Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 nadi sodhana/ sbp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  2:08:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

Just a question,cz im a bit confused due to recent disscussions in this forum...

is nadi sodhana only a relaxing tool? does it not bring balance and energy cultivation also?

Must be considered this nadi sodhana as a practice in terms of self pacing or its only a relaxing tool and its not necesary to self pace?

Im looking for some balance and maybe would be better to add some sbp to my sadhanna.Only a minute.Or maybe some bnadi sodhana followed by sbp at the same time: relaxing + energy cultivation/balance (1 mtes + 1 mte before meditation).

PS-I have felt some balance and energy cultivation with nadi sodhana,but maybe a little effect and nothing to do with sbp.Im not sure anyway,and im confused now.

Thank you.

Edited by - miguel on Jan 16 2010 2:11:11 PM

christiane

Lebanon
319 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  03:14:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit christiane's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Miguel

in my experience, ANB (we call it suka pranayam here) is meant to
balance ida and pingala.
The effect is relaxing and balancing with some pleasurable energy running in the spine.. but overall, it's a very smooth exercise that shouldn't lead to overload..
And again according to my experience, i found out that it is a good preparation for SBP and the rest..
It settles the ground in a gentle way.

So I don't think you will face overload problems, but at the end it's up to you.. try it for some minutes and see how it all feels.

Love
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  09:29:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok,thanks christiane.
Go to Top of Page

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  10:25:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Miguel,

Nadi Sodhana is not simply a relaxation tool. It all depends on how it is being taught. For instance, in the tradition as taught my satyananda saraswati, nadi sodhanna includes mudras, bandhas and kumbhaka..all energy raising techniques. In this instance, self-pacing is critical. However, if all one is doing is alternate breathing through the nostrils without retention or bandhas, incidence of energy overloads should be low. Unless of course one happens to be very sensitive..
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  12:22:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks cwl.Yes,i practice alternate nostril only.Im sensitive but i think risk is low also.So i have decided to practice it before 1 mte of sbp.Its very relaxing tool and helps.
Go to Top of Page

christiane

Lebanon
319 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  2:12:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit christiane's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi again Miguel and CWL,

yes, CWL is right and i should have pointed out that the alternate nostril breathing i was referring to was without any mudras, bandhas and kumbhaka.
Simply a shifting between both sides, as slowly and lightly as it feels comfortable.
starting from left nostril, we breathe out, then we breathe in.
After breathing in fully, we shift to the right nostril.
And again we breathe out and in.

Love

Edited by - christiane on Jan 17 2010 2:30:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2010 :  3:16:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much christiane.Yes,that the kind of practice im doing.Very useful.

love.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2010 :  3:46:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to add my experience of alternate nostril breathing combined with kechari and why I gave it up.
After learning kechari as a daily practice I thought that it would help with alternate nostril breathing pranayama so I went the full route. Kumbhaka, chin pump,bandhas, kechari alternate nostril breathing etc. All at once. Did this for maybe six months or so and it felt just fine.It had been a bit tricky to decide which nostril to use for which direction of head circles but i had finally worked out that going clockwise worked for the right nostril and counterclockwise for the left so all was going well. At that point however Yogani cautioned me that less is more, and that doing nadi shodhana with bandhas and kumbhaka had been imbalancing for him. I had been reading some of the AYP discussions on alternate nostril breathing with AYP and so started to examine how I was doing this practice.
First thing that occurred to me was the teaching of not restricting the inhalation and I have definitely felt this to be true and beneficial to remember, so restricting the inhalation to a single nostril wasn't really helping so I dropped that. Well that felt very good, nice and smooth and open. I though that exhaling through a single nostril would be fine and it was at first.
Then I discovered that if one does chin pump that exhaling through a single nostril using kechari to regulate leaves a certain level of tension at the end of exhalation, you don't release all of the air so when I bgan to exhale through open nostrils the exhalation was deeper and a full release.
So, I am now doing pranayama with open nostrils, chin pump and kumbhaka and natural easy bandhas that are not grips but the bodys gentle guiding of the energy flow. feels really right.
Hope this wasn't too technical but maybe my observations may help some of you in understanding the details of this process

Edited by - Victor on Feb 04 2010 3:48:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Yogsadhak

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  01:05:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yogsadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Clear White Light

Miguel,

Nadi Sodhana is not simply a relaxation tool. It all depends on how it is being taught. For instance, in the tradition as taught my satyananda saraswati, nadi sodhanna includes mudras, bandhas and kumbhaka..all energy raising techniques. In this instance, self-pacing is critical. However, if all one is doing is alternate breathing through the nostrils without retention or bandhas, incidence of energy overloads should be low. Unless of course one happens to be very sensitive..

I have read in Swami Satyananda Saraswati's works that Nadi shodhana in the advanced stages with bandhas,mudras and at very high ratios is sufficient in awakening and raising kundalini even without spinal breathing and deep meditation, In fact Swami Sivananda's book, Kundalini yoga he gives two pranayamas awaken the kundalini: Nadi Shodhana and the other is spinal breathing from muladhar to Sahasrar.

what are your opinions on this Miguel,YOGANI and others?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000