Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Meditation Sensitivity?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WSH

USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  10:12:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello all again,
As promised I am back with some more questions in relation to the Deep Meditation practice. I am curious if it is possible to be both over and under sensitive to the practice. I have been doing DM for about a month now, twice daily for twenty minutes (with the exception of the recent holidays where I had to make some adjustments because of a busy travel schedule) followed by a five minute rest period. I am not noticing much of anything happening. I know this is not a long time period to be doing the practice, but I would think something might be noticeable, at least in my daily life. In the beginning a did feel a sense of greater peace and stability in my life, but to be honest I think a lot of this had to do with the excitement of taking on a new practice that seemed to be a good one which gave me a since of hope. Lately I have been feeling a sense of irritability creeping in during the day. I don’t know if this is a result of the stresses in my life or the DM. I recently discovered that after 10 years in a professional career I do not care too much for my job. I also have recently transferred (this week) to a new office which I like even less, so career stress or DM? Prior to AYP I was involved in heavier practices such as many forms of pranayama, lengthy meditations 1-2 hours at a sitting and other forms of intense energy work with little direction. What was happening as a result was that instead of peace willing up in me I was felling highly irritable and agitated in my daily life even over very benign or inconsequential things, almost to the point of feeling rage at times. One of the last practices I undertook prior to finding the AYP site was a form of energy work where energy was felt and then directed to different energy centers of the body (chakras) followed by forms of spinal breathing. This practice was shorting me out. Soon after beginning to do this practice I developed a rash and felt light headed and nauseous at times because of too much energy being released in my body. I guess this is one of the pitfalls of not having a spiritual teacher (guru) to help regulate or guide your practice. Thank God for this forum. I backed off simply because I did not like the way I felt. Not enough though. The feelings of sickness left but I was still highly irritable. I was still engaged in strong forms of spiritual practice just not as intense. I know I can be long winded to get to the point, but I guess a little background never hurts when seeking advice. I guess my question is can the DM be causing these symptoms of irritability to return. It is odd because I read the lessons on over and under sensitive meditaters and it seems like I am both. I don’t feel like much is happening during or after the DM. In fact it is often hard for me to allow the mantra to come back without forcing it. My thoughts often run rampant with very little mantra coming in and it seems like I stay very much on the surface of the mind. My late afternoon or early evening meditation seems to be better than the early morning one for some reason. Maybe I should lay off the coffee first thing in the morning prior to doing DM? I know it has been said that the greatest gauge of DM progress is how one feels in their daily life. So with the irritability coming back in perhaps I need to back off. In fact today I have cut my sessions down to 15 minutes to see if that helps. This is hard for me because of have a strong desire to meditate for long periods of time. Even cutting down to 20 minutes when starting DM was not easy for me. Maybe I am expecting too much too soon which I suppose can be a hurdle when it comes to the practice as well. At this point I am not seeking enlightment, because I think that is an ongoing process of constant unfolding or flowering that is eternal in nature. Sure I will always have the burning questions from where did I come, why am I here and where am I going if anywhere? But what I would like for now is to find greater stability, peace and joy in my life and not to be so irritable. I want to be a beacon of joy for my two beautiful young children and my wife and everyone really for that matter, which can inspire them to want the same for their lives. I don’t want to be irritable and hurt anyone with my attitude or irrational verbal responses do to irritability. Any advice or help in this matter would once again be greatly appreciated. Best of wishes to all!

WSH

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  11:32:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by WSH

Hello all again,
As promised I am back with some more questions in relation to the Deep Meditation practice.

I am curious if it is possible to be both over and under sensitive to the practice.

I have been doing DM for about a month now, twice daily for twenty minutes (with the exception of the recent holidays where I had to make some adjustments because of a busy travel schedule) followed by a five minute rest period. I am not noticing much of anything happening.

I know this is not a long time period to be doing the practice, but I would think something might be noticeable, at least in my daily life. In the beginning a did feel a sense of greater peace and stability in my life, but to be honest I think a lot of this had to do with the excitement of taking on a new practice that seemed to be a good one which gave me a since of hope.

Lately I have been feeling a sense of irritability creeping in during the day. I don’t know if this is a result of the stresses in my life or the DM. I recently discovered that after 10 years in a professional career I do not care too much for my job. I also have recently transferred (this week) to a new office which I like even less, so career stress or DM?

Prior to AYP I was involved in heavier practices such as many forms of pranayama, lengthy meditations 1-2 hours at a sitting and other forms of intense energy work with little direction. What was happening as a result was that instead of peace willing up in me I was felling highly irritable and agitated in my daily life even over very benign or inconsequential things, almost to the point of feeling rage at times.

One of the last practices I undertook prior to finding the AYP site was a form of energy work where energy was felt and then directed to different energy centers of the body (chakras) followed by forms of spinal breathing. This practice was shorting me out. Soon after beginning to do this practice I developed a rash and felt light headed and nauseous at times because of too much energy being released in my body. I guess this is one of the pitfalls of not having a spiritual teacher (guru) to help regulate or guide your practice.

Thank God for this forum.

I backed off simply because I did not like the way I felt. Not enough though. The feelings of sickness left but I was still highly irritable. I was still engaged in strong forms of spiritual practice just not as intense. I know I can be long winded to get to the point, but I guess a little background never hurts when seeking advice.

I guess my question is can the DM be causing these symptoms of irritability to return. It is odd because I read the lessons on over and under sensitive meditaters and it seems like I am both. I don’t feel like much is happening during or after the DM. In fact it is often hard for me to allow the mantra to come back without forcing it. My thoughts often run rampant with very little mantra coming in and it seems like I stay very much on the surface of the mind.

My late afternoon or early evening meditation seems to be better than the early morning one for some reason. Maybe I should lay off the coffee first thing in the morning prior to doing DM? I know it has been said that the greatest gauge of DM progress is how one feels in their daily life. So with the irritability coming back in perhaps I need to back off.

In fact today I have cut my sessions down to 15 minutes to see if that helps. This is hard for me because of have a strong desire to meditate for long periods of time. Even cutting down to 20 minutes when starting DM was not easy for me. Maybe I am expecting too much too soon which I suppose can be a hurdle when it comes to the practice as well.

At this point I am not seeking enlightment, because I think that is an ongoing process of constant unfolding or flowering that is eternal in nature. Sure I will always have the burning questions from where did I come, why am I here and where am I going if anywhere? But what I would like for now is to find greater stability, peace and joy in my life and not to be so irritable. I want to be a beacon of joy for my two beautiful young children and my wife and everyone really for that matter, which can inspire them to want the same for their lives. I don’t want to be irritable and hurt anyone with my attitude or irrational verbal responses do to irritability.

Any advice or help in this matter would once again be greatly appreciated. Best of wishes to all!

WSH

Hi WSH :)
It sounds like you are using meditation as a form of escape, and understandably so. Yes, daily stress will hinder your abilities to let go and be more peaceful. Meditation should not be a means of escape. Meditation is a way to discover the inner peace that lies within our hearts and become one with God.

Detachment and space. That's what you need right now.

These are simple Tolle techniques: Take three deep breaths and at the end of the third exhale just relax and say to yourself "Right now everything is fine". Don't focus on the past or the future. Just be here now.

Practice watching your thoughts in spare moments of the day. Learn to recognize that your thoughts are just thoughts, they are not you. Become detached from your thoughts. Watch them dispassionately. Put some space in between you and your thoughts.

Say "YES" to the present moment. Accept whatever exists in your life at the present moment as simply "what is". Don't fight anything or dwell on anything too long. Recognize it and Let Go. Say "YES" to whatever is. Take some moments in every day and just practice that. A few moments here and there...

And please don't be insulted or take this the wrong way: You need to put a little space in your writing too. After reading your post I felt gnarly in my gut and compressed in my head! Your sentence structure and spelling are great! You just need some space :)

Generally speaking, it is good to put one common idea in a paragraph. The first line in a paragraph usually introduces a topic and then the body of the paragraph elaborates on that topic. The final sentence in the paragraph can summate or lead into the subject of the following paragraph. Doing so gives the reader some space thus making it easier to read. It is like the mantra: "I AM", pause-space, "I AM", pause-space..etc.

I have reformatted your clump of sentences into paragraphs. Can you see the difference in readability? (Note: I'm not an English expert and it doesn't matter to me if you take my advice or not.. just thought I'd mention it. )

An AYP suggestion to alleviate irritability is to rest after deep meditation.

I would suggest keeping on meditating as in AYP deep meditation and have some patience. Don't force anything and just relax. You are doing yourself a world of good even if it doesn't feel like it. Establish a routine for the long haul.

If you persist and do your best eventually you will notice moments of deeper silence. You might also want to add a short pranayama routine like bhastrika or taking five deep breaths before starting meditation just to help you relax and establish some space.. :)

Sincerely,
:)
TI

Edited by - Tibetan_Ice on Jan 08 2010 06:35:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2010 :  08:39:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by WSH

Lately I have been feeling a sense of irritability creeping in during the day. I don’t know if this is a result of the stresses in my life or the DM.

Cut back on meditation time and increase rest time after your practice. 99% of the time, not getting enough rest after meditation causes irritation during the day. I know you said you take 5 min of rest, maybe some more will help. So cut off 5 - 10 min from the meditation time and rest during that phase. Also, maybe add a few rounds of spinal breathing just before your meditation.
This lesson may help: Lesson 15 - Meditation Q&A – Restlessness

Also, do you exercise at all? If not, try to add some movement to your life, go for walks, join a gym, exercise, dance. Do some mindless fun stuff like watch a movie with the kids. Play video games, rock band with them. Do fun stuff that is not spiritual to take your mind off the work situation.

quote:
Originally posted by WSH

Maybe I should lay off the coffee first thing in the morning prior to doing DM?

Yes... absolutely yes. In meditation you are trying to go into stillness and coffee is pulling you the other way. Leave the coffee for after meditation.

quote:
Originally posted by WSH

This is hard for me because of have a strong desire to meditate for long periods of time. Even cutting down to 20 minutes when starting DM was not easy for me.

I had the same thing happen to me. I would meditate for a couple of hours before AYP and when I cut it down to 20 min, the mind would feel I was not doing enough. And when I was told to cut back meditation to 10 min due to overloads, I was even more unhappy. It goes away as you settle into this routine of 20 min twice a day.

quote:
Originally posted by WSH

At this point I am not seeking enlightment, because I think that is an ongoing process of constant unfolding or flowering that is eternal in nature. Sure I will always have the burning questions from where did I come, why am I here and where am I going if anywhere? But what I would like for now is to find greater stability, peace and joy in my life and not to be so irritable. I want to be a beacon of joy for my two beautiful young children and my wife and everyone really for that matter, which can inspire them to want the same for their lives. I don’t want to be irritable and hurt anyone with my attitude or irrational verbal responses do to irritability.

Wonderful. Finding answers does not happen while you look for them So letting go the burning question will give you the answer and more. Enjoy your journey.
Go to Top of Page

WSH

USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2010 :  10:03:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello all,
Thanks again for the fine suggestions. Tibetan Ice I appreciate the writing advice. I will work on it. Escape maybe. It seems like that has been a pattern in my life. Although at this point I am hoping to not run away anymore. I guess that is why I am feeling a little impatient with the DM. I am hoping that this helps me to live more fully and engage life more. Shanti, I have cut down to 15 minutes and that seems to already be helping. Also I am quite active. I jog quite a bit and belong to a GYM which I am trying to go as often as time allows. You are right about doing more fun stuff and less spiritual stuff in my life. My focus for so many years has been intense spiritual pursuits, which has caused a lot of undue anxiety. Again many thanks. Sorry Tibetan Ice about the lack of structure in this response. Blessings to all!

WSH
Go to Top of Page

WSH

USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2010 :  12:17:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Shanti,
I forgot to ask you. You suggested doing some spinal breathing before meditation. Couldn't this be even more distabilizing? I know from past experience that this can really get the energy flowing. Any toughts?

WSH
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2010 :  4:12:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by WSH

Hello Shanti,
I forgot to ask you. You suggested doing some spinal breathing before meditation. Couldn't this be even more distabilizing? I know from past experience that this can really get the energy flowing. Any toughts?

WSH

True. And yet, in many cases it balances the energy too. It did for me. Hence I asked you to add a few rounds of Spinal Breathing and not do full 5 min of it. This way you will know right off the bat, if you are ready for it.
Go to Top of Page

WSH

USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2010 :  9:56:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both,

TI I have not added sambhavi. I am trying to take it slow since I was having uncomfortable symptoms in the past by doing too much too fast. I will look into it.

Shanti, I will give your suggestion about spinal breathing a try. This is a pretty strong form of pranayama and from past experience it produced a lot of energy in me that caused a great deal of discomfort. But I was doing way too much of it, so a few rounds would be worth trying.

Also any thoughts on nadi shodana? I don’t believe it is part of the AYP system but I know that it can be beneficial in balancing energies in the mind and body?

WSH
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  08:54:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by WSH

Also any thoughts on nadi shodana? I don’t believe it is part of the AYP system but I know that it can be beneficial in balancing energies in the mind and body?

Here is Yogani's thoughts on this:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=4139#35423
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

Hi emc:

It is alternate nostril breathing, called "nadi shodana," a very common technique. It is also called "anuloma viloma."

Below is an excerpt from the AYP Easy Lessons book, an addition to lesson 41, which covers it.

As with any pranayama, be careful not to overdo. The combined effects from all pranayamas we do in a given day, regardless of type, will be cumulative. A teacher who offers a limited range of practices may not be aware of the increased potency of any individual practice when combined with a larger range of powerful practices in the daily routine. The same goes for adding intentional breath suspension (kumbhaka) in any part of our routine, which we just covered here: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=4130#35367
(see follow-up posts there as well)

In other words, simple alternate nostril breathing is one thing by itself, and may be something else when added to a full boat of practices like we do in AYP. Always self-pace as necessary.

The guru is in you.

-------------------

Addition to Lesson 41 – Over the months, several have written and asked about a form of pranayama called “nadi shodana.” This is alternate nostril breathing. It is one of the most basic breathing techniques, and is usually the first breathing method taught to beginning students in hatha yoga classes. These days it is also taught by mental health professionals due to its calming influence on the nervous system. Nadi shodana is done by breathing slowly out and then in with one nostril blocked by the thumb of one hand, and then slowly out and in with the other nostril blocked by the middle finger of the same hand. That is all there is to it. It is a well-known practice that brings almost immediate relaxation. Why is it not taught in the Advanced Yoga Practices lessons?

The reason nadi shodana is not used here is because spinal breathing includes the benefits of nadi shodana, plus it is a tremendously more powerful practice with effects extending far beyond those of nadi shodana. The calming effects of nadi shodana come primarily from a reduction of the breath rate by using one nostril at a time – restraint of breath. In spinal breathing, the breath is restrained on inhalation voluntarily with the lungs and on exhalation with ujjayi (partially closed epiglottis), while the attention is used in the particular way of tracing the spinal nerve discussed in this lesson. While spinal breathing does not include alternating nostril breathing, this is not a shortcoming. Otherwise nadi shodana would be included along with spinal breathing. It is possible to do both practices at the same time, but it would be complicating our practice for very little gain. That is one of the guiding principles in all of these lessons – Is there a substantial benefit derived through the addition of an element of practice? If there is not a significant benefit from an additional element of practice, we leave it out. That is how we keep the routine of practices as simple and efficient as possible. Otherwise we would be loading ourselves up with all sorts of supplementary things and risk losing focus on our main practices. There will be plenty of practices added as we go through the lessons that will have huge impacts on results. We want to save our attention, time and energy for those, so we can achieve the most with our yoga.

Still, if you are an avid nadi shodana practitioner, or are strongly attracted to it, it will do no harm to incorporate it into your routine. If you have time, you can do some alternate nostril breathing before spinal breathing. Or you can incorporate it into your spinal breathing session. Keep in mind that nadi shodana is not recommended if you are a beginner in spinal breathing. There is plenty to learn in taking up spinal breathing – new habits to develop – and nadi shodana is not in the mix for the reasons mentioned. But, since it has been asked about by several people, and perhaps wondered about by others, it is covered here.

It should also be mentioned that nadi shodana is sometimes taught in combination with voluntary breath suspension. Breath suspension is an advanced practice and is discussed in detail later in the lessons. Nadi shodana with breath suspension is a different practice altogether, and can be hazardous if done without a good understanding of correct methodology and the effects. If you are a beginner and contemplating using breath suspension (holding the breath in or out) with nadi shodana or spinal breathing, it is suggested you wait until we get into it in these lessons, which is at lesson #91 (on yoni mudra kumbhaka) and beyond. The Sanskrit word for breath suspension is “kumbhaka.”

So, for now, it is recommended you develop a good understanding of spinal breathing and get the habit solidly in place, with as few distractions as possible. The following Q&As will help with that. Later on, there will be plenty more to add. One step at a time...

Go to Top of Page

WSH

USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  2:12:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Shanti.

WSH
Go to Top of Page

WSH

USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  4:16:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello again,

I did actually read the addition to lesson 44 before. I guess a little clarification would be helpful in regards to my question on nadi shodana.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on doing nadi shodana instead of spinal breathing prior to DM. It was not my intention to do both. I found in the past that doing nadi shodana could be very stabilizing when done by itself and not in conjunction with spinal breathing which would lead to overload?

I thought perhaps this might help with the over sensitivity or irritability arising from the DM practice? I must say though that cutting my time back to 15 minutes of DM has helped a lot.

WSH

Also, I am still planning on looking into sambhavi as TI suggested in perhaps helping me with the under sensitivity issues with DM.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  8:26:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi WSH:

TI's suggestion to learn sambhavi during deep meditation is not an AYP instruction. It will lead to a reduction in the effectiveness of your deep meditation sessions, due to dividing of the mind. This is clearly covered in the lessons.

TI should not be posting these instructions in this AYP only support forum category, as they only serve to dilute the practice and confuse those seeking assistance with AYP deep meditation. So the instructions are being removed, and TI is requested to post practices from other systems in the "other systems" forum category.

For AYP instructions on sambhavi, see Lesson 56. You will see that we learn sambhavi during spinal breathing pranayama, not during deep meditation. This avoids dividing the mind during meditation. Later on, as sambhavi becomes an easy habit in spinal breathing, then it may occur naturally in deep meditation, without dividing the mind.

In the AYP system, sambhavi should not be undertaken until we are stable in both deep meditation and spinal breathing pranayama.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

WSH

USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  4:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Yogani,

It is my wish to stick to the AYP system and become stable in the practices in the right order at the right time.

I have not started trying to do sambhavi yet and will not undertake it until its proper time and place.

I am just trying to work out some kinks in DM. Thanks for keeping me on track.

All the best tou as well!

WSH
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000