New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

solo

USA
167 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  9:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit solo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I was talking to my yoga teacher tonight and she has been telling me to connect with my "inner child" and to find my "creative side". And we get talking about meditation. Her yoga training is from the Himalayan Institute and she is also studying tantra there.

She asks me about my meditation practice and I tell her about AYP. She asks me if I enjoy meditation. I tell her that I do not. But that I meditate to try to connect to the divine among other things. She tells me that maybe I sould stop meditating. She says if it's not fun then I should quit, that I am wasting my time and that my time would be better spent doing things that I enjoy.

Running short on time I simply end the conversation and go home. I kind of feel like AYP may not be fun now, but probably will be fun down the road. I feel like there is simply a place or level that I have not yet reached and that I need to carry on even though it is not enjoyable presently.

So tell me, any thoughts on the yoga teachers advice? It just seemed REALLY odd for a yoga teacher to advise a student to stop meditating.

JDH

USA
331 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  11:57:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very unyogalike advice. Who knows why she said that. You probably have a better idea than anybody here would. I would advise to do whatever you feel is best for yourself.

Meditation is one of those habits that does not give instant gratification, but pays long term dividends. I don't "enjoy" meditation either. Sometimes there are pleasurable or intense experiences, but they are not the norm. But there's nothing negative about it. Meditation just drifts by, almost timelessly. It is a practice, an exercise. The benefits are not during practice, they're out in daily activity. That's my experience.

If you're not having fun out in daily activity either, I would ask, why do you attribute that to meditating?
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  04:46:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting and ironic title for the thread. Good one!
Your yoga teacher knows you better than we do, its possible that you do need to lighten up and have fun in life. On the other hand if you feel the pull to meditate then by all means do it. I always enjoyed pranayama but sitting meditation was hard for me at first so didn't do it for years but eventually I felt the pull and now its very satisfying. Really only you know for sure. That said whether you meditate or not I would encourage you to have fun and enjoy life!
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  06:33:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi solo,

I agree with what Victor says about feeling the pull to do meditation. If you feel it's something you have to do even though right now it may not be very enjoyable, then continue. Maybe it's like when a child doesn't like to brush their teeth, it's not fun, but in the long run it benefits them, and after a while they do it without even thinking about it.

In my own experience for a long while my meditations weren't too pleasurable, and I experience sometimes purification symptoms. But it changes I think, and as I learn to let go everything becomes much more smooth. And as said what's really important is how you grow from day to day and see that during the day. Meditation can seem like a chore sometimes, but it changes you from the inside, and slowly there is progress.

Do what you feel is best.

All the best.

The Guru Is In You
Go to Top of Page

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  08:28:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that if you are looking for fun in meditation then you have the wrong idea. Not to say meditation cannot be fun..it certainly can be. But if all you're doing is having fun, when is the tough emotional work being done? Meditation is basically the process by which we resolve mental tensions, enabling us to penetrate deeper and deeper into the inner layers of our being. This process of resolving mental tensions is hardly fun. It can be outright grueling sometimes. Even traumatic or temporarily disturbing to our way of life, depending on what we have gone through in our lives. It is mental therapy. People don't go see a therapist because it is fun, do they? Similarly, when someone has a physical ailment, they go see a doctor. Not because it is fun, but because it is necessary. Meditation is like this. Either you see the necessity of it and discipline yourself to do it, or not. I would be highly suspicious of your yoga teacher after a comment like that. It shows a real lack of understanding.

Edited by - Clear White Light on Feb 13 2010 08:32:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  08:49:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The great guru's always say that meditation is useful, rather than necessary.

I can't help thinking of the dialogue in the Matrix film. When the Oracle tells Neo that he is 'not the One'. The Oracle told him what he needed to hear at the time and that was all.

It's easy to become obsessed with action at the risk of making the action the purpose with the expectation of profit.

There is something nagging me about looking for 'happiness' or more correctly ending suffering.

By asking 'what is the purpose?' for doing something, then the reason given is usually for happiness. I remember my NLP training and the tutor said that you cannot quantify or, describe happiness and that you can have all the happiness in the world right now. Just change your thinking.

So, maybe this is all the Yoga teacher is doing. Having noticed that there is an obsession about the meditation to find happiness/end suffering. The advice is to just to be yourself and change your thinking.

This is probably just what the great Gurus were trying to say. Stay in the moment, stay in the 'I am', change your thinking and be happy right now.

If meditation helps the move in this direction then it is a positive step, on the other hand it could become a dam for change and as such, is part of the problem not the solution. Why would it be right to suffer to end suffering ?

There are infinite paths as we know and provided the seed is planted, eventually it will grow into the tree.

Edited by - karl on Feb 13 2010 09:14:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  8:40:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by solo

So tell me, any thoughts on the yoga teachers advice? It just seemed REALLY odd for a yoga teacher to advise a student to stop meditating.

Hi Solo,

To me, it sounds kind of like someone asking you if you enjoy exercising ... or brushing your teeth ... and you say no ... and they say: "Well, maybe try something you enjoy more."

And not only that, but as far as I know, Swami Rama and the Himalayan Institute is a very meditation-centric lineage; much like all the lineages that, well ..... actually work.

As I posted recently in another thread, Swami Lakshmanjoo (Kashmir Shaivism) said:

"Do whatever you want, and meditate."

That statement basically outlines, in a way I agree with, based on experience, the importance of meditation, in the grand scheme of things.

Meditation per se isn't the only way to connect with the inner silence that is our true nature ... but it's by far the most direct, powerful and proven way, I'd say.

And, finally, who or what thinks in terms of "enjoy" or "don't enjoy" .... limited, thinking mind ... which is what caused all the trouble in the first place.

I hope this is helpful.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Edited by - Kirtanman on Feb 13 2010 8:40:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  8:42:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There are two ways to meditation:

1) Doing what you like
2) Doing what you don't like.

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  10:42:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very good advice from all the people above.
I think if her advice is temporary to solve some personal obstacle, then follow it for a while. Maybe she sees that you have a particular problem having fun, enjoying life, being creative.

But if her advice is permanent, or for everyone in general, it sounds idiotic. Why eat well, take care of yourself, wash your body, do your job, care for other people, stay out of jail, respect other people, etc? None of those things are fun. I used to work with a guy who said "If you go out to have fun, you're GONNA end up in jail." He was serious.

A sensible person knows how to do what is necessary in life, and make time for having fun. If you are making time for fun in your life, no need to give up meditation.
It's not a chore for me. I go into a wonderful relaxed state that removes all the tension from doing stuff I have to. It leaves me rejuvenated, and then I go have fun.
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  7:58:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Similar to what kirtanman said, but a little different
there can be a difference between having fun and being at peace with something. Does meditation, washing your clothes, taking a shower, cleaning your car, etc.. have to be fun, no. However can you be at peace with it while you do it and therefore drop the resistance to it. I may not like to wash my clothes, but I do appreciate clean clothes. So if clean clothes is what I want, i can appreciate what washing clothes does for me and be at peace with washing clothes. And sometimes I do have fun washing clothes when I run across my house and slide on the floor in my socks.
am I suggesting you keep meditating, nope, am I suggesting that you stop, nope
my best to you and I wish you well
Brother Neil
Go to Top of Page

JDas

USA
74 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  9:00:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit JDas's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by brother neil

Similar to what kirtanman said, but a little different
there can be a difference between having fun and being at peace with something. Does meditation, washing your clothes, taking a shower, cleaning your car, etc.. have to be fun, no. However can you be at peace with it while you do it and therefore drop the resistance to it. I may not like to wash my clothes, but I do appreciate clean clothes. So if clean clothes is what I want, i can appreciate what washing clothes does for me and be at peace with washing clothes. And sometimes I do have fun washing clothes when I run across my house and slide on the floor in my socks.
am I suggesting you keep meditating, nope, am I suggesting that you stop, nope
my best to you and I wish you well
Brother Neil

why can't doing that stuff be fun? for a moment? what's stopping us?
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  10:07:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
[i]why can't doing that stuff be fun? for a moment? what's stopping us?

your right, no thing is more amazing then any thing
Go to Top of Page

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  4:56:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I hope you don't mind me asking, but why don't you enjoy meditation?

Myself, I dread doing SB, I skip it sometimes depending on my mood and energy level - I don't even know if I am doing it right and keeping my eyes glued to my forehead is impossible. I love meditation though, and even when my thoughts can't stop I still get an energetic rise and consciousness boost out of it.

Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  6:38:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Your red flags have gone up for a reason. Trust them.

Adamant
Go to Top of Page

solo

USA
167 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  7:24:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit solo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BellaMente

I hope you don't mind me asking, but why don't you enjoy meditation?

Meditation just seems like a chore. It's like adding an hour (two 30 minute sessions) of car washing, floor scrubbing or teeth brushing to my day. It just seems, well, boring.

If I felt revved up afterwards, or had some amazing sensations during it or if even if it just provided me some amazing insights or clarity, then I would probably enjoy it. But for the last year, it's been headaches, strange tingling sensations, without a whole lot of pleasure. Maybe it gets better as all the energy centers open and the body is cleansed?

Of course, I am going to carry on as I do believe that there is a payoff at some point and I have come too far not to experience it. But if my light never shines and I end up simply having sat for an hour a day for the next 10 years, I would have to think about how that time could have been used more effectively.
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  8:06:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Meditation just seems like a chore. It's like adding an hour (two 30 minute sessions) of car washing, floor scrubbing or teeth brushing to my day. It just seems, well, boring.

Hi Solo,

"Boring" is just another thought that can come up during sitting practices and should be treated as such. Not to mention, the thought "boring" is also an effective defense mechanism of ego. Since boring is a thought that can come up, we treat it like any other and return to the mantra or to tracing the spinal nerve if it comes up in pranayama. What would your life be like without that thought?

Meditation may not often yield tangible experiences that fall into the thrilling or fun category, but how it enhances life over the long term definitely brings more fun and enjoyment in all situations. Soon the mind will stop craving the fireworks of life(though they are fun too) and eventually enjoyment can be found in almost all activities including the previously mundane.

Best of luck!
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  8:17:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Learning to sit with boredom can be a very vaulable prcess and can eventually yield really good results.
Go to Top of Page

wigswest

USA
115 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  8:31:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Solo, to echo what others have said...I had to work through all the "I'm bored" messages my ego was sending me (other good ones were "I'm sleepy" and "I'm agitated" ;)...knowing that these are merely noises, and *not* identifying with them, will eventually get you to the other side of them: a wonderful, present, peaceful silence :)

Hang in there...and remember, *don't* identify with the body/mind states that your ego is insisting you're experiencing - relax, breathe thru them, and return to present stillness :)
Go to Top of Page

solo

USA
167 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  9:18:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit solo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to everyone who contributed. So long as I know that someone will benefit from my meditation, that is all I need to to hear. And as I work through the ego, it sounds like everyone will benefit. To me, if an activity does not benefit someone (other than self) it is not a useful pursuit.
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  10:13:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Solo, I may no be the prime example of how to live ife, however I will say this. WHen I was weeding my garden today, the mind was going "how long do I have to do this, I dont want to do this for 30 minutes" however I just kept bringing myself back to the moment, putting attention on what I was doing. while there is 30 minutes, there is not 30 minutes, only this moment. I ended up finishing and the mind was peaceful.
So if you decide to meditate, you may want to try releasing your attention off of the 30 minutes, because you are only doing it for a moment.
my best to you
Brother Neil
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  12:43:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Solo,

As we go through different phases of development, we often have to put up with our own aversions and resistance that rise up to thwart us by way of the egos. The egos are not fond of meditation because it is a threat to their existence and their power over us...it's the means to to return to our true being rather than egoical existence and unconsciousness. It is the means to freedom and the cessation of suffering....how can you go wrong?

Once your energies become strong, balanced and flowing, the ecstacy, wisdom and beauty inherent in this path will inspire you on naturally. I still struggle with getting myself to actually sit down and do it, but now i actually urn for it and my Bakhti is always increasing as a result.

You can pray to Mother Kundalini to help you in any way, when you feel you are flagging in any aspect of your work.....after all, this is HER path, and she is the highest authority on it! Ask her for inspiration, tell her where you are stuck, express your desire for progress! If you can find devotion in your heart, even better!

Those here who stress "just do it", are completely correct. I have only known one person in my life who never benefitted from meditation, but he was very "disconnected" as a rule, on most levels of existence.

You have nothing to lose by continuing, as long as you practice well and follow the guidelines. As Yogani has promised, this is the "Spiritual Fast-Track", so it won't be long before you prove to yourself why you are doing this. Because i am sensitive, i have been able to feel changes from moment one from Kundalini work, so even if you don't feel or sense anything, things are probably changing never-the-less, energetically and in your awareness.

There is a story of a Zen monk who sat looking at a spot on the wall for 20 years, with no indications that anything was happening for him. Suddenly, one day he just became enlightened! Normally, we have the luxury of signs of our progress, which let us know that change is occurring, but imagine his dedication?

I wonder if your teacher didn't throw a wrench in it to have you further explore your dedication to meditation?

Hang in there friend, and let us know how things go, OK???

Blessings

RAEL!

Edited by - Rael on Feb 17 2010 02:55:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  4:00:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Solo, I remember reading about your kundalini awakening when I first came to ayp. So now I have to ask all of you:

Is it because of extra kundalini that you all find DM boring? Maybe all the energy is distracting, is that it? Maybe I enjoy DM because I haven't had such a powerful kundalini awakening?

Just curious...

Go to Top of Page

solo

USA
167 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  5:23:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit solo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
BellaMente...You know, I wish I knew. I am still searching. I am definitely reaching new energetic levels. When I do my Qigong in the morning, I see my 3rd eye filling with light and my whole body starts to shake even though I am not trying to shake it. Kind of like I am shaking in the presence of the Divine. My hands are often extremly cold as well, almost from the inside if that makes sense.

Tonight I am going to a meeting of Shamans to explore this spiritual path. Still looking for a path that fits me.
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  02:17:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Solo

You may be bored, but at this time, i'd find your life to be ALOTTA fun!

Hope you are making progress,

Hugs

Rael!
Go to Top of Page

solo

USA
167 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  7:20:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit solo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Rael,

Well, I have 3 great kids that are fun most of the time. So at least part of life is fun. I am curious to know why you would find my life to be entertaining right now. It kind of seems like a grind...

ed
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  9:55:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Solo!

Reaching new enegetic levels,
Chi Kung every day,
light filling the third-eye,
going to meet Shamans...you are living MY life!....WOW!

I am busy trying everything i know to break out of depression, boredom and the "wrong" life situation.

I have had many of those elements in the past, but have fallen off the wagon a few too many times and let distraction get the best of me.

Want to trade???

Edited by - Rael on Mar 01 2010 10:08:12 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000