New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2010 :  3:07:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

There could be some confusion arising in this thread by the use of the term "bindu". In my own experience there are at least 3 different bindus, one in the third eye in front of the forehead, one above the crown, and one in the centre back of the head. They all have different functions. If we are pulling up references, and saying "this person says this about the bindu", or "this person says that", then it may help to clarify which bindu they are talking about.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

alwayson2

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2010 :  5:14:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My bindu is the AYP/Yogananda star surrounded by concentric rings.

http://www.aypsite.org/92.html

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=3248

Edited by - alwayson2 on Jan 24 2010 5:19:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2010 :  7:00:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gumpi,

quote:
Sorry for not clarifying. The spiritual eye is what Paramahansa Yogananda's teachings explain, that it is concentric circles with a 5 pointed star in the centre of them. It is a gold ring, with a purple/blue centre inside that, and a silvery white 5 pointed star right in the middle. He says that you pass through this and penetrate the star in the middle and that leads to samadhi or what he calls cosmic consciousness.

As I understand it, Paramahamsa Yogananda talked about the attainment of Christ consciousness through the piercing of the bindu at the ajna chakra (third eye), and the attainment of Cosmic consciousness through the piercing of the bindu at the crown chakra.
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2010 :  7:39:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
the bindu is not the ajna chakra and it is not the crown chakra. christ consciousness means being in the blue part of the spiritual eye all the time and penetrating the star means going into cosmic consciousness or complete samadhi. the ajna chakra is the medulla which has its polar opposite the point between the eyebrows. and at that point you see the spiritual eye and then pass through it

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2010 :  7:58:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gumpi,

I don't know if you are familiar with the book, but Yogananda explained his teachings relating to these matters in his commentary on the Bible called "The Second Coming of Christ". He wrote in there about the relationship between Christ consciousness and the piercing of the bindu at the ajna chakra, and about the relationship between Cosmic consciousness and the piercing of the bindu at the crown chakra.

It is a beautiful book, and I am sure you would enjoy it if you have not read it already.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2010 :  8:19:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by gumpi

the bindu is not the ajna chakra and it is not the crown chakra. christ consciousness means being in the blue part of the spiritual eye all the time and penetrating the star means going into cosmic consciousness or complete samadhi. the ajna chakra is the medulla which has its polar opposite the point between the eyebrows. and at that point you see the spiritual eye and then pass through it

I take it this is based on personal experience and of course your deep and compelling knowledge of chakras.

Check this one out-http://www.bindu.org/

'Great adepts', Gumpi- they are clearly talking about you.

Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  12:01:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi :)
On S1-P3-A, "Self-Realization Fellowship techinique: How to Meditate" from the SRF lessons it says this:

quote:

What is important is fixing the the whole attention at the point between the eyebrows. This is the Christ Consciousness center, the seat of the single eye spoken of by Christ: "The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light" (Mathew 6:22). When the purpose of meditation is fulfilled, the devotee finds his consciousness automatically concentrated at the spiritual eye, and he experiences, according to his inner spiritual capicity, a state of joyous divine union with Spirit.

Making a steadfast effort, the beginner may in time perceive light, or even see the spiritual eye of three colors -- a reflection of the actual luminous eye in the medulla oblongata (at the base of the skull where it joins the neck). This single eye of light reflected in the forehead is the astral eye of intuitive omnipresent perception. It takes deep concentration and calmness to behold the spiritual eye; a golden halo surrounding a circle of blue, in the center of which palpitates a five pointed star. Those who do see the spiritual eye should strive to penetrate it by deeper concentration and by devoted prayer to God.

(bolding is mine for emphasis)

So, according to this excerpt, what you are seeing at the brow is a reflection of the actual luminous eye in the medulla.

However, Norman Paulsen, who was a disciple of Yogananda say, in his "Sacred Science" book, page 129, this:
quote:

As your meditations deepen, the all-seeing eye of your soul will reflect the light and body of Christ, that is shining above your head, upon the screen before your gaze. This is the light at the end of the tunnel.

and then on page 140:
quote:

If you cannot yet see this star or sun, visualize it. Practice and pray for the presence of Christ to descend through the crown of your head, the prism door, to the pituitary center, the throne of God. The entrance to the inner-dimensional tunnel, and the body of Christ, will eventually appear when you least expect it, reflected on the screen of your concentration.

According to both of these sources, it appears that by focusing on the the third eye a screen of concentration is built which then reflects the light/vision.

However, the SRF lesson excerpt is saying that Christ Consciousness exists at the medulla, whereas Norman Paulsen is saying that Christ Consciousness, the body of Christ, is the star located above the head.

This if somewhat confusing, I admit. What exactly is Christ Consciousness? It sounds like the Advaita oneness to me.. read on.

According to "The Essence of the Bhagavad Gita as explained by Yogananda Paramhansa":
quote:

His next perception is of Kutastha Chaitanya, or Tat, the Christ conciousness behind the vibrations of his body -and the center of the very vibration of the body, reflecting the motionless Spirit beyond creation. Gradually his consciousness expands with the Christ consciousness, or Tat, until he perceives it as infinite. It is after reaching that stage, my Guru explained to me, that one may be called a master. Thus, in the Sanskrit expression, "Tat twam asi," meaning, "Thou art that," the word "Tat" has a deeper meaning than most people realize. What it really means is, "Thou are 'that': the Infinite Consciouness."
Beyond Christ consciouness, in the eternally watchful state, resides the Supreme Spirit, Sat.

To further complicate all of this, of course you know that there are two versions of "Autobiography of a Yogi", the one that came out in 1946, and the one that came out in 1974. If you look closely at the following quotes, you will see that somebody edited the more recent version.
From 1946:
quote:

"The medulla, principal entrance for the body's supply of universal life energy (Aum), is directly connected by polarity with the Christ Consciousness centre (kutastha chaitanya) in the single eye between the eyebrows: the seat of man's power of will. Cosmic energy is then stored up in the seventh centre, in the brain, as a reservoir of infinite potentialities (mentioned in the Vedas as the "thousand-petaled lotus of light.") The Bible refers to Aum as the Holy Ghost or invisible life force that divinely upholds all creation. "What? Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?" — 1 Corinthians 6:19."

Paramahansa Yogananda
Autobiography of a Yogi, Self-Realization Fellowship, 1974, p. 363.

and then this from the First Edition, 1946:

quote:

* Matthew 4:4 Man's body battery is not sustained by gross food (bread) alone, but by the vibratory cosmic energy (word, or AUM). The invisible power flows into the human body through the gate of the medulla oblongata. This sixth bodily center is located at the back of the neck at the top of the five spinal chakras (Sanskrit for "wheels" or centers of radiating force). The medulla is the principal entrance for the body's supply of universal life force (AUM), and is directly connected with man's power of will, concentrated in the seventh or Christ Consciousness center (Kutastha) in the third eye between the eyebrows. Cosmic energy is then stored up in the brain as a resevoir of infinite potentialities, poetically mentioned in the Vedas as the "thousand-petaled lotus of light." The Bible invariably refers to AUM as the "Holy Ghost" or invisible life force which divinely upholds all creation. "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? " - Corinthians 6:19

So again, in both of these quotes, Cosmic energy is stored in the crown chakra, and if you think about it, it does not say that the cosmic energy came from the medulla of the ajna. Nor does it say the cosmic energy came from the sahasrara; it is stored there. So, the cosmic energy must have come from the star above the head.

The whole head aparatus seems to be a triple part holographic device that is activated by concentration on the third eye (ajna) which is a reflective device that causes the door at the top of the head to open, enabling the light from the star which exists above the head to bring it's light down and charge up the pineal and pituitary glands as well as the spinal path or sushumna. This is my current interpretation..

:)
TI
Go to Top of Page

michaelangelo7

USA
89 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  10:38:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit michaelangelo7's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
from my expereince the white star is seen inside the head, not above. masters also call the nada, the Bindu Nada, there is a Upanishad called Nada Bindu. Some masters refer to bindu as the sounds and not the lights. Bindu is an extremely generic term. The 3 bindus at forehead, top of head, and medulla are all EQUAL. Its a matter of personal preference to where one concentrates his/her attention. SOme yogis listen to the sounds at the forehead, the medulla, or atop of the head, in my expereince the sounds can be listened to at either of these 3 places, neither one of them surpassing another in intensity, they are the same, i will hear the bells drums flutes etc.. at either of those 3 places. Listening to the sound streams/AUM at either of these 3 places will cause the prana to rise into the head/brain, making the brain a resonance chamber for the sounds or if you are focusing on the lights.

Some masters regard the astral eye (spiritual eye is an inaccurate term in my opinion) as the highest goal. some master say the sounds are the highest. i will say that its very naive and ignorant to think that seeing astral light is the final goal, when in reality the only thing that has occurred is you switching your awareness from your physical body to your astral/subtle/pranic/rainbow/light/etheric body which has its seat in the head. When one pulls his/her awareness out of the body, that is rising above the brows/medulla, he/she will see/hear astral light/sound, its nothing more than this, don't try to spin it into the Ultimate Supreme God, because its not. I have read about masters who penetrate the star and go into samadhi/trance and then come out and are nasty and mean to their disciples. It is just astral light that anyone good or bad person can come into contact with, it is not the supreme goal.

There are Indian princes and kings that have kept the secrets of the astral lights/sounds(kundalini mahayoga) secret for aeons. They only allowed the priest class to know it. The other classes in the caste system were not taught this. Indian kings and other kings like ancient Egypt for example (On King Tut's throne chair there is the golden ring with the blue center AKA the astral eye). i can dig out the picture if u want. But my point is kings tried to use seeing astral light as their "divine right to rule" when in reality most ancient kings were not saintly men, were in fact very corrupt, but they could see astral/pranic light with their 3rd eye/pineal gland, so it went straight to their heads, thinking they were divine when they were the scum of the earth. anyone can see it,and anyone can go into samadhi which is just a sanskrit term for "trance" and somehow lately in this modern era has been elevated to a supreme status which i highly disagree with, in my opinion it is just a trance just like when shaman go into a trance with their special herbs and plants and have cosmic visions or out of body etc....

and as for christ consciousness, christ and all other great yogis just utilized the great power of ether or free cosmic energy or prana to attain all their siddhis. prana is accessible by anyone, read about the battles between the devas and asuras, gods and demons, in vedic literature, they have 3rd eye siddhis/powers just like the gods and wage wars in the heavens or astral plane. yogananda in autobiography of a yogi mentions this a little bit

and i do not agree with yogananda's breaking down of what the astral eye means. to me christ and cosmic consciousness are the same. some people dont see the astral eye as a golden ring blue center with a white star. in my own experience i have seen the white star as an orb/sphere like a full moon, i was close to it about the size of a baseball or tennis ball, there was no gold or blue, i have however seen gold and blue lights seperately not as concentric rings. everyone's astral eye visions are different, so to classify the blue part as christ consciousness and the white as cosmic consciousness is inaccurate in my opinion as not everyone sees it like this. i also disagree with his view on chakras in the brain particularly. as i have said and other masters have said, the thousand petal lotus is between the brows, at the medulla, or atop of the head, either one is fine to focus on and either of those 3 will yield the same results of astral lights and sounds. bhagavan nityananda calls it the Triadic Heart of Shiva, those 3 making a triangle in the brain

Edited by - michaelangelo7 on Jan 25 2010 12:25:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  10:49:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Parahansa Yogananda was a marketing genius who made yoga interesting to Westerners by weaving yoga and christianity. Is there some point where you say, "this here is christ consciousness, but this here is cosmic consciousness, that there is buddha-nature and over there yonder is brahman?" We have the tools to move beyond this sort of conjecture and deal directly with the phenomenology of things.

Adamant
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  11:01:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
P.S. The chakras and bindus don't really correspond to a part of the brain. The chakras have to do with feeling, attention and habit energy. The brain has no feeling. Docs can do brain surgery with no anesthesia of the brain, creepy but true. So trying to understand chakras by way of anatomy is a bit of a distraction. Chakras are to be understood from personal experience.

Adamant

Edited by - adamantclearlight on Jan 25 2010 3:24:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

alwayson2

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  1:12:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by michaelangelo7
On King Tut's throne chair there is the golden ring with the blue center AKA the astral eye

I have to look for this
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  1:29:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Akasha, i never claimed to possess knowledge of any of this stuff. I am describing these things according to what i have read, as i imagine a lot of people here do too. Thanks for your very helpful "support" though.

Christi, as far as i am aware, Yogananda never mentioned the bindu anywhere and especially not in his Second Coming of Christ book. He was very clear that the third eye is a reflection of the plexus at the medulla and that passing through this eye leads to cosmic consciousness. I have never read anything he wrote where he says the bindu is blue or the crown chakra.

Since all these experiences don't seem to tally from one individual to the next i am inclined to think that all this stuff is simply hallucinatory in nature. Likewise the idea that you "bring the star down" to other chakras and so on sounds like a nice visualisation practice but i haven't heard of it anywhere before. It sounds like a kind of self-made practice. I have said enough before on this website about my scepticisms so there is no need for me to repeat it here again.

Go to Top of Page

michaelangelo7

USA
89 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  1:50:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit michaelangelo7's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
here

http://heritage-key.com/blogs/prad/...olden-throne

off to the right, you will see the gold ring with blue center on the stand. also notice the spiritual star or sun above shining down on him and his wife

Edited by - michaelangelo7 on Jan 25 2010 1:55:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  3:26:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
michaelangelo7, You might have a low opinion of Indian kings and princes, and surely most were corrupt politicians, but not all were. Many were enlightened. And many brahmins suffered from great corruption as well. Anyway, the Hopi place the crown as the place where we directly connect to heavens, and in Tibet the heart is the most important chakra. Wisdom and compassion, not intelligence and power.

Adamant

Edited by - adamantclearlight on Jan 25 2010 3:30:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  4:53:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gumpi,

quote:
Christi, as far as i am aware, Yogananda never mentioned the bindu anywhere and especially not in his Second Coming of Christ book. He was very clear that the third eye is a reflection of the plexus at the medulla and that passing through this eye leads to cosmic consciousness. I have never read anything he wrote where he says the bindu is blue or the crown chakra.

Bindu is a sanskrit word meaning point or dot. So 1.5 in sanskrit would be "eka bindu pancha". It also has the meaning of a "zero point" in the time space continuum. So although Yogananda may not have used the word bindu, by referring to the "piercing of the star" with consciousness, through which we enter a different realm of existence (heaven) he was referring to the passing through a bindu. Likewise, his references to the realization of cosmic consciousness by passing through the crown chakra, are references to passing through a bindu.

The bindu at the ajna chakra is not in the chakra itself, but is beyond it in the kutastha, just as the bindu at the crown chakra is not in the chakra itself, but is above it, just above the brahmarundra. These things can only be seen in the akash (the most subtle of the elements) and can be known through direct experience through continued practice.

"The third eye is the gateway to Christ consciousness and the crown is the gateway to Cosmic consciousness" [Paramahamsa Yogananda, The Yoga of Jesus]

Christi

Edited by - Christi on Jan 25 2010 5:36:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  6:50:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christi, i have not read "the yoga of jesus" although i understood it to be condensed versions of The Second COming of Christ only. If they contain material that differs from each other, i was not aware of it and i doubt that your quote above is anywhere in the SCOC book. For starters, Yogananda doesn't refer to the spiritual eye as the third eye in general. He only says that the spiritual eye has other names such as the eye of wisdom, eye of shiva, star of the east, and so on. He probably referenced the words "third eye" with regard to his terminology "spiritual eye" in comparisons.

In any case, i don't see the revelence of this discussion here, Christi. You have said before that you don't consider the star of importance by calling it "scenery". This is clearly not the teaching of Yogananda.

Again, i have to say that i don't speak from experience if experience means experiencing things in meditation that aren't universal. I am explaining things i have learnt from reading and studying. It doesn't make what i say invalid, just not palatable to others that think they know better.
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  8:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I totally understand now why Yogani leaves chakras out of his teachings. It's just another form of dogmatism, with one tradition saying the other missed a bindu or a chakra or got the color wrong. None of this has anything to do with legitimate practice. What is legitimate is that during meditation colorful stuff happens in one's field of vision. That stuff is a kind of information against which one has feedback about one's concentration. You are are about to walk into a hall of mirrors debating the christ consciousness yoga dharma connection.

Adamant
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  8:20:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
P.S. My experience with the Togal teachings and the crystal-kati channel was a road back to where I started. The bindu and the colors are just a feedback about one's concentration.
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  9:01:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi TI,

quote:
Originally posted by Tibetan_Ice

Hi Kirtanman :)
I'm surprised that you did not reference the Kabbalah definition of the bindu. I found this:

link: http://www.kabbalahsociety.org/PDFs/kenton1.pdf

One has to draw the line somewhere!

quote:

"Interconnected with Vishuddhi chakra is Bindu Visarga. Very little is known and written about it as it is beyond the realm of all conventional experience. On the Jacob's Ladder it would relate to the Yesod of Beriah, which underlies the Daat of Yezirah. "Bindu is a trap-door opening in both directions." It is said to be the origin of manifest individuality. "From this point or seed an object, an animal, a human being or whatever, can arise and manifest. Each and every object has a Bindu as its base. That which was previously formless assumes shape through the Bindu, and its nature is fixed by the Bindu as well."

quote:

Is this a valid source for interpretation of the Kabbalah? Can you elaborate on that? It makes me think of shape-shifting..

Offhand, I'd have to say "not really."

I've never heard of that resource/person, and while they have some of the buzzwords right, they seem to have much of the rest of it wrong (which I'd say of anyone who connects the bindu with vishuddhi {throat chakra} .. and which, by the way, Kabbalah does not do, either.)

There's much better information on the bindu and its symbolism, all over, including in the Sanskrit language itself (bindu is a nasalized "m" ... as in AUM or AHAM; that letter, the 15th vowel, is literally named "bindu".)

The 14th vowel (AU) is known as the trident (as in the one Shiva carries, and which is the basis for Trika Shaivism, the specific name of non-dual tantric school of Abhinavagupta), and the 16th vowel is a slight h sound, followed by a breath, known as visarga .... emission .... after which follow all the consonants; the "emitted".

These are very major clues to what is being discussed here.

(Bindu is not about a star, or any other form ... it's about who is experiencing.)

quote:

What about this one from the book called "Exploring Chakras: Awaken Your Untapped Energy By Susan G. Shumsky"?

quote:

In Kabbalah, bindu is called “I AM. ...

I did kind of a double-take when I first saw this .... but this is actually closer/clearer (than the first example) to what Kabbalah actually teaches.

Cutting to the chase, though:

Kabbalah's teachings about the bindu are ultimately identical to those of yoga, especially non-dual tantric yoga (i.e. Kashmir Shaivism).

Which is simply that as a symbol, bindu is the gateway to enlightened/fulfilled being-consciousness-bliss.

In the realm of subject-object-perception .... the bindu can seem separate from "you"; it's not.

And so, many paths make this point by pointing out ..... that all experiencing in form, subject-object-perception .... (waking, dreaming, deep sleep, etc. etc. etc. .... ) .... arises from a single point, and therefore .... cannot be separate; they can only seem separate.

Hence all the trouble/confusion.

Just as in yoga, and advaitic tantric paths, Kabbalah uses this three-in-one-in-all model of reality to illustrate ... this point.

Here's a very informative research paper (PDF File) that contains some of the more esoteric symbolism from the world's wisdom traditions (including Vedanta, Kabbalah, Yoga/Tantra, Kashmir {Trika} Shaivism, and the ancient Egyptian {Hermetic} model), and how various symbols (including bindu) map to the way consciousness actually works (in its fulfilled/enlightened condition).

If you (anyone reading this) take the bit of time to read it (it's 15 pages; easy reading {not overly "academic") .... it should help clarify exactly what the symbolism of the bindu is all about.

I hope this is helpful.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

Edited by - Kirtanman on Jan 25 2010 9:06:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  9:02:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by adamantclearlight

I totally understand now why Yogani leaves chakras out of his teachings. It's just another form of dogmatism, with one tradition saying the other missed a bindu or a chakra or got the color wrong. None of this has anything to do with legitimate practice. What is legitimate is that during meditation colorful stuff happens in one's field of vision. That stuff is a kind of information against which one has feedback about one's concentration. You are are about to walk into a hall of mirrors debating the christ consciousness yoga dharma connection.

Adamant

Thank you.

I agree enthusiastically.

Go to Top of Page

alwayson2

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  10:13:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
But I hope people do not deny chakras...

Where do you think you feel emotions?

In the chakras of the physical body

P.S. Another term for bindu is thigle

Edited by - alwayson2 on Jan 26 2010 03:29:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  11:36:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kirtanman :)
Thank you for your response.

quote:
Originally posted by Kirtanman

If you (anyone reading this) take the bit of time to read it (it's 15 pages; easy reading {not overly "academic") .... it should help clarify exactly what the symbolism of the bindu is all about.

I hope this is helpful.

Wholeheartedly,

Kirtanman

That was an interesting read. Interesting to see Ken Wilber's name in there too.
There is another source of information, but likely it is the same interpretation as Muktananda as it comes from the same lineage. It is Mark Griffin. He speaks of the bindu as the little super fast dot that paints all of creation, the little blue pearl..

Here is the link (sorry, I had to buy the mp3..)
http://www.hardlight.org/store/bind...6f651797f75e

:)
TI
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  08:34:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by gumpi

Christi, i have not read "the yoga of jesus" although i understood it to be condensed versions of The Second COming of Christ only. If they contain material that differs from each other, i was not aware of it and i doubt that your quote above is anywhere in the SCOC book. For starters, Yogananda doesn't refer to the spiritual eye as the third eye in general. He only says that the spiritual eye has other names such as the eye of wisdom, eye of shiva, star of the east, and so on. He probably referenced the words "third eye" with regard to his terminology "spiritual eye" in comparisons.

In any case, i don't see the revelence of this discussion here, Christi. You have said before that you don't consider the star of importance by calling it "scenery". This is clearly not the teaching of Yogananda.

Again, i have to say that i don't speak from experience if experience means experiencing things in meditation that aren't universal. I am explaining things i have learnt from reading and studying. It doesn't make what i say invalid, just not palatable to others that think they know better.

Hi Gumpi,

It's relevant because this is a thread about the star and it's importance in relation to yoga. I was quoting from memory, but I'll happily get you the exact quote as it seems important to you. And yes, I believe that "The Yoga of Jesus" is a collection of quotes from the larger two volume "Second Coming of Christ", so it would be surprising if it was not mentioned in there.

Just to mention, I have never said that the star is unimportant. Actually I believe it is very important, and I believe it is a milepost on the way to enlightenment. What I have said about the star in relation to scenery, is that if it appears during meditation, or samyama or spinal breathing, or any other spiritual practice (other than star-gazing), it should be treated as scenery. In other words, we notice that it is there, and continue with the procedure of the pactice that we are doing at the time.

This is not because the star itself is unimportant, it is because seeing the star is a result of our practices, and it is those practices which first enable us to see the star, and later enable us to be filled with the light of heaven. Seeing the star doesn't amount to much if we do not become filled with the divine light, and carry that light to others through service in the world.

Christi

Edited by - Christi on Jan 26 2010 11:08:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  08:39:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by adamantclearlight

Adamant

Hi Adamant,

Just to mention, Yogani doesn't leave chakras out of his teachings. Chakras are covered in a lot of detail, including the ajna chakra and the star.

It is covered here:

http://www.aypsite.org/92.html

Christi

Edited by - Christi on Jan 26 2010 08:53:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  09:09:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kirtanman,

quote:
Quote:
"Interconnected with Vishuddhi chakra is Bindu Visarga. Very little is known and written about it as it is beyond the realm of all conventional experience. On the Jacob's Ladder it would relate to the Yesod of Beriah, which underlies the Daat of Yezirah. "Bindu is a trap-door opening in both directions." It is said to be the origin of manifest individuality. "From this point or seed an object, an animal, a human being or whatever, can arise and manifest. Each and every object has a Bindu as its base. That which was previously formless assumes shape through the Bindu, and its nature is fixed by the Bindu as well."

quote:
TI wrote:

Is this a valid source for interpretation of the Kabbalah? Can you elaborate on that? It makes me think of shape-shifting..

quote:
Kirtanman wrote:
I've never heard of that resource/person, and while they have some of the buzzwords right, they seem to have much of the rest of it wrong (which I'd say of anyone who connects the bindu with vishuddhi {throat chakra} .. and which, by the way, Kabbalah does not do, either.)

I have occasionally heard of a connection mentioned in yoga between the bindu chakra (top back of head) and the vishuddhi chakra. The relationship is connected with the transformation of amrita which is produced in the bindu chakra and transformed in the vishuddhi chakra before descending lower down in the body. When the process is not working properly because of obstructions in the nadis or chakras, then, it is said, the process results in a contracted state of consciousness (the creation of persons), but when it is functioning in it's pure state it results in divine consciousness. This would make sense with the references to Beriah and Yezirah from tha Kabbalah.

So the reference may be in connection to that aspect of spiritual transformation.

Edited by - Christi on Jan 26 2010 09:48:06 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000