. Keep on quitting every day.

I've never smoked tobacco with any regularity, but I am a long time marijuana smoker - which I consider to be much less toxic to the body (probably because of the amazing difference in amount of material actually smoked and inhaled - a single cigarette contains more material than I used to smoke in a whole day at the height of my addiction, probably even a whole week) but toxic nonetheless. And I've gone through several periods of realizing it would be healthy to reduce my usage, which I have. After doing AYP for a few months, this reduction has only accelerated down to the point where I no longer feel my usage is unhealthy, but actually sacred when I engage it. But again, this was small beans compared to quitting cigs, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Once you stop smoking, the body will begin its cleansing process naturally and immediately. It has infinite ability in clearing waste compared to any technique you could add to the process. The only thing you can do is stop throwing garbage on the pile. Everything else doesn't even come in second place. Sorry to say it, but that's the hard truth.

The main area of cleansing will be the mouth, throat, and lungs. But it will also be going on at a cellular and even molecular level all over the body. Of the AYP techniques for cleansing, the most pertinent would probably be jala neti - the washing of the sinuses with warm salt water.

JDH
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  04:25:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi nirmal, you might want to consider taking up running or another type of cardio exercise regimen. Running is great for strengthening and clearing out the lungs. There's probably a lot of junk in your lungs and it can take a while to get it out.

I wish you success in your choice to quit.

Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

rkishan

USA
102 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  3:33:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit rkishan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nirmal,

Quitting smoking was one of the toughest thing that I did in my life. I quit on 2001. It's been 9 years now. I feel a lot better. I smoked for 10 years before that. Started off with 2 or 3 cigarettes a day and ended up with smoking a pack a day by the time I quit. It was not easy to quit for me. I took some zyban to help me get over the initial few weeks. Some people are against taking any help while they quit. But, in my experience, that few weeks of zyban really helped me get over the cravings. Even after that, I still treat this addiction with some healthy caution and respect. Even today, after 9 years, I try to stay away from environments where I will be in the middle of heavy smokers. I have seen smokers getting back into the habit after not smoking for 30 years. So, the awareness needs to be there on every day. This is a one day at a time process like the AA's program for alcoholics. We live one day at a time not indulging in the addictive habit. If we start thinking that I have not done this for 10 years, I have beaten it. That line of thinking will eventually lead to trouble. Even at the end of 10 years, 50 years or 500 years, we are still powerless over the addiction. We need the help of a higher power. If we forget that and think that our individual ego and will power helped us get rid of the problem, then we will eventually fall back into trouble.

As per cleansing, you can try the intestinal wash procedure that Yogani has written on the book, "Diet Shatkarmas and Amaroli". There is a milder version of that on the Swami Satyananda Saraswati's book called Lagoo Shankaprakshalana. Shankaprakshalana is a very powerful cleansing procedure which Swami Satyananda Saraswati advises us to do in some ashram. But Lagoo Shankaprakshalana is a easier procedure and can be done at home. He (Swami Satyananda Saraswati) even says that it can be done every day safely.

The detailed procedures and instructions for both Shankaprakshalana and Lagoo Shankaprakshalana are given on his book, "A Systematic Course in the Ancient Tantric Techniques of Yoga and Kriya by Swami Satyananda Saraswati". Some instructions about these practices are also available online. I think it will be a powerful cleaning procedure. If you decide to do the Shankaprakshalana at home without guidance, then you have to follow his instructions verbatim without missing any small thing that you might think is trivial.

The home panchakarma is also a very powerful cleansing procedure to remove toxins. Vasant Lad's book, "Ayurvedic Home remedies" has the instructions to do a home based short version of pancha karma. Pancha kara is a powerful cleansing procedure used in Ayurveda. Dr. Vasant Lad has simplified it for people to try a scaled down version at home.

Amaroli and Fasting can also help get rid of the accumulated toxins.

Edited by - rkishan on Mar 01 2010 3:48:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

fabiola7386

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  04:10:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit fabiola7386's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing!!!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/
Go to Top of Page

nirmal

Germany
438 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  04:51:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I know this is late, but thank you everyone for your helpful responses!

love
nirmal
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000