Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Humility ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  06:06:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Not sure where to start with this.

I perceive a lack of humility in myself, or a surfeit of arrogance. How to remove it ?

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  06:41:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Karl

I realised this myself a little while back, and I was at a loss as to how to deal with it. One thing that is helping is something I came across in Elizabeth Gilbert's book, Eat Pray Love. It is, when these thoughts come up, to say to myself "I will not harbour unhealthy thoughts any more". It seems such a simple thing, but, for me, it is beginnin to work.
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  11:25:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Humility is an absence of pride. So, if you can find a method to supersede the ego of pride, the humility should arise naturally. I would guess that this could easily be resolved with Samyama practice. There is also the perspective of the Gnostic institute of Anthropology (Books of Samael Aun Weor also). They feel that the egos should be returned to cosmic dust in a meditative state, but it takes some Gnostic training to get the method down. For me, this is sounding too much like "killing" something.

I think AYP methods have the means to resolve ALL matters eventually, if you just stick to the program.

Blessings!

Sincerely
Rael
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  7:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Rael

Humility is an absence of pride. So, if you can find a method to supersede the ego of pride, the humility should arise naturally. I would guess that this could easily be resolved with Samyama practice. There is also the perspective of the Gnostic institute of Anthropology (Books of Samael Aun Weor also). They feel that the egos should be returned to cosmic dust in a meditative state, but it takes some Gnostic training to get the method down. For me, this is sounding too much like "killing" something.

I think AYP methods have the means to resolve ALL matters eventually, if you just stick to the program.

Blessings!

Sincerely
Rael

Yes, I'm also of the opinion that trying to kill things is not the best way. I have included an extra sutra for humility and see how that goes.
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  02:08:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Great Karl!

Edited by - Rael on Feb 23 2010 03:02:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ashwathama

India
17 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  06:19:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ashwathama's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you are humble its good! If you are arrogant then that too is Good!Live it to the full and be done with it!Peel the onion right down till there is nothing left!

Cheers!
Go to Top of Page

Steve

277 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  12:34:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steve's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Karl,

Simple practices to open and strengthen the heart can also be beneficial.

An easy smiling practice that helps one to begin to open and feel the heart and an Open Heart Meditation (prayer) that helps to remove arrogance and other negative emotions-patterns and replace them with the love and light of Source can be found at http://www.open-your-heart.org.uk. Clear explanations and free downloads (text and audio) are available.

The Open Heart Meditation (prayer) has a specific line for eliminating arrogance.

True Source, please bless our heart so that all arrogance be removed, to be replaced with Your Love and Light.

In addition to the above site, the prayer text and audio (free) can also be found at http://heartsanctuary.org/open-hear...itation.html.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  3:38:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Steve

Hi Karl,

Simple practices to open and strengthen the heart can also be beneficial.

An easy smiling practice that helps one to begin to open and feel the heart and an Open Heart Meditation (prayer) that helps to remove arrogance and other negative emotions-patterns and replace them with the love and light of Source can be found at http://www.open-your-heart.org.uk. Clear explanations and free downloads (text and audio) are available.

The Open Heart Meditation (prayer) has a specific line for eliminating arrogance.

True Source, please bless our heart so that all arrogance be removed, to be replaced with Your Love and Light.

In addition to the above site, the prayer text and audio (free) can also be found at http://heartsanctuary.org/open-hear...itation.html.

Steve

This looks good Steve, i am going to recommend this to friends who are in need and who seem to be at a loss these days!

Thank you,

Blessings,
Rael!
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  5:20:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hm. I have seen this topic now and wondered if I should write anything... cause it reminds me of a post I wrote after an insight some time ago... Tonight it seems I need to post...

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=5949#53651

Don't know if it applies to your arrogance situation... The way I see it, arrogance is a sort of contempt for others, which is always a projection of a contempt for a part of oneself that we wish not to see. In my experience life usually presents situations where we can be exposed to that humiliating "weakness" of ourselves, and when that happens we can either be humiliated by life/others (mostly my approach), or put up the shield and become arrogant towards life/others and project the weakness outside of ourselves.

I would just add "arrogance" as a sutra in the samyama practice and ask for release.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  8:18:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps if you lack humility it maybe that are with those who set standards too low and don't challange you enough. Maybe try to step up to a level of interaction with those who make you work hard to keep up
Go to Top of Page

wigswest

USA
115 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  10:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe you need to work with others less fortunate than yourself. A time-honored recipe for humility ;)
Go to Top of Page

insideout

USA
44 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  11:00:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit insideout's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karl
I perceive a lack of humility in myself, or a surfeit of arrogance.

The fact that you are aware of this and have a desire to change it shows humility. Your awareness also tells me that you are practicing Self-Inquiry, even if it is not yet in your repertoire of practices. This will mean sloughing off these thought patterns more easily than you think.

As Rael says: "AYP methods have the means to resolve ALL matters eventually, if you just stick to the program."
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  04:44:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Phew, that's a sudden flood of replied thanks everyone for taking the time to post. I am practising self inquiry and have also added humility to the Sutras.

It was a help that a book dropped through my letterbox today and I have just read the part 'getting stuck in a sense of superiority' and the sentence :

If you do feel a sense of superiority then know this: This is not the view of true awakening. This is the view of the Ego which is grabbing awakening and pretending to be awake.

Like any drug user the first step was to admit that the drug owned me. Now I see it defeats me and accept and recognise it without fighting it, it's a defense, and I can see it for what it really is.
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  11:11:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I perceive a lack of humility in myself, or a surfeit of arrogance. How to remove it ?

Humility and arrogance come and go within awareness. Neither of them, or any other experience can define the magic and majesty of this being that you are. Look into them and see that they have no independent self-substance, but are dependent upon each-other. Look deeper and see that they appear to be in your field of experience, but upon closer observation are not really there as things that have lasting definition or lasting importance to themselves. They are concepts. When they are seen as concepts of a momentary perception that have no independent power to stand up as any real and lasting definition of your self, then they can be released as quickly as they appear. There really is no humility or arrogance beyond a momentary perception of an energetic stance that can possibly define the magic and majesty of this mystery that you are. In arrogance there is humility, in humility there is arrogance. This way they are seen as ephemeral waves that hold no power over the mysterious beauty that is this presence of awareness. Humility and arrogance are merely aspects of all that appears and disappears within the beautiful being that you truly are.

(just my 2 cents FWIW )

Edited by - Balance on Feb 24 2010 12:01:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  12:43:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Balance

quote:

Humility and arrogance come and go within awareness. Neither of them, or any other experience can define the magic and majesty of this being that you are. Look into them and see that they have no independent self-substance, but are dependent upon each-other. Look deeper and see that they appear to be in your field of experience, but upon closer observation are not really there as things that have lasting definition or lasting importance to themselves. They are concepts. When they are seen as concepts of a momentary perception that have no independent power to stand up as any real and lasting definition of your self, then they can be released as quickly as they appear. There really is no humility or arrogance beyond a momentary perception of an energetic stance that can possibly define the magic and majesty of this mystery that you are. In arrogance there is humility, in humility there is arrogance. This way they are seen as ephemeral waves that hold no power over the mysterious beauty that is this presence of awareness. Humility and arrogance are merely aspects of all that appears and disappears within the beautiful being that you truly are.

(just my 2 cents FWIW )

Balance,

I would say that comment is worth AT LEAST 50 cents! ...Good one!
Go to Top of Page

wigswest

USA
115 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2010 :  10:54:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Karl, a few days after I gave you my somewhat glib answer, it came to me that your asking this question showed a more profound humility than I had ever pretended to.

I've now added humility to my sutras as well.

Thank you for this thread, my friend :)
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2010 :  03:38:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by wigswest

Hi Karl, a few days after I gave you my somewhat glib answer, it came to me that your asking this question showed a more profound humility than I had ever pretended to.

I've now added humility to my sutras as well.

Thank you for this thread, my friend :)

That allowed me to come back to the thread and read Balance's post which, for some reason I didn't notice until now because it either didn't make sense at the time, or it wasn't there until I needed it. Thank you Balance and thank you Wigwest.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000