Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Detachment: Arising of Old Memories
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  3:27:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
In my stage of the process (DM + SBP every day; sometimes twice a day, depending on how tired I am in evening), I am experiencing the resurfacing of old memories from this lifetime.

I'm experiencing whilst meditating, and re-living old times in my dreams.

The difference is, that I'm often going back to times that were painful and reliving them in a different, better, happier way. Sometimes I am just witnessing painful and hurtful times, but with a sense of peace and calm now.

Obviously this is part of the purification process. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the same or similar experiences?

Best,

Josh

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  3:53:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I experience this nearly every time I meditate. It is indeed purification. Like you said, memories that were stored up which were previously thought of as being painful are able to be witnessed in a more open, nonjudgmental fashion. This allows a release of nervous tension that was associated with that memory.
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  4:08:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mr_anderson

In my stage of the process (DM + SBP every day; sometimes twice a day, depending on how tired I am in evening), I am experiencing the resurfacing of old memories from this lifetime.

I'm experiencing whilst meditating, and re-living old times in my dreams.

The difference is, that I'm often going back to times that were painful and reliving them in a different, better, happier way. Sometimes I am just witnessing painful and hurtful times, but with a sense of peace and calm now.

Obviously this is part of the purification process. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the same or similar experiences?

Best,

Josh

Yes, of course. This is what we all experience in the process of purification and purging. Many of the experiences of purification might appear negative, like old bad memories or painful visions of vomiting, etc., but these are actually very good signs that the process is working.

Adamant
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  5:46:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Josh,
This is very normal. It is purification and it is just blocks being released. The best thing to do is feel them to their fullest... don't suppress them... just remember they are memories, they cannot hurt you.. so feel them and then give them to your ishta or to the stillness (like in samyama). The more you analyze them, the longer they will linger on.

This topic has some good suggestions on how to let emotions from the past go: HOW to let go of emotion--or stop the flow

A bit of Katie style self inquiry will help too. :)
Go to Top of Page

Jivaakabhasana_Yogi

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  7:32:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jivaakabhasana_Yogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Aauummm Baskaraya vidhmahe
Divakaraya dhimahi
Tanno Suryah pracodayat

Aauummm shanti shanti shanti...

Most definitely a familiar experience...

I am 47, and all of my life have experienced what individuals refer to as "lucid dreaming." Whatever the phenomenon really is, I can say that more often then not, I am conscious and aware during dream states, to one degree or another.

The reason I am bringing this up is that I noticed a correlation or association between the "experience" of the mantr' self-refining, and the psyche and its energies doing much the same in the dream state. I have heard Nyingma Buddhists refer to this as "dream yoga."

Just two nights ago, for example, all night long (yep all 8 hours ROFLMBO :'''( ), I kept reliving a core childhood fear/anxiety/pain-rage in the dream state...the "actors were often the same, although the scenery often changed. What I have begun to notice, and why I am relating this; the dream state, through no conscious effort of my own to cause this to happen, seeks to "refine" the core energies that are causing the blockage...i.e., the dreams become more focused, shorter, intense...they stop being about the peripheral story, and begin to resemble the very core of the blockage.

In much the same way of favoring the mantr' and not forcing it, I "favor the dream's refining..." Eventually self-inquiry kicks in, quite naturally and automatically, and I see this blockage as arising within and as me; yet as projected from "I", and there is "nobody home in 'I-ville."

This process usually continues 2-3 nights for me, and then resolves...been happening this way for years, but far more often since SB and DM. I don't really "do anything about it," I don't seek to make it happen, or to manipulate, nor even (perhaps especially) do not attempt to analyze it, I just "let it be," and there is this refining process, until, much the same as the mantr' iaamm it resolves into the silent stillness.

This same process happens often in my waking state as well...for example, the other day walking home from the gym; a situation from years ago with a crazy landlord literally flooded my awareness, like it was "yesterday", and RAGE rose up within me like a volcano, the body began to shake, the emotions et al, etc... Then came inquiry, and the silent stillness, again, quite naturally and unforced or "un-done" and this energy released and resolved into the stillness...while it is very intense, it can all happen in a manner of 2 or 3 seconds, and then it is completely "gone."

I think that Shanti is "right on the money" suggesting Byron Katie..;

Perhaps one should be careful to pace her approach carefully (imnsho), yet if understood and used prudently, can be extremely helpful.

Be well,

Jivaakabhasana_Yogi (Joseph)
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  03:50:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
We tend to store negative emotions around events in the un-conscious. When a appropriate time comes, the unconscious mind presents the event and emotions for resolution. Most times we just push the event back in the bag to deal with it at another time.

The event is just that, an event. The negative emotions are the bits that need resolving and then the event just becomes part of learning.

Seems DM facilitates this process. Not had it happen to me but then again I do Time Line Therapy which gets rid of all the negative emotions in 2 hrs flat.

I wonder if it makes more sense to do TLT before beginning meditation, so as to release all the emotions ? Wonder if this would mean that it takes out a stage in DM and maybe make it more effective ???
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  7:24:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks a lot for the advice and feedback everyone :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000