Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Some tools which have greatly improved my practice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  10:04:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Today I would like to share with you all some tools and techniques which I have used to great success in improving my meditation, yoga, and concentration;

Firstly, Trataka. There is a reason that steadiness of gaze is associated with steadiness of mind. Our sense of sight is our most dominant sense, and as such our optical nerves carry a lot of tension in them. In meditation, this tension can be experienced as the inability to keep the eyes focused on one spot for more than a few moments. It can also feel like your eyes are firing off in random directions, completely beyond your control. This used to be a BIG problem for me. I couldn't get my eyes to relax no matter what.

Then I discovered Trataka. Particularly on the flame of a candle. For a while I practiced it rather aggressively (Nearly every day), but now I probably practice 15 minutes or so at a time 2-3 times a week. This has lead to a profound deepening in my meditations by helping to exercise my optical nerves and eliminate a lot of that uncomfortable tension.

For those that don't know what Trataka is, I'll explain Trataka with a candle flame. It's pretty simple. Trataka just involves the continuous gazing at an object (in this case, candle flame) until tears begin to flow from the eyes. Blinking should be avoided, or at least kept to a bare minimum. This has the effect of exercising the optical nerve in order to release tension. That's all there is to it. There are more advanced variants of this technique of course, but I practice Trataka more as a shatkarma than as an actual meditational/concentration technique. So I won't get in to that..

The second tool I would like to share is something that I'm sure most people here are familiar with; Surya Namasakra, or Sun Salutation. I find Surya Namaskara to be the perfect sequence of asanas to prepare one to enter pranayama and meditation. This is because it systemically combines stretching of both the upper and lower body with both forward bending and backward bending into one fluid, graceful sequence. It even gives you some partial inversion benefits from the forward bends. The only thing totally left out is a spinal twist..though I'd be hard-pressed to think of any asana sequences which include a spinal twist (unfortunately). Daily practice of Surya Namaskara has had more a profound impact of my flexibility and ability to develop muscular relaxation than anything else. I would HIGHLY recommend this practice to anyone. Surya Namaskara can be a complete asana practice in and of it's self. Especially when time is short.

If anyone is looking for an authentic guide to all aspects of the sun salutation, I would highly recommend the book Surya Namaskara by Satyananda Saraswati. It is the most concise, and easy to understand guide to the technique I have found. It even has alternate techniques for beginners who may not initially be able to properly perform all the postures.

Here is a link for it on amazon;

http://www.amazon.com/Surya-Namaska...04500&sr=8-1

Edited by - Clear White Light on Jan 27 2010 10:37:45 AM

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  11:12:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
BTW, In lesson 71 of the AYP Book, Yogani lists a perfect little set of asanas. These are asanas that I have used all my life and are the only one's I ever do. You can combine with a little kumbhaka and even mantra for a little power boost.

Adamant
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  11:22:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by adamantclearlight

BTW, In lesson 71 of the AYP Book, Yogani lists a perfect little set of asanas. These are asanas that I have used all my life and are the only one's I ever do. You can combine with a little kumbhaka and even mantra for a little power boost.

Adamant

Here is a link to the starter set that Adamant is talking about:
Asana Starter Kit - Poses 1-14
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  2:03:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

quote:
Originally posted by adamantclearlight

Adamant

Here is a link to the starter set that Adamant is talking about:
Asana Starter Kit - Poses 1-14

Oh perfect. Yeah, this series of asanas is really ideal. You should take these up right away.

Adamant
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000