Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 breathing and meditation..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wivked

Azerbaijan
19 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  08:44:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit wivked's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi friends.

I have a question about meditation and breathing.

I find it hard to breath and concentrate on an object at the same time.

How can i fix this problem.

Also i find it easier to concentrate on an object than breath.
I think later , when my concentration is better i will move to
vipassana or focusing on breath.

thank you
wicked

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  10:17:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is perfect Wivked. In AYP we don't focus on breath during meditation, in fact people spend a long time trying to unlearn how to not make the breath and mantra sync up.

So I think you are doing great,and are indeed blessed that you don't have to worry about breath in meditation.
Go to Top of Page

wivked

Azerbaijan
19 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  11:12:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit wivked's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Aha thank you for your reply..

one question left:

Is it not dangerous while using this i am mantra ?
I have heard mantra's can stay in your head for a long time.

thx already

wivked
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  11:33:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi wivked,

quote:

I could'nt help but feel like answering this.

there is nothing dangerous about the mantra or using the breath with the mantra, (least as far i asi am aware of) though the latter is not the practice of DM ( focus on mantra,not breath) Mantras staying in your head is a good thing as it brings more inner silence. Unless it is destabilising but core AYP with self-pacing is safe.And any issues that may arise can be rectified. Although i may be speaking as someoone on the under-sensitive end of the (sliding)scale.

I had the same problem i think you're talking of. It went away in less than a month, once the mantra had properly baked in 2-3wks. that's if we're tlaking about the same thing.

Awareness of an object, i. e the mantra will eventually transcend whatever is going on in your body. I think this is where pratyahara is cultivated, introversion of the senses or sensory awareness,incl. the flow of air in & out etc.The mantra should take you deep enough inside providing you are not distracted with bodily tensions , i.e are relaxed, that you will not be aware of the breath and forget about it.

Edited by - Akasha on Jan 05 2010 11:37:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  11:37:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by wivked

That is the reason, in AYP it is suggested that you practice the "i am" mantra only during your sitting practice. Don't chant it or repeat it during the day. This way we don't get into a mantra habit (or as you say,the mantra stays in your head for a long time) .
Here is a nice reply from Yogani on this:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=3473#30015
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

quote:
Originally posted by Christi

I don’t know what Yogani's stance is on the practice, but I have noticed that continuous mantra repetition (japa) has not made it into the top 20 advanced yoga practices in AYP.

Hi Christi:

That's right, and there is a reason for it. There is a big difference between a "meditation habit" and a "mantra habit." One naturally enlivens our normal daily activity with abiding inner silence, while the other divides our thought process between constant mantra repetition and normal activity (which limits the mantra as a vehicle for cultivating inner silence). People with a mantra habit sometimes have difficulty learning the simple procedure of deep meditation because they are so used to mechanically droning on with mantra during all other activity, giving attention to both (dividing the mind), which is not meditation. This is discussed in the deep meditation book.

Which is not to say continuous japa is not useful for some, but it seems to be a small minority of those who use it.

It boils down to the statistics. We aim for reliable results.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

wivked

Azerbaijan
19 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  3:14:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit wivked's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah i see.. Oke
Thank you both and yogani ofcourse :)

I shall try to focus on the mantra.. and i will try not to worry
about breath.

Also using the mantra in daily life is not what i am going to do.

But i often read nisgardatta I AM THAT ..
And he every time says go back to this i am.
Make it a habit to see this i am.

but i will see later on lol

thank you !!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  5:45:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by wivked

But i often read nisgardatta I AM THAT ..
And he every time says go back to this i am.
Make it a habit to see this i am.

In Nisargadatta's case, the "i am" is not a mantra, it is self inquiry... seeing who "I" am, finding the origin of the "I" (mind/ego), seeing through the "I" by doing self inquiry.

In AYP, "i am" is a mantra and we don't attach a meaning to the words, we just use the words for their vibrational quality. If it helps, use the words "ay am".

It is fine to do self inquiry during the day, and ask "who am I?" (but that too in moderation and when one is ready to start self inquiry), but not OK to repeat "i am" in our minds and use it as a mantra all day.

Does this help?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000