Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 "I AM" seems to have a life of it' own!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2009 :  08:03:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I love I AM. I started using it as i thought it was described in the text on it, chanting it continually, and i would let my Being rest in the spaces between reps which i did slowly. Yet, when i heard Yogani doing rapid reps on YouTube, i sped it up.

After not too long a time, i noticed that the mantra would take on "life", acting as a portal to move deeper through (like a tunnel) and it would also slow down gradually and sometimes stop altogether, leaving me quiet. I don't force it to speed up or continue when it goes through it's phases, and only use it the usual way when i lets up on it's chosen direction.

Any comments my friends????

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2009 :  2:01:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm interested that you mention a speeding up of the mantra ? Where did you find this ?? My understanding is the mantra assumes it's own pace, fast, slow or a mixture.

Anyway good that it's working out for you.
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2009 :  4:46:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karl

I'm interested that you mention a speeding up of the mantra ? Where did you find this ?? My understanding is the mantra assumes it's own pace, fast, slow or a mixture.

Anyway good that it's working out for you.

Hi Karl!

There is a series of Yogani interviews concerning each of the topics from AYP. I am pretty sure this one had to do with "Deep Meditation", but i saw it awhile ago. There is no visual, just the cover of the book that Yogani is discussing, throughout the video. It's on YouTube.
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2009 :  11:53:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah the mantra can sometimes take on a life of its own, in speed and even pronunciation sometimes changing to a different word. What you are doing is exactly right, letting it be as it is, while favoring saying it when you notice that you don't, while also not "forcing" it when it's not easy to say it mentally (after doing the IAM meditation for a while as the practice matures you just sit down, intend to meditate and the mantra just comes by itself and while meditating refines by itself, it becomes automatic, maybe you're at that stage, I just needed to point it out).

Good job, keep going

Love
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2009 :  4:33:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yonatan!

Great reply, and useful. I m not at the point that it is automatic, but i'm sure it will be...i have another old mantra in my "loop" that may have to relent before this one takes over!...Hah Hah!
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2009 :  3:07:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rael,

The mantra can be fast, slow, fuzzy or clear according to how it is working its way through our nervous system at any given moment..

Sometimes at its subtlest level it can often feel more like a reverberation than any clear word-sounding articulation, if that makes any sense.The mental harmonics become much more refined and the sound of the words as such are no longer discernible. In fact at this subtle level i often find the mantra most effective.Also not forcing is very important( which can lead to discomfort which i found out early on here) which would go along with not going too fast.Miguel described it once as an internal massage(or making love to oneself), and on the sensorial level it can feel really good..There has also been mention of listening to the mantra when we struggle to intone it.This is not what is suggested in the lessons however some might find it useful.Also tAlked about as the mantra doing you, rather thn you doing the mantra.The mantra is obviously just a vehicle for accessing inner silence.

It is most effective when the body-mind is most relaxed ,all part of letting-go,surrendering..Occassionaly you go somwhere but don't know where you are for a sec. when you come to( i experienced this early on) like you say going through a portal( blockages are getting cleared out in the subconcious/unconscious mind)Then realise & go back to mantra. Though i have'nt experienced this for a while now.

The lessons say stick to the simple procedure.My advice is not to force anything( the golden cardinal rule in all yoga ) or go too fast. Let it do it's thing.

p.s It was interesting that about 2 weeks in, that the mantra waas going off in my head many hours after practice, as I waited in the subway- i could'nt switch it off , and then i knew i had become the mantra( abit like the marshamllow -man on ghost busters so be careul what you wish for- hehe) :@)
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2009 :  01:59:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Akasha,

It's amazing that this is the only mantra that i have ever experienced to have this seemingly independent reality of it's own. Soon after i started, i noticed it's uniqueness, since i have done others that were supposed to be very magical and that set-up house in my psyche, but did not take these amazing "courses" through me, as this one does. Some i have done for YEARS!

And, after using it, i do understand what you are saying, but had i not practiced with it awhile, your words would have seemed very abstract.

to you!

Edited by - Rael on Dec 26 2009 6:05:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

wigswest

USA
115 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2009 :  10:56:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The "I Am" mantra felt like a white-hot wriggling snake going from my chest thru my head. I still can't do it. Almost physically hurts.

Am going with a "gentler" "om ah hum" mantra, but still have lots of trouble from involuntarily shifting back and forth between that and buddhist "emptiness" goals in my meditation....what exactly are these mantras supposed to "do", that buddhist breath meditation does not?

Any insight is appreciated... :)
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2009 :  7:45:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Wigs

About half a year ago, i started getting into trouble with heat and still have to be careful with what i do. I eat Macrobiotically Yin foods and laid off any Kriya/Kundalini practices for about 3 months.....hard for an impatient extremist like myself. I was nowhere near at your level of distress, but maybe it would help to employ the Sheetali Breath (anmolmehta.com) for it's cooling effect, eat more fat and such things as fruit, cucumbers, more H2O, organic de-bittered aloe juice concentrate (Lily of the Dessert)and yin food (not super-yin)"The Self Healing Cookbook" by Turner.

The Boddhisattvic practices, as far as i know, create connections with more spiritual force form "Heaven", dry, hot spiritual Chi., which may encourage more heat, now that you are sensitized. But someone else here might have a more astute answer for you?
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  9:48:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
as far as mind of its own, for me I have noticed that when I first start the meditation, I say i am at a faster pace and later on during the meditation it slows down and even if I try to go fast it just cannot happen. The I and am gets more drawn out. I dont really think or analyze it, it is what it is, however it is interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2010 :  05:01:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by brother neil

as far as mind of its own, for me I have noticed that when I first start the meditation, I say i am at a faster pace and later on during the meditation it slows down and even if I try to go fast it just cannot happen. The I and am gets more drawn out. I dont really think or analyze it, it is what it is, however it is interesting.

Brother Neil

Exactly!!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000