Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Spinal Breathing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  10:25:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

Hi All!

Does Spinal Breathing have to be done on an empty stomach? How long should one wait, if so, after a regular meal?

Peace

Edited by - AYPforum on Jan 24 2010 6:42:10 PM

Parallax

USA
348 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  11:41:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rael,

Spinal Breathing is meant to be followed directly by Deep Meditation. And with DM the preference is to practice on an empty stomach. The idea being that DM slows the metabolic processes of the body as we move to Silence, which is more difficult to do if our digestive fires are roaring right after eating. Its difficult to try to make the body try to do 2 things at once (ie, slow down and speed up). Also, some of the mudra's and bandhas (like Uddiyana) are less comfortable to do on a full stomach.

The preference is to do morning practices before breakfast and evening practices before dinner; I don't recall the exact time to wait after eating a meal, but I try to wait at least 2hrs.

That said, given my schedule, that's not always possible so I just do my best. If its a choice between doing sitting practices shortly after having eaten or not all, I would pick honoring the 2x daily routine.

Much Love
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  12:10:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Parallax! (Great name!)

Thank you...your answer takes care of it!

Love and blessings

Rael!
Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
348 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  1:34:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Rael! And good luck with your practices!!
Go to Top of Page

omarkaya

Spain
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  2:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit omarkaya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
udiyana bandha and nauli its imperative to perform them with an empty stomach,moola bandha with empty intestines,the only pranayan that you can perform any time is ujayi.source "atha yoga pradipika"
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  4:04:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by omarkaya

udiyana bandha and nauli its imperative to perform them with an empty stomach,moola bandha with empty intestines,the only pranayan that you can perform any time is ujayi.source "atha yoga pradipika"

Hi Omarkaya!

How long do you fast before practice? I know that fruit takes only half an hour to leave the stomach but i have heard great variations on regular food...from 2 hours (above) to 5 hours elsewhere.

Thank you!
Rael
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  4:24:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rael:

Let me point out that there are no "imperatives" in AYP, only suggestions combined with your own common sense.

Whenever someone says something has to be absolutely a certain way, you can be sure you are not receiving AYP advice.

Sure, it is better to do sitting practices on an empty (or nearly empty) stomach. But it is not "imperative." Use your common sense and do what works for you. One size does not fit all.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  4:34:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

Hi Rael:

Let me point out that there are no "imperatives" in AYP, only suggestions combined with your own common sense.

Whenever someone says something has to be absolutely a certain way, you can be sure you are not receiving AYP advice.

Sure, it is better to do sitting practices on an empty (or nearly empty) stomach. But it is not "imperative." Use your common sense and do what works for you. One size does not fit all.

The guru is in you.

Thank you so much Yogani! Slowly but surely i'm gettin that!

The Guru is in us!
Go to Top of Page

omarkaya

Spain
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2010 :  6:31:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit omarkaya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Rael,even the guru is in you,is very cautious to wait always three or 4 hours from your last meal,sometimes our inner guru can teach us out of pain ,why taking such risks?being cautious is allways good,most of all when we arent sure.
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2010 :  11:33:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by omarkaya

Rael,even the guru is in you,is very cautious to wait always three or 4 hours from your last meal,sometimes our inner guru can teach us out of pain ,why taking such risks?being cautious is allways good,most of all when we arent sure.

Thank you Omarkaya, for all you offer me!

Peace
Sincerely
Rael
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2010 :  6:42:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000