Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Comparing Ramana's Inquiry w DM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kvelan

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  11:29:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit kvelan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I'd like to share some recent thoughts.. Over the new year, I have had the blessed opportunity to visit Ramana Maharshi's ashram in India. While I was there, I thought of giving Ramana's inquiry approach a go at the meditation hall.

My experience was good. None of the bells and whistles, but with each inquiry I "lose" my mind again and again--This could easily go on for 2-3 hours per session without getting up. I don't strain but just easily being silent, and when I notice thoughts, I inquire. The only holdback to the duration of the meditation is my legs getting numb due to prolonged sitting; there was no other discomfort as a result of the practice itself. I could easily do 3 session of such sittings per day.

Now, thinking aloud, my DM experience is not very different--I "lose" my mind with the mantra, again and again. Only that, I am very sensitive to DM. My current practice includes 5mins SB, 15mins DM, and 5mins samyama. Anything more than that is not sustainable--I am very prone to energy overruns and headaches if I increase any of the components. And I have been meditating for a long period now..

I was simply wondering why this is so...

standingstone

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  4:14:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit standingstone's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My first thought is that it's completely incongruent to "overload" on who you really are.

lucky you, to visit Arunachala btw

Go to Top of Page

alwayson2

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  6:17:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Next time you meditate, focus on your legs and feet.

This will allow you to avoid those symptoms

Edited by - alwayson2 on Jan 04 2010 7:25:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

kvelan

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  08:19:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit kvelan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your inputs...

I was merely wondering, as to why I am so sensitive to DM practices and not at all with the ramana's techniques, despite, in my opinion and experience, that they work on the same principles--bringing the mind to stillness.

standingstone, yes I am lucky indeed. I loved the place, it was a very restful and peaceful getaway. :)

kv
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  10:11:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by kvelan

Thanks for your inputs...

I was merely wondering, as to why I am so sensitive to DM practices and not at all with the ramana's techniques, despite, in my opinion and experience, that they work on the same principles--bringing the mind to stillness.

standingstone, yes I am lucky indeed. I loved the place, it was a very restful and peaceful getaway. :)

kv

Hi KV,
I am not aware of Ramana's technique, so when you say " I don't strain but just easily being silent, and when I notice thoughts, I inquire.", what do you mean? Inquire into what?

The reason DM is powerful and causes overloads if done for a long time is becasue of the use of the mantra. The mantra itself has a purifying effect on the nervous system, along with the process of losing it and coming back to it. So, doing "i am" for a long time will result is too much purification, which can be uncomfortable. Does this help?
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  10:38:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi everyone, and thank you Kvilan for sharing with us the sent of Sri Bhagavan's still abiding presence; if i am ever to go to India that's my first place to visit.

i've practiced both of the techniques (self enquiry these days when i feel inclined to)

Ayp's Deep meditation and Sri Ramana's self enquiry IMHO work on the same level concerning taking the mind into silence\stillness but with Self enquiry you have the opportunity to let the mind dive much longer into stillness bcz of the time you can stay without overloading.

the difference is that AYP'S DM involves a lot of kundalini stimulation whereas Sri Ramana's method of Self enquiry into the who is having the thoughts which is the I and then enquiring who is that I and staying quiet and surrendering and observing works mostly on the Shiva aspect "silence" and doesn't include a lot of the kundalini fire works.

both of them are very good methods which bring forth intense stillness, but AYP'S DM is much more aggressive.

namaste
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  03:33:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello again, a great way to use Self inquiry is to use it in core samyama practice as well.

it seems like it's headed that way anyways, so why not go right to it.

Lesson 351 – Adding Self-Inquiry to Core Samyama Practice
http://www.aypsite.org/351.html
Go to Top of Page

kvelan

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  08:40:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit kvelan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti,
Ananda has basically said what I intended to. With Ramana's Self-Inquiry, I sit easily in silence until I notice a thought--any thought--and then I inquire as to whom the thought rises. The answer is always to "I". Subsequently, asking who this "I" refers to, will lead to silence. There is no answer, and the mind subsides. The process is repeated throughout the sitting.

I feel this process of repeatedly bringing the mind to stillness is not any different from the DM. Its effective, and operates on the same principles.

Thanks Ananda, for your comments. I think you are right.. It really feels that Ramana's inquiry method does not involve kundalini or the energy aspects as intensely as DM does--so the reason for sensitivity to DM. But on the Inner silence component, they are similar, or at least that's what I feel.

Its good to know there are others, who have had likewise experience... all the best!

kv
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  2:03:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
dear Kv, i was wondering if during your visit there you've met any saints or attended any good satsangs.

would appreciate any feedback.

L&L
Go to Top of Page

omarkaya

Spain
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  05:57:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit omarkaya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello the fact of having headaches may not have any thing to do directly with meditation,and it could be something linked to the healt of your stomach or intestines,watch if you empty your intestines completely every day,constipation is the mayor cause of headache.just a possibility.
Go to Top of Page

kvelan

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  09:43:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit kvelan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ananda

dear Kv, i was wondering if during your visit there you've met any saints or attended any good satsangs.

L&L

Hi Ananda,

I was very much hoping to meet saints--but unfortunately I didn't. The situation is not as straightforward as we, who have not been to India, imagine. Spirituality and religion is a lucrative profession and it clearly shows. I figured its wiser to disregard saints, especially those who claim so. This is not out of disrespect or ego. But I'd rather trust the yoga tools shared here in the AYP, to make small steps towards enlightenment, than bet on finding illuminated guru to help me with a short cut. If the future brings me across one, I'd be grateful-but I'd do fine anyway. This is exactly what brought me to AYP and yogani--"The guru is in you".

Apologies for blabbering on...
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  11:10:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by kvelan

quote:
Originally posted by Ananda

L&L

Hi Ananda,

I was very much hoping to meet saints--but unfortunately I didn't. The situation is not as straightforward as we, who have not been to India, imagine. Spirituality and religion is a lucrative profession and it clearly shows. I figured its wiser to disregard saints, especially those who claim so. This is not out of disrespect or ego. But I'd rather trust the yoga tools shared here in the AYP, to make small steps towards enlightenment, than bet on finding illuminated guru to help me with a short cut. If the future brings me across one, I'd be grateful-but I'd do fine anyway. This is exactly what brought me to AYP and yogani--"The guru is in you".

Apologies for blabbering on...

appreciate the feedback, much thanks.

namaste
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000