Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Finding it hard to get inside the spine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  7:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Lately some difficulties have come up with my SBP practice. I hope you all can provide me some insight which I can use to more forward.

My main problem is that I have difficulty creating the upward and downward movement through my body unless I follow along the front side of my body, rather than through the center where the spinal nerve is. When I allow my attention to follow the breath, I find myself naturally using the sensations of breathing (expanding and contracting of abdomen, ribcage etc) to "trace" the pathway. If I don't use these physical cues I feel somewhat lost and as if I can only follow up and down in the most vague and ineffective way, often skipping large portions of the pathway and not really keeping my attention synced up with the breath very well either. However, by doing it this way I also realize that I am not really "getting inside myself" to where I need to be; the spinal nerve. However, I cannot really feel the spinal nerve.

Should I abandon this way of tracing the pathway (which allows me to experience far more of the path) in favor of the more vague sense of movement I get when I do not follow the physical sensations?

Also, I find it very difficult to do the "turn forward" to the point between the brow when I come up from the neck into the ajna area. Because of this, I find myself "jumping" from throat to ajna all at once. I suspect this also has something to do with my primary problem; My lacking ability to really get inside my body.

If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated,

Thank you very much,

CWL

PS, I know we are supposed to visualize a tube connecting the perineum and ajna, but I cannot really do this voluntarily, so I use my sense of body awareness instead.

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  8:25:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I personally think you are doing fine. Don't make a mental effort of spinal breathing, as long as you are going up during in breath from root to third eye and down during out breath, you cannot go wrong. The practice will refine itself. So don't get caught up in the finer points, your practice will change by a lot. Just keep going the way in which there is least distraction and you will be fine.

Just one clarification, when you say front side of the body, you mean stomach, chest, throat... or you are still following the spine up the back and neck, but just following it from a front view rather than a back view?

Also, jumping from throat to third eye is fine. It will smooth out.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000