Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Tactile Imaging?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WSH

USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  11:51:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello all,

My question is in regards to visualization when doing spinal breathing pranayama. Some time ago I learned a technique call tactile imaging, where the use of body sensations was used as a form of visualization as apposed to the use of inner vision.

The concept is that one is able to feel subtle changes occurring in the body such as: tingling, warmth or changes in temperature (within or on the body), air movement etc. This proved to be very helpful for me in doing visualization work because I was never very good at visualizing images in my head.

I used this tactile imaging in the past when doing spinal breathing pranayama, (not the AYP approach) with good results. Rather than being able to see the thin tube in the middle of my spine with my inner eye, I was able to feel a tingling sensation starting at the root with the in breath climbing to the brow and was than able to trace the tingling sensation back down to the root on the out breath.

My question is as to whether or not it is OK to do this tactile imaging technique when doing the AYP approach to spinal breathing pranayama. Any thoughts or insights into this matter as always would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again to all.

WSH

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  1:12:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi WSH,

This is exactly how I perform spinal breathing pranayama. I use my sense of body awareness (or tactile imaging if you wish) exclusively for SBP. Eventually as the spinal nerve begins to awaken, the movement up and down the spine will become a reality instead of something we have to half-imagine in order to proceed with the technique. So, I think you're doing just fine. This is the way that most people who are poor visualizers practice this technique.
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  2:24:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's like a chicken before the egg kind of thing. Some people have a hard time sensing themselves, so there's the visualization. Some people have a hard time visualizing, so there's the direct sensation. In time, these both converge, one's visualization will give way to directly sensing the flows in the channels. Also, one's sensing will become a direct seeing of the light in the channels. It is a balanced approach to do a little of both at the same time.

Adamant
Go to Top of Page

WSH

USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  1:45:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both.

The encouragement is always helpful and appreciated.

WSH
Go to Top of Page

Ten Chakras

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  10:20:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ten Chakras's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by adamantclearlight

It's like a chicken before the egg kind of thing. Some people have a hard time sensing themselves, so there's the visualization. Some people have a hard time visualizing, so there's the direct sensation. In time, these both converge, one's visualization will give way to directly sensing the flows in the channels. Also, one's sensing will become a direct seeing of the light in the channels. It is a balanced approach to do a little of both at the same time.

Adamant

I agree with this. Eventually, and preferably, you begin to develop a synesthesia between the senses. This is possible because forming new nerve connections in the brain doesn't require billions of years of evolution.

The nerves connecting the body to the brain aren't really any different than the nerves connecting the eyes to the brain. The retina in the eye is designed to be super sensitive to light, but ultimately, it converts into an ordinary nerve pulse. It's how the brain interprets this nerve impulse that creates the images of lighted objects. As an experiment, just before you sleep, while laying in bed, apply firm but gentle pressure to your closed eyes. Continue massaging the eyes for a minute or two, then stop. You should 'see' lot's of 'stars' and patterns of light. This is because the nerve in the eye responds to any basic stimulus like any nerve does, like pressure. Whether it be pressure, or light hitting the retina, the brain sees light!

Over time, the part of your brain that receives signals from the body as something you 'feel', will start to form nerve connections with the parts of your brain that 'sees'. This will only happen with active practice, however. Seeing what your body feels is a very powerful skill, and not something to take lightly.

Chicken or the egg though. It's important to embrace our talents, and develop our weak points until they are strong. If you are a strong 'feeler', then start with that and try and connect the 'seeing' brain to your feeling brain. If you are a strong 'seer', then start with that and try to connect your 'feeling' brain to the 'seeing' brain.

Or, it's okay to just feel too. But I don't personally recommend taking human visual potential so lightly
Go to Top of Page

WSH

USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2010 :  8:12:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you 10 Chakras,

Very interesting reply. I agree with what you are saying.

Even though it is easier for me to feel sensations in my body, I am trying to "see" them as well. I am sure with continual practice I will make those nerve connections you speak of.

Thanks for your help.

WSH
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000