AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 favorite types of self inquiry
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  9:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
in Yogani's book on self inquiry he talks about how some types will resonate with someone and some types dont. Kind of like for me to say "this is not real" or something similar kind of scrambles the brain and things like "I am that", pointing at a tree, seem to be easier to release. as many here have been on the path, what are your favorite questions/statments for self inquiry?
"and so this too shall pass"

thanks
brother Neil

Edited by - brother neil on Jan 22 2010 9:16:53 PM

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  03:53:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi neil,

I think its not saying "this isnt real" each time a tought appears.Is more like asking "¿Is this thought real?" and then you release it in stillness.Then the answer comes later in any way.

Its not forcing you mind to think "im that"/"im not this". Its just asking and releasing.

Some questions i use:

I am suffering : ¿whos suffering?...
when im with non confortable due to x experince: ¿Is/are this story/-es real?...
or sometimes when im more trascendental i ask "who am i?"

There are also other toughts/feelings that are more difficult to manage,rooted deep inside me.Then i use katies four questions,with paper and pen.

quote:
Kind of like for me to say "this is not real" or something similar kind of scrambles the brain and things like "I am that", pointing at a tree, seem to be easier to release

Neil,Scrambles the brain cz its non relational self inquiry."I am that" pointing at a tree sounds a bit relational also in my opinion...The quetion is that you dont have to try to convince your self about anything with such affirmations,cz that affirmation comes from the mind.I think you are forcing the things with that kind of work.

Hope this helps.

Edited by - miguel on Jan 23 2010 06:43:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  05:10:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Who am I?
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  05:40:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I like who am I or what is this. But ultimately, for me, asking if a thought (or anything else for that matter) is real is kind of pointless. I mean, any experience is real - that is what it is, an experience, somethign you are expereincing. Point. I could ask you: when is an experience unreal?

What is relevant for me is to see that experiences come and go, change every moment, but I am ever present. So, who am I? But still, this question, is not one that begs for an answer. It is more like that of a child that marvels at the wonder of creation and asks (for the pure enjoynment of the inquiry) "who made all this"? She does not really want an answer. She wants, with this question, to connect directly with the wonderful miracle that is this life.
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  06:16:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Whos having this experience?" is a good question also.
Answer comes as a conection with truth more than a mental answer (non relational s.i./casttles in the air)).

Just ask,with total detachment and no expectations of any kind.Dissolve the question in stillness.Forget about it.the question works by itself inside,dont worry about it.Answer comes spontaneously and many times you will not percieve it...but its working.Dont expect any time,place or kind of answer cz it works beyond normal perception.Let it go.Just continue asking when you feel you need it.

Edited by - miguel on Jan 23 2010 06:29:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  08:29:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Rather than ask a question, look at the thought/emotion as it appears; examine how it appears, from where. Where does it go? Observe the thought's appearance as a discrete phenomena under investigation. Observe the observer, What color, shape, size, internal or external? Examine awareness like this as well.

Adamant

Edited by - adamantclearlight on Jan 23 2010 09:24:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  09:57:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The two questions I ask myself most frequently are, "Is it really true?", and, "How can you know for sure?"

I find that these questions in particular are VERY useful at breaking down belief systems which may be built upon a faulty foundation.

Edited by - Clear White Light on Jan 23 2010 10:01:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jivaakabhasana_Yogi

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  11:14:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jivaakabhasana_Yogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A few years back began a spontaneous form of inquiry for me, and I'd not ever heard of anything similar.

I would first mention that it was not intellectual, rather similar to samyama...whether sitting in meditation or going about life, was the spontaneously arising "intention", "What is there, that I am not?"

I began then, to experience every-thing, thought, movement, perception, etc...as rising up "within", sustaining for the briefest moment, and dissolving...into "what" I can't say exactly...I have never "lost" this recognition since this began a few years ago, although sometimes it is more "obvious" than other times.

Even the "I" that this was "happening 'within' " seemed to be arising in, again, "what" I literally cannot say, there is only the arising, abiding, dissolving, and they are all the same "thing."

Strangely "what is there that I am not?" doesn't seem to "expand" an ego sense, rather, similarly to popping a baloon with a needle, the "pressure inside equilized with the pressure outside," albeit before, "during" and after remained the same "atmosphere." If it can be called an experience, I could relate it to an infinite expansion of consciousness, and at the same time an infinite contraction, or perhaps a full recognition of, the ego sense, and its place in "things."

~Jivaakabhasana_Yogi
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  11:56:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jivaakabhasana_Yogi

A few years back began a spontaneous form of inquiry for me, and I'd not ever heard of anything similar.

I would first mention that it was not intellectual, rather similar to samyama...whether sitting in meditation or going about life, was the spontaneously arising "intention", "What is there, that I am not?"

I began then, to experience every-thing, thought, movement, perception, etc...as rising up "within", sustaining for the briefest moment, and dissolving...into "what" I can't say exactly...I have never "lost" this recognition since this began a few years ago, although sometimes it is more "obvious" than other times.

Even the "I" that this was "happening 'within' " seemed to be arising in, again, "what" I literally cannot say, there is only the arising, abiding, dissolving, and they are all the same "thing."

Strangely "what is there that I am not?" doesn't seem to "expand" an ego sense, rather, similarly to popping a baloon with a needle, the "pressure inside equilized with the pressure outside," albeit before, "during" and after remained the same "atmosphere." If it can be called an experience, I could relate it to an infinite expansion of consciousness, and at the same time an infinite contraction, or perhaps a full recognition of, the ego sense, and its place in "things."

~Jivaakabhasana_Yogi

Nice.

Adamant
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  9:55:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by adamantclearlight

Observe the observer

I dig this one more than asking questions.

When I do ask questions, I use Mooji-ish questions like "Who is experiencing this?" and "Can the seer be seen?". Tried The Work for a while, but found it too formal for me. But I still use "Is it true?" when thoughts come up in daily life.
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  10:03:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for yuor insights, Ill reread this a few times and let it be
thanks
Brother Neil
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000