AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Ramana's ongoing Self inquiry and Yogani's samyama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  7:09:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
namaste kind ones,

i have some questions on samyama for you today.

first: simply put i overload a lot on core samyama practice, so i don't have the choice of taking on all the 10 sutras (including the Self inquiry sutra.)

so instead i am practicing the Self inquiry sutra alone for 4 repetitions.

now the Self is the Truth, and Jesus said that we should look for that first and then of everything else we shall be filled.

so for me this makes it legite to practice samyama on the Self inquiry sutra alone.

but of course i am really more interested in an experienced opinion rather than mine, so is my approach good or am i doing things the wrong way?

second: Self inquiry is already a continual habit for me during daily activity and i undertook it before i was even introduced to samyama.

and now after i took on the practice of samyama with this new sutra alone, my ongoing Self inquiry is starting to work more and more like the same way as it does in my samyama session.

so it goes without saying that i am afraid from stumbling into overloading land again and some of the signs that i might overload have payed me a little visit today at the crown area...

so how should i approach this whole thing?

i mean i practice Self inquiry the way taught by Sri Ramana Maharshi and he suggests that the inquiry should be ongoing throughout the day at all times...

but after using it in samyama and seeing both of the practices being integrated together i really don't know if i should stop my samyama session or my ongoing Self inquiry habit.

would appreciate any feedback.

kindest regards,

Ananda

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  7:21:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
oh and forgot to say, that the practice is bringing an outpouring of bliss all over the place but definitely more intensely during my 2 daily sessions until sometimes there's nothing but bliss left.

during daily activity it's much lighter but the waves of bliss are still there but not all the time and being busy and interacting with people a lot seems to self pace me in that area but Self inquiry is still there but not to the same degree.

L&L
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2010 :  7:21:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ananda

but after using it in samyama and seeing both of the practices being integrated together i really don't know if i should stop my samyama session or my ongoing Self inquiry habit.

Go with it.

This has been my method of self inquiry for a while. I just did it with Katie's technique.

At first I did Katie's technique all the way... ask 4 questions, turn it around. But after a while it changed for me where For me, I would ask "is it true?" and let it go in stillness.

Self inquiry will refine itself as your access to inner silence increases.
At first it (self inquiry) is a very mindy process, you are looking for answers at the mind level.
Then it refines to an inner knowing process, although the mind may not be happy with the answers it gets, there is an inner knowing that brings peace.
Then it is an inner knowing.

You are doing fine I think Ananda. I would go with it.

PS: And you know the rules of self pacing... keep that in mind always. But you don't have to let go the practice, you can just reduce the frequency of doing the practice if you are on the edge of overload.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  01:35:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you for your feedback sweet Shanti, it's very much appreciated.

namaste
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  08:00:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ananda:

On self-inquiry, it is natural that it becomes more powerful when strengthened with abiding inner silence and the habit of samyama. It might seem a bit presumptuous, but Ramana Maharshi probably never counted on these elements coming into play so fast, so the recommendation for self-inquiry all day long in his day was not likely to be an overload. More likely to be non-relational (not in stillness). Not the case with AYP in the picture, where the inquiry becomes relational (in stillness) much sooner, and therefore more powerful.

So self-pace your practice time accordingly. Your choice on whether to do that in sitting practice or in daily activity. Probably some of both. With deep meditation and samyama components involved, you are dealing with a much more powerful self-inquiry practice than Ramana taught. It is a good thing, but don't wear yourself out with it. More time to relax and enjoy (be) the timelessness of non-duality.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2010 :  10:24:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
have to stop using this as a sitting practice, too much crown activity going on... guess i am not ready yet; so it's back to the old Self inquiry where it felt much peaceful and safer.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000