Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Mahashivratri
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ashwathama

India
17 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  01:00:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ashwathama's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone.Today is Mahashivratri.It is the night when Lord Shiva got married to Godess Parvati.This wedding symbolises the 'Union' of the male and the female energies.The beautiful Flowering of our beings.The blooming of a thousand lotuses in our consciousness.

On this auspicious occasion I wish all my fellow travellers ( all you Gods and Godesses) on the path to yourselves, Bon Voyage!

Love.

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  02:56:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
OM NAMAHA SIVAYA KI JAY!
Go to Top of Page

christiane

Lebanon
319 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  04:41:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit christiane's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Om Namah Shivayaaa
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  04:47:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
OM NAMAH SHIVAYA
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  05:28:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.balbro.com/shiva.jpg
"Lord Shiva - Symbol of Pure Awareness"

I love this image of Lord Shiva. The snake symbolises "Awareness".

Shiva looks so cool and calm yet his awareness is sharp like a snake's alertness.

Om namah Shivaya.

The Shiva is in you.
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  07:38:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Om Namah Shivaya

_/\_
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  4:57:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This may have been asked before, but what is the appropriate greeting for Mahashivratri?

In the meantime:

Have a blissful Mahashivratri

Om Namah Sivaya

Love
cosmic

Edited by - cosmic on Feb 12 2010 4:58:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  5:41:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by cosmic

This may have been asked before, but what is the appropriate greeting for Mahashivratri?

In the meantime:

Have a blissful Mahashivratri

Om Namah Sivaya

Love
cosmic

Hey Cosmic,

I spent a little time delving into some of the more esoteric commentaries on the Pratyabhijnahrdayam, and according to Abhinavagupta's lead disciple, Ksemaraja, one of the most respected scholar-gurus of Kashmir Shaivism, the appropriate greeting for the auspicious occasion of Mahashivaratri is:

Happy, Mahashivaratri!!

Kidding, of course ..... (though kinda not; it's probably what I'll say ... "see below" ........ ).

In the meantime, I didn't mention this in the LivingUnbound.Net site announcement post, but there's a custom-created "combination" Mahashivaratri/site-launch video on the Home Page, if anyone is interested.

It's got some cool Lord Shiva-related images, set to an awesome Jai Uttal song.

Enjoy!

Oh, and to all:

Happy, Mahashivaratri!

AUM, and of course .......

AUM Namah Shivaya

Edited by - Kirtanman on Feb 12 2010 5:43:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  7:57:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kirtanman

the appropriate greeting for the auspicious occasion of Mahashivaratri is:

Happy, Mahashivaratri!!

Hey K-man, I almost used that, but it seems so.... western
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  8:36:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by cosmic

quote:
Originally posted by Kirtanman

the appropriate greeting for the auspicious occasion of Mahashivaratri is:

Happy, Mahashivaratri!!

Hey K-man, I almost used that, but it seems so.... western

"Humorously enough" ......... if there was/is any such greeting, it's most likely "Mahashivaratranandam" .... which is Sanskrit for ........... "Happy {Blissful} Mahashivaratri".

Having said that, though, basically: I have no clue.

"Google is our friend."

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

PS- And speaking of which, I just did some SRGFTHOI (Semi-Random Googling for the Heck of It ) .. on Indian/India-based sites ... and the ones that mention greetings were saying "Happy Shivarathri", "Wishing You A Blessed Shivarathri", and so on; the only other expression I saw at all was "Aum Namah Shivaya", or "Namah Shivaya" (which everyone here kind of "had" from the beginning, it seems).

Aum Namah Shivaya

Edited by - Kirtanman on Feb 12 2010 9:41:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  11:57:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

AUM NAMAH...SHIVAYA !!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Ashwathama

India
17 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  01:53:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ashwathama's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In our Vedic traditions we just greet each other with an "OM NAMAH SHIVAYA'!

oh and if any of you go into battle then you may use "HAR HAR MAHADEV" as a battle Cry!

love.
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  03:14:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
a friend asked me what the crescent (moon), damroo (drum) and trishul (trident) mean on the images of Lord Shiva.

I wrote him this based on my experience.

'moon' symbolises coolness, stillness and beauty. he is strong and muscular yet his endurance is like of a woman. a basic requirement to become a yogi.

'damroo' symbolises effect of his presence, his aura strikes you like the sound of a damroo, disturbing your sleep of many lives. the dumroo also bears the symbol OM on it. hearing OM repetitively is lethal for the ego.

'trishul' is a symbol of the ultimate weapon to destroy ego. uniting the ida, pingla and shusmna nadis. when these three unite within you, there is no stopping, the divine consciousness manifests itself in the individual and shatters the ego completely.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  4:15:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful Mahashivarathri 2010!!!

Beauty
Joy
Bliss
Peace
Gratefulness

Om Namah Shivaya
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000