Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 initial aspects of pranayama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jamuna

Australia
104 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  12:45:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have previous experience in meditation from another source and recently added spinal breathing to my routine. When I practice spinal breathing especially when I gently lift the area of my perineum I feel a tide of sensation wash up my spine, it isn't limited to my spine and radiates outward through my torso and arms, the sensation is quite pleasant. It only happens on inhalations and causes my eyelids to flicker and jaw to jitter on the occasions it manages to travel high enough up my spine.

questions,

Is this the energy I should be visualising traveling to my brow and down again?

I seems natural to follow the movement and pace of this sensation when visualising rather then my own imaginary pathway, should I? or am I giving preference to scenery?

Also this experience seems to diminish the longer I practice spinal breathing and increase when I begin spinal breathing in a serene state of mind. This made me wonder if my calmness was affected by the sensation, it seems to have a cup of coffee affect on my body.

I am reasonably new to this and have not read the AYP literature and mudras and bandas or tantra, so if there is applicable lessons there that I could be directed to that would be appreciated. None of these experiences are unpleasant in the slightest I am just curious as to others experiences and want to make sure I am not getting sidetracked.

Thank you

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  03:24:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi jamuna, and welcome to the forums.

that's Shakti energy and these are good signs, they are proof that the practice works.

concerning what you gotta do during practice, no matter what happens it is suggested that we follow the easy procedure of spinal breathing pranayama as is.

and in case it's a nag for you to do the whole visual stuff inside, just go up and down along the spinal nerve from root to third eye and then backwards down the same route on exhale.

i wish you all the best on your path.

enjoy!

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  08:02:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by jamuna

I
I seems natural to follow the movement and pace of this sensation when visualising rather then my own imaginary pathway, should I? or am I giving preference to scenery?

Women(I am assuming you are one because of your name, please do forgive me if I am wrong) do have a natural tendency to pull energy upward. The trick though is to pull this energy up the spine rather than let it move upward out into the whole body (the way you are experiencing it). The thing that will help the most with this is to practice spinal breathing. This helps focus the energy up and down the spine. It is a matter of training yourself to to this. So the best thing for you to do, even if it sounds like a drag, because the other way the feelings and scenery is so much better... is to stick to the lesson. It's like learning to play the piano. If you don't learn how to use the fingers right, you may be able to play fine, but as the music gets more complex, your wrong way of playing will get in the way.

So yes, let go the scenery, and stick to the practice as described in the lesson. Before you know it, you would have mastered this.

As to what other lessons may help. You can add mulabandha, sambhavi mudra and siddhasana. Not all at once. Add them on as suggested in the lessons. Once you are stable in these practices, you can look into tantra as you seem to have a natural tendency to pull energy upward.

Wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

jamuna

Australia
104 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  8:54:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for taking the time to comment, I will take on your suggestions.

Namaste
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000