Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 John Kabat-Zinn - Mindfulness Meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  11:51:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Just wanted to know if anyone has any experience with this system? Long story short, I'm having too much "agitation" of mind with the Ayam mantra - I want to come back to it later, if possible, because from the AYP book I'm convinced it is the 'Rolls Royce' approach. I've ordered JKZ's course on DVD, and also the book 'Full Catastrophe Living'. Apparently this will involve 45 minutes, 6 days a week, for the duration of the course. I also want to make sure that I can come back to the AYP approach later.

By way of background, I was doing 10m SBP, 20m DM, 10m Samyama up until November - plus the asana set beforehand. I overloaded, took two months off, and re-started just 20m DM about 3 weeks ago - and I'm becoming very irritable again. I have meditated, on and off, for many years

Any thoughts?

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  12:02:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi amoux:

Perhaps before you go in an entirely new direction, review this lesson for over-sensitive meditators, and consider trying breath meditation: http://www.aypsite.org/367.html

It has been helpful to those who have had sensitivity issues with mantra.

Before that, you might try backing off to 10 minutes with the mantra, with a good rest before getting up. It may be as simple as making a time adjustment with adequate rest afterward. It does not have to be all or nothing. This is what self-pacing is about.

Your choice. Wishing you all the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  2:15:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Simple breath meditation is enough.

Adamant
Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  04:54:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Yogani and Adamant, for your comments. They are much appreciated.

With regard to the advice to sensitive meditators, the difficulty I had with that was the feeling that the breath meditation wasn't going to be doing very much. I've rethought that and decided that I may as well give it a try. So, I have switched to breath meditation for the time being, and I'll see how that goes.
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  11:26:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
With regard to meditation there's nothing to accomplish by doing. Just give up your goal (stop doing). When you give up, you release attachments and you achieve your goal (of giving up attachments).

Adamant
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  06:44:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by amoux

Thank you, Yogani and Adamant, for your comments. They are much appreciated.

With regard to the advice to sensitive meditators, the difficulty I had with that was the feeling that the breath meditation wasn't going to be doing very much. I've rethought that and decided that I may as well give it a try. So, I have switched to breath meditation for the time being, and I'll see how that goes.

Hi Amoux,

Breathing meditation (also sometimes called mindfullness meditation, or mindfullness of breathing), is very similar to deep meditation. Obviously, the object is different, but the process is the same, coming back to the object of meditation every time the mind wanders off.

In this way, the mind is brought repeatedly to stillness and silence. This is really the key aspect of any meditation process, and is the most important aspect of deep meditation (mantra meditation).

Because there is no mantra with breathing meditation, any problems resulting from the energetic vibration of the mantra (for very sensitive people) are avoided. In my experience breathing meditation is just as effective in cultivating samadhi as mantra meditation is.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  06:57:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to Adamant and Christi.

Adamant - I wish I could give up my goal, and release all attachments, but I'm nowhere near that point. Yet I'm a very goal-orientated person, and at this point I feel I need a goal from a motivation point of view.

Christi - thanks so much for this - it's reassuring.
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  1:06:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by amoux

Thanks to Adamant and Christi.

Adamant - I wish I could give up my goal, and release all attachments, but I'm nowhere near that point. Yet I'm a very goal-orientated person, and at this point I feel I need a goal from a motivation point of view.

Christi - thanks so much for this - it's reassuring.

Then, you're goal should be "I will give up all attachments."

Adamant
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  7:55:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Amoux,

It may not be necessary to give up AYP yet. I have successfully practiced AYP with only 2 minutes of pranayama and mudras and 7 minutes of deep meditation for the last 2 or so years now (5+ total now with AYP) and seen plenty of "progress". A good friend of mine practices 12 minutes of AYP deep meditation and this is plenty for now. You can stabilize with a more streamlined approach and then add in more practices later down the road.

Best of luck!

ps- oops just noticed Yogani already mentioned that but will leave this post up anyway.

Edited by - Anthem on Feb 27 2010 7:57:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2010 :  04:24:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Adamant - LOL! Yes, that would be a good goal for me.

Anthem - thank you for letting me know. I switched to breath meditation a couple of days ago, and things are already calming down. I hope to be able to return to the mantra later, but I'm going to wait until things are really stable. When I do come back to it, it sounds like 10 minutes would be a good starting point.

I much appreciate the time people have taken to reply.
Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  06:38:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just wanted to give an update. I've been following the 8 week mindfulness program, and wanted to say how deeply beneficial it has been. I was able to reintroduce DM by week 4, together with SBP in week 5, and my practice has been rock-stable since then. I wanted to let people know that other sensitive meditators may find this beneficial. The mindfulness aspect has been particularly useful - a great tool for dealing with purification symptoms as they appear

So my practice now is 45minutes asanas first thing in the morning, and 20m DM and 10m SPB morning and evening. Also 2/3 minutes of Tongen after each practice session.

I'm truly glad to report that the DM is far deeper and the stillness is blissful.

Edited to add that the benefits are noticeable to others - the irritability has virtually gone - when it is present, I am aware of it comming up and apply mindfulness to it - there is a real sense of calmness.

Edited by - amoux on Apr 22 2010 07:40:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2010 :  1:03:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the feedback Amoux, I'm a big fan of AYP combined with mindfulness myself
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000