Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Spontaneous Pranayama?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  4:50:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello Friends....

I found myself doing pranayama quite out of nowhere today while at work and I am wondering if it is dangerous to allow this to continue. My forehead was (still is) burning and I could very easily feel the energy coursing up and down my spine. My practices as of late have become very deep and quite energy filled and I know I am on the verge of over loading...but if it is spontaneously happening then it is meant to happen right? Wrong? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Love,
Carson

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  4:59:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson.
If your body is doing that,i think maybe it means your self needs it now.Allow your body express itself,it is wiser than the mind.Its my advice.Hpe it helps

Edited by - miguel on Apr 08 2009 5:07:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  5:08:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Have you read all there is to read on "automatic yoga" in the lessons and forum?

I've been trying to handle this and other types of automatic yoga since the start, and what I've understood from all feed-back I've gotten from Yogani and others: it's ok, just let Shakti do her thing with you, BUT... automatic yoga can also become too much for the system, and then we self-pace accordlingly.

What I have never managed to get a grip on is how one is supposed to stop the automatic yoga. Is it supposed to be stopped directly when it's happening, or indirectly by doing less practices and other self-pacing things. For me, it's perceived to be quite impossible to control at the moment - I always figured that's why it's called "automatic". Perhaps it's meant to be self-paced by diminishing practices so that there is less energies stressing the system, thus reducing automatic yoga overall after a while. Nobody has ever been able to give a straight answer on that one. I look forward to more wisdom around this. Thanks for bringing the topic up!
Go to Top of Page

des022

USA
24 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  10:05:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes I start doing pranayama automatically at work too. Its usually out through my mouth. I enjoy these moments when they come up. Everything just seems really deep and interesting. I just let it happen
Go to Top of Page

vd007

USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  1:04:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

I find myself doing the spontaneous spinal breathin pranayama. As soon as I sit either to work or read or watch a movie or when there is no pressing engagement like work meetings, my mind starts doing this automatically. It just does not stop. I try to self pace by doing mundane activites by cleaning dishes and cleaning the house. But how much of cleaning can one do?

Are we supposed to stop this spontaneous spinal breathin pranayama out side of sitting pracitices or let it continue.

If we are supposed to stop it, how to stop it? (If I let it continue it will goes on for an hour or hour and a half).

Any response will be very appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  8:42:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi vd007,

quote:
Originally posted by vd007

I find myself doing the spontaneous spinal breathin pranayama. As soon as I sit either to work or read or watch a movie or when there is no pressing engagement like work meetings, my mind starts doing this automatically. It just does not stop. I try to self pace by doing mundane activites by cleaning dishes and cleaning the house. But how much of cleaning can one do?

If you feel OK in daily in life, then nothing to worry about, in my experience.Although energy overload is a bit of aforeign word for me.
quote:

Are we supposed to stop this spontaneous spinal breathin pranayama out side of sitting pracitices or let it continue.

If there are no adverse-side effects llike discomfort or an irrritable restlessness then i would let it do it's thing as it knows best. Your nervous sytem has an intellgence of it's own .Although if it is really taking over the suggestion is to try to tame it abit. Like a wild horse though i would let it's run it's course but i'm not sure how strong these are- if they are actual automatic kriyas that some experience and report here.

quote:
If we are supposed to stop it, how to stop it? (If I let it continue it will goes on for an hour or hour and a half).

If you feel better after it, then there is reaally nothing to do.Nothing to fear.

That is my gut feeling.The ecstasy feelings, they say, can be the result of friction caused by inner obstructions within being lodged through deep cleansing.Energy or prana flows more freely as things are loosened up.

Others that do experience 'energy overloads' regularly, if i understand what is meant by that, may have something else to say.

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  10:28:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by vd007

Any response will be very appreciated.

Yes, you are right, you should only practice spinal breathing during your sitting practices. Doing it during the day can result is overloads.

What to do during the rest of the day, between practices?

Check this out:
Self-Inquiry -- A Practice Between our Meditations
Go to Top of Page

vd007

USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  11:50:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks Akasha and Shanti for your input. It really helps.

What I wanted to convey is there are some side effects of this spontaneous pranayama.There are wierd and distracting sensations in the head. Sometimes there is a feeling being spaced out. Its not very bad but distracting at the same time. Though I have tried grounding or diverting my attention but as soon as I am not doing anything else, the spontaneous pranayama starts. I end up doing 2-3 hours a day in bits of 20 mins or so.
Go to Top of Page

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2010 :  6:02:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi vd007,

you definitely shouldn't be doing spinal breathing for more than 10 minutes twice daily in your regular practice routine.

Weird sensations in the head and feeling spaced out are likely the first symptoms of overdoing it. If you continue in this way, you'll eventually be forced to self-pace anyway because of the uncomfortable symptoms. Remember there is also a delayed effect with pranayama, so be careful, the full effects of overdoing can kick in later and may be more intense than you wished :)

It is not necessarry to be finding this out the hard way. Take care.
Go to Top of Page

vd007

USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  2:29:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks tadeas for your help
Go to Top of Page

aypsisya

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  2:34:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit aypsisya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
taedeas,

what do you mean by delayed effect ?

quote:
Originally posted by tadeas

Hi vd007,

you definitely shouldn't be doing spinal breathing for more than 10 minutes twice daily in your regular practice routine.

Weird sensations in the head and feeling spaced out are likely the first symptoms of overdoing it. If you continue in this way, you'll eventually be forced to self-pace anyway because of the uncomfortable symptoms. Remember there is also a delayed effect with pranayama, so be careful, the full effects of overdoing can kick in later and may be more intense than you wished :)

It is not necessarry to be finding this out the hard way. Take care.

Go to Top of Page

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  3:19:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi aypsisya,

it usually takes some time for the effects of practices to manifest fully. So when one starts with a practice, it's good to not overdo it from the beggining, because you can't tell what the reaction is going to be in a few weeks. So you let it stabilize and when everything seems ok, you can proceed adding on time or some other practice. Especially with pranayamas it's better not to overdo, and wait for the effects to kick in and then proceed wisely :)

When you're using a lot of practices and especially practices that combine in powerful ways (like spinal breathing and deep meditation), it's advisable to go at a pace you're comfortable with and not more. Same as when you're driving you don't want to go over a cliff because you just didn't want to put your foot off the gas :)

Yogani says:

Lesson 280 - Kundalini Reminders - http://www.aypsite.org/280.html
quote:
While the big experiences may seem like a lot progress-wise, they are all baby steps. The real big progress comes from long term stable daily practice. And that can be with no big jolts at all. In fact, the big jolts can lead us into energy overdoses that can delay our practices for days, weeks or months. An intentional big jolt breakthrough approach is a slower path!

Which is not to say we will not ever have them. It can can happen sometimes, as you have experienced, even with a stable practice routine. It is a reminder that we are dealing with powerful forces within, and should keep that in mind as we manage our practices day-to-day. If we are pushing too hard in practices, we can have this kind of delayed reaction. Therefore, it is good to keep a smart foot on that accelerator (our practices).

and

Lesson 355 – Deep Meditation Reminders - http://www.aypsite.org/355.html
quote:
It sounds like you are getting some delayed reaction from using a "full boat" of practices earlier. It can seem fine, but underneath a lot is being loosened – and then one day the dam breaks. This is why we add practices carefully one at a time, and give them plenty of time to stabilize before adding more (months at least, not days or weeks), so we will know what the effects of each practice will be over a longer period of time, and can navigate accordingly.

It will take a little while to settle down, but it will. Be sure to continue self-pacing and grounding as needed. Also keep in mind that bhakti and any other spiritual activities we are engaged in can aggravate an overload. So self-pacing reaches beyond the AYP practices alone.

Found this by searching for "delayed reaction" on this website.
http://www.google.com/search?q=site...yed+reaction

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000