AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Where am I now?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  4:34:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

No idea........:@)

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  7:24:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's like i've come full circle back to where i started learning yoga, 4 years ago.

The difference here is now have a lot of tools,knowledge and experience.

I made what might be a significant discovery when i re-viisted nadi shodhana,alternate nostril breathing, last week.It had a very balancing effect.Having worked on sushuman nadi with SbP since i started here in April(09), and having a dominant pingala as a result of a premture K awakening on Nov 25th,06.

Then i happened to read shortly after fortuitously Tibetan Ice's 'Expanded Sushumna' thread where there was link to Swamiji's approach to Kundalini awakening which i must say i found rathe intriguing, particularly alternating the flow of breath through the nostrils using the 'intentionality of the mind'. But i was intirgued when it said the first preparatory foundation is to balnce ida & pingala, before purification of the sushumna channel and thus so this can happen. As K can flow up the Sushumna as a result of this oocuring. And once done this can make for the 'joy' of meditation.In fact we will long to go deep inside .It will not be be something we to have to discipline ourselves to do but the sushumna awakwning it is suggested must oocur bfore this.

-Balance ida & pingala
-Awaken Sushumna
-En-Joy Meditation, going deep inside

He also mentions sushumna appplication- where he suggests hte first step is focusing on the bridge at the nose.Though i have'nt quite grasped the full picture yet.

I am surprised then that given this is prescribed here that it it is not suggested as an adjunct to SbP, as it could allow that little nerve to become bigger. Saying that also it is early days as i have yet to road-test the Swamiji approach but i love what it suggested about using nadi shodhana with the intentionality of the mind. This does chime with what i had suspected might have been the case . I just needed 1000's of yrs of oral (& literary) tradition and countless other practiioners before to confirm it too.That is the great thing about these online forums. This one is obviously rather special in it does'nt just dole out advice but places that advise within a context of the AYP system of practices and stands as a support function.So I/we are obviously very lucky.The open source apporach to the most powerful yoga methods/practices known does allow folk to compare notes.And the self-directed learning * application can happen as a result of this.

The principle of integration(of all the limbs, & facets of lilfe) within yoga at large is so vital if one is looking for efficacy and divine union.AYP illustrates this very well.

Regarding Swamiji's approach to Kundalini awakening there are two pdf's titled 'path' & 'swamiramasteachings' which i have still to digest properly. BUt i have been using this alternate nostril breathing using mind,not fingers. I think my leeft,ida nadi has been blocked or dormant for some time. I might combine it with SbP. It's possible it's not suggested in the lessons so as not to confuse folk with extra practices.BUt as an adjunct before SBP it could be very balncing to those with K or left/right imbalances.

I'll road-test it and see how i get on. He suggests the flow can even out eventually after a few months with practice. One side of me wonders if the crown needs to open to get a permanent K flow. But there is a lot of useful info. on that site. So we'll see.

http://www.swamij.com/kundalini-awakening-2.htm
http://www.swamij.com/index-yoga-me...tm#breathing

http://www.swamij.com/kundalini-awa...ng-index.htm

The realisation that the breatth has clearly been flowing mostly in my right pingala nostril all along but especially since the premture awkening 3 yrs ago and Swamiji's confirmation that it is significant and it is essential and quite DO-able to balance out id & pingala in an efficacious way IS confirmation.I knew it all along. I just needed someone to say it and that can be fixed with consistent effort- if you follow this programme etc....these practicces.

It is a nice little site that and credit and thanks go to T_I obviously for linking to it therefore.

So if you have right/left imbalances or prolonged Kundalini issues and have a acclimitised to spinal breathing you might also want to consider combining with alternate nostril breathing which can also be used on it's own.Say a coupl of minutes bfore hand in the manner they suggest though there are many variations/patterns apparently- inhale/exhale 3 times in one nostril, then switch over doing the other nostril 3 times. This completes one round. Suggested do 3 or 5 rounds- one practice.

There is a lot of sound info. & useful resources on that site btw.The trick is believing it actually does work. the proof of the pudding. :@) Though he seems to know what he's talking about.

Edited by - Akasha on Dec 31 2009 8:15:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2009 :  9:38:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Akasha
I made what might be a significant discovery when i re-viisted nadi shodhana,alternate nostril breathing, last week.It had a very balancing effect.Having worked on sushuman nadi with SbP since i started here in April(09), and having a dominant pingala as a result of a premture K awakening on Nov 25th,06.

Hi Akasha :)
I'm glad that you are finding value in the knowledge of balancing ida and pingala.
I wanted to ask you.. Do you hear ringing in your ear(s)? If so, which side is more prominent? Have you considered the idea that once the ida and pingala are balanced that you should be able to hear ringing in both ears at equal volume?

:)
TI

Edited by - Tibetan_Ice on Dec 31 2009 10:11:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  01:25:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
TI

Is the ringing in the ears that you mention like the sound of a 'hot Sizzler sizzling' or like hot steam rising?
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2010 :  1:49:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by manigma

TI

Is the ringing in the ears that you mention like the sound of a 'hot Sizzler sizzling' or like hot steam rising?

Hi Manigma :)
Some call it tinitus. It sounds like a very high pitched 'eeee' sound that has many subtle tones in it. For me it appears in both ears, only louder on the left ear and the one in the right ear seems to be a little higher pitched..

Here is some info about it from the Gurudeva book called "Merging with Siva".

link: http://www.himalayanacademy.com/res...s_ch-38.html

quote:

Friday
LESSON 264
The High "eee" Sound

Within the quantum level of consciousness there originates a vibration, a steady vibration, that can be heard with the inner ear as a high-pitched "eeeee," as if a thousand vinas were playing, as if all the nerve currents in the astral body, physical body and the body of the soul were singing in harmony. It is a divine combination of the ida and pingala tones blended together in the sushumna. Each lineage of gurus has embedded within the psyche of tradition a certain combination of sounds, and listening to this mystic sound holds all devotees close to their satguru and all those who preceded him. It is also said that when one is in another birth, the sound is the same, and this will eventually lead the aspirant back to his spiritual lineage. Listening to the nada, as it is called in Sanskrit, or nada-nadi shakti, brings the threshold of bliss and shows that the balance of all karmas has been attained. Listening to the nada and tracing it into its source carries the seeker's awareness to the brink of the Absolute. There are today mystical orders that do nothing but listen to the nada while looking at and enjoying the darshan of their guru's picture.

Many sincere seekers wonder why they cannot hear "eeeeee," the nada, during their meditation, whereas others not only hear it during meditation but during the day when talking, shopping or just meandering through the garden. This is to say, it is there when awareness enters that area of the mind. The mind has to be made empty. That means resolving all unresolved conflicts within the subconscious. The striving to hear the nada will bring up unresolved issues. They may plague the conscious mind until resolved. At first you might disregard them and feel they will go away as abruptly as they came. But later, when they persist, and the major one is deception -- yes, we can even deceive ourselves -- we are inwardly forced to face up to, admit our secrets and make amends. When deception goes, the nada comes. When the subconscious is heavy, the nada and the brilliant colors it radiates fade. Failure on the path puts the nada out of range of the inner ear of the soul.

The mystical nada, it's a medley of sounds, and each sound which is there has a color, but may be covered, as is the light of the mind of the soul, the clear white light. It is covered, but not permanently. Admittance of the mistakes, the experience of repentance and the performance of penance, called prayashchitta, lay the foundation for a reconciliation that will release the force of lower nature into the higher and uncloud the veil that hid the inner light, that hid the nada -- that incomprehensible high-pitched "eee," sounding within the head, that incomparable source of inner security, contentment and outpouring of love. When you hear the nada, endeavor to project it in love's outpouring to all those who are in your orbit of communication. They will feel the blessings when your divine love is projected through your nada into their nada. This is the height of selfless consciousness, universal love, a constant mystically outpouring and experience of oneness. The sushumna is nada and more. Nada shakti is. It just is.

According to this book it is important to balance the ida and pingala:

link: http://www.himalayanacademy.com/res...s_ch-42.html

quote:

Through breathing exercises, meditation and the practice of hatha yoga, the ida and the pingala, the aggressive and passive odic forces, are balanced. When they are balanced, the chakras spin all at the same velocity. When the chakras spin at the same velocity, they no longer bind awareness to the odic world; man's awareness then is automatically released, and he becomes conscious of the actinodic and actinic worlds.

Those chakras at the crossing of the ida and pingala are the more physical of the chakras, whereas those it skips are energized by the sushumna itself. When the yogi is really centered within, the ida and pingala then blend together in a straight line and merge into the sushumna, energizing all seven chakras, and in the older soul slowly, very slowly, slowly begin to energize the seven chakras above the sahasrara. When this happens, he no longer thinks but sees and observes from the ajna chakra between the eyes. He is totally consciously alive, or superconscious. It is only when his ida and pingala begin functioning normally again that he then begins to think about what he saw.

And here is a method to achieve savikalpa samadhi using the balancing of the nadas:

link: http://www.himalayanacademy.com/res...s_ch-38.html

quote:

Thursday
LESSON 263
An Exercise in Energy Balance

Control of the prana is also guided through nutrition. Food and air contain a great deal of prana. Prana is transferred from one person to another, from a person to a plant, from a plant to a person. It is the life of the world of form. We should eat types of food that contain a great deal of prana so that we are making prana ourselves. Consider the physical body as a temple, with plumbing and electricity. To maintain this temple, watch what you eat and be conscious of the areas where you flow awareness in the world of thought. The vibration of certain thoughts upsets the nerve system of this physical-body temple. Also, be careful of the people that you mix with, so that their awareness and vibrations do not pull your awareness into unwholesome areas and the vibrations of their aura do not affect your temple. This is extremely important to observe, especially during the first few years of unfoldment.

When we are in ideal surroundings, in the shrine room of our own home, we can balance the passive and active currents of the body -- the ida and pingala forces. First, do this simple pranayama. Breathe easily, in and out, in an even rhythm, say, four heartbeats to the inhalation and four heartbeats to the exhalation. This steady rhythm will soon begin to balance the ida and pingala.

As the pingala force becomes quieted and regulated, you will hear a ringing about an inch above the right ear. This is the sound of the nerve current of the pingala nadi. And as the ida force becomes quieted and regulated, you will hear a ringing about an inch above the left ear. This is the nerve sound of the ida nadi, slightly different from the tone of the pingala nadi. The direction of energy flow in the pingala nadi is up, whereas the ida nadi flows downward. When the energy in the two nadis is balanced, a circle is formed, creating a force field in which the sushumna nadi is regulated.

Now, to bring the sushumna force into power, listen to both tones simultaneously. It may take you about five minutes to hear both tones at the same time. Next, follow both tonal vibrations from the ears into the center of the cranium, where they will meet and blend into a slightly different sound, as two notes, say, a "C" and an "E," blend into a chord. The energy of the nadis is then flowing in a circle, and you will enter the golden yellow light of the sushumna current. Play with this light and bask in its radiance, for in it is your bloom. The unfoldment progresses from a golden yellow to a clear white light. Should you see a blue light, know that you are in the pingala current. If you see a pink light, that is the color of the ida. Just disregard them and seek for the white light in the tone of the combined currents until finally you do not hear the tone anymore and you burst into the clear white light. Thus you enter savikalpa samadhi -- samadhi with seed, or consciousness, which is the culmination of this particular practice of contemplation.

After doing this for a period of time, you will find that you lose interest in the exterior world. It will seem transparent and unreal to you. When this happens, you have to learn to bring your consciousness back through meditation, deliberately into the processes of inner knowing and thought, and back into the exterior world through concentration. It requires a deliberate concentration then to make the exterior world seem real again to you.

Now is the time for devotees who have worked diligently in concentration and meditation and in clearing up personal problems to enjoy their yoga and be happy in their attainments, to enjoy the bliss that is their heritage on Earth.

The first time I tried that exercise I found that I had to relax the right side of my body more than the left. After a while, during that meditation, I disappeared and when I returned, I saw that I was coming out of a bright light. I was gone for 10 minutes because the alarm went off and I couldn't believe it. I had no idea where I had been and lost track of time..

This is the first source that I've found which explains the nada which many meditators discover when first meditating and dismiss it as tinitus.

TI

Edited by - Tibetan_Ice on Jan 01 2010 3:48:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  03:38:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi TI

Thanks for the input. But its not the 'eee' high pitch nada that I was talking about. Although I do hear it quite clearly. In a silent room its 'EEEEE'. When I lay on my bed to sleep, its so loud that it feels like coming from some electric source outside. But its just nada inside.

The one I am talking about 'Sizzling hot steamy' noise comes after I finish my meditation/exercises. Maybe its extra/excessive Prana/chi flowing out from my head?

LESSON 265 at http://www.himalayanacademy.com/res...s_ch-38.html and onwards are very informative and helpful. Thanks for this.

Edited by - manigma on Jan 02 2010 03:48:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  9:11:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

quote:
I'm glad that you are finding value in the knowledge of balancing ida and pingala.
I wanted to ask you.. Do you hear ringing in your ear(s)? If so, which side is more prominent? Have you considered the idea that once the ida and pingala are balanced that you should be able to hear ringing in both ears at equal volume?

TI

Hi T_I :),

No. I don't hear ringing in my ear. But thanks for your much valued input and insight.

Regarding opening up a dormant or closed nostril i had been looking for this kind of info. for years.I always susepcted it did exist out there but either gave up looking or wrote it off as potentially unsafe practice( because it is micro-managing or favouring) given the frequent cautions given against some pranayamas for the unwary practitoner, or that it would not be that effective( it is,so far at least!).

quote:
Opening a nostril with the mind: The ability to regulate this balance of breath by focusing the mind on the flow in the nostrils, though a simple practice, is one of the most profound parts of the inner journey. Notice with your mind which nostril is flowing more, and which is flowing less freely. By focusing attention on the closed or less open nostril, it will gradually open, and bring an increased feeling of calm. This may take some months to accomplish, or it may come sooner, but the skill will definitely come with practice.

But Looks like you're a wealth of information and i found your resources incl. Himalayan Aacdemy equally interesting and informative.

I will say that i made this interesting observation first( focusing onida a shorwhile was very balncing) then found the info. that confirmed what i had observed..So the info came at right time. I had just never thought using the mind was DOable in terms of having hte necessary sutble awareness to do that.I would have kept up opening up the ida nadi as the efficacy of ths practice had been proven ....

It is such an easy practice (as well as effectice) practice as you you ccan do it a any time of the day,anywwhere apart from when you're walking perhaps..... In a phone box, on the subway etc.It is so easy, it is effortless.. Cool....Whenever i notice my pingala has has taken over ,become too dominant.

There's alot of interesting info in those links i should benfit from reading..Useful supplements to ayp once you've got a fair handle on the core practices.The attraction of ayp is that the actual meat on the table,i.e effective yoga tools, is'nt buried in traditionalist dogma and non-secular religion.And Yogani does an exemplary job of explaining how they work in clear scientific(simple) terms and instilling the confidence that indeed these effectice power tools do work.

quote:
Balancing breath by using the mind:

Going along with the Alternate Nostril breathing exercise, is the gradually acquired skill of opening a blocked nostril with the mind. Attention is directed to the nostril which is more closed, and in a short time it will open and flow freely. Then, one can shift to the other nostril and open it a bit more as well.

In this way, the mind is used directly to regulate the breath and the energy flow that is more subtle than the physical breath. This is a REAL KEY to learning how to self-regulate your own energy system, whether used for meditation (which is what it is intended for), or for improving one's physical health. It is an important part of self-healing.

In fact it even says that the real practice is using the mind,not hte fingers.So when you're doing your SbP you can practice both nostrils open so you're not favouring one over another.

I do believe then that reading up on other systems once you've got a decent handle on core AYP would be beneficia if you are so inclined.Though my hunch is that ayp has still prob. got the most powerful practices known to man, simplified for accessibility-sake for one , and ease of adoption.

I think i would have found 'Himalayan Academy' and 'Himalayan Masters' a bit of a minefield and hard to decipher, too esoteric perhaps , without a prior grounding like that of AYP-the lessons found at those 2 sites you reference though- fascinating stuff!. thanks alot d==b

Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2010 :  10:56:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
And thank you too for your input and perspectives!

quote:
I do believe then that reading up on other systems once you've got a decent handle on core AYP would be beneficia if you are so inclined.Though my hunch is that ayp has still prob. got the most powerful practices known to man, simplified for accessibility-sake for one , and ease of adoption.

I think i would have found 'Himalayan Academy' and 'Himalayan Masters' a bit of a minefield and hard to decipher, too esoteric perhaps , without a prior grounding like that of AYP-the lessons found at those 2 sites you reference though- fascinating stuff!. thanks alot d==b

I'm glad you are finding those links a good supplement to AYP. :)

I too agree. AYP is a great way to learn the basics, like regular practice, self pacing and the major components (ecstatic conductivity and deep silence). Those links kind of give you supplementary knowledge that is a lot more understandable with a good foundation in AYP first.. The other thing I've noticed is that AYP outshines those other sources with it's emphasis on long term steady rock solid practice. Also, AYP tells you step by step what to do whereas those other sources kind of just pay lip service to it..

Oh, by the way. A simple way to balance to your ida and pingala is by gently smiling. The nadis terminate at the nostrils and if you gently curve the cracks of the mouth upwards (like the Mona Lisa smile) it opens them up. I once tried to 'smile' all day and it caused my inner light in my head to shine brightly as well as open both sinuses/nostrils. It is a very popular Taoist technique.. something like the "inner smile".

TI

Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  12:00:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi T_I,

Yes. I agree with you completely. The emphasis on practice- what to do clear instructions, step-by-step. No nonsense, or superfluous frilly bits stapled on :)

A solid foundation.And Simplicity is the key.

Yes, & Yes : )

To alot of folk once you drag in icons and esteemed gurus something in their heads, the lightbulbs or whatever, sometimes turns off. You need a way of cutting through the barriers that are artifical anyway, that of language ,culture and usually religion.

quote:
Oh, by the way. A simple way to balance to your ida and pingala is by gently smiling. The nadis terminate at the nostrils and if you gently curve the cracks of the mouth upwards (like the Mona Lisa smile) it opens them up. I once tried to 'smile' all day and it caused my inner light in my head to shine brightly as well as open both sinuses/nostrils. It is a very popular Taoist technique.. something like the "inner smile".

I'll smile on that thought though- T_I . i looked at a book of the title something like'taoist living' by mantiak chia and some other duude in a book shop the other day(' Borders is in administration here too so it's just 'Waterstones') , and it looked very similar to some of the esoteric yogas,tantra and full-scope yogas though i am still learning more on this front- taoist yoga.I was saying to someone that asked me about the Tao recently- the effortless path he described it as- 'i wish i knew more about it thoough i think got kundalini yoga in it'..I have peeked on that 'taobums' website but i have'nt yet edducated myself in that area. :)

Flaring the nostrils can also be employed in pranayama. But ' mental nadi shodhana' is defintely a hit here.It's not difficult.And Just a few breaths is effective. And i have noticed my ida nostril is closed as i have always felt a pressure right at the back beyond the cartilage ( feels like the top location)where the skull is, i think( usually during practice)..It could be related to dilation and contraction of the nostril.And i noticed when i woke up Kundalini ,this might sound silly, but my nostrils,the pair, looked pefectly symmetrical( i happened to look in a mirror at the time). As it is, my right pingala is slightly physically bigger & more dominant.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2010 :  03:43:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, interesting topic.

Akasha, I have always done alternate nostril breathing only with mind... I have never learned how to use my fingers. I thought it was meant to be by mind... Probably got that a long, long time ago in my youth, when I was presented with Swami Yanakananda's Yoga Nidra tape. He teaches a rythm of inhale through left nostril, count 1, exhale through right nostril, count 1. Inhale through right nostril, count 2, exhale through left nostril, count 2. Go on like that counting to 4. On fifth inhale - breath in with both nostrils, count 5, exhale through both nostrils, count 5, and then start again with alternate nostrils. On every 5,10,15 you go inhale/exhale with both. It's extremely relaxing. I used it as a sleeping pill in my 20'ies.

Now, since T_I has awoken the awareness of the ida/pingala imbalance the latest time here in forum, I have added 5 breaths of this rythm before meditation instad of SpB and it feels very good. Then after 5 I continue by not counting and just stay with awareness on breath and keep that for approx 5-7 min, sometimes up to 10 min. That's it. It seems to work fine for me at the moment.

Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  1:45:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by emc

Now, since T_I has awoken the awareness of the ida/pingala imbalance the latest time here in forum, I have added 5 breaths of this rythm before meditation instad of SpB and it feels very good. Then after 5 I continue by not counting and just stay with awareness on breath and keep that for approx 5-7 min, sometimes up to 10 min. That's it. It seems to work fine for me at the moment.

Hi emc :)
I'm happy this is working for you. You'll have to let us know how it goes.
I was going to ask you, do you ever drink any alcohol?

TI
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  8:24:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi emc :),

Your input is appreciated!!

What i would like to point out is that it that it very useful if one of the nadis, whether it is ida or pingals, if one of them is not as as open as the other, then it is very useful to identify which one that might be. It may be that your ida and pinglas are very balnced. Only you can determine that. I've always perceived mysef as having a domainant pingala. Call me simple BUt i always struggled to find the literature that said categorically that :-

a) that it is common, even normal though with some folk that one is clearly more diminant than the other therefore being aware of that- there is a branch of yooga called swara yoga after all devoted to balancing

b) the actual importance of balancing according to what i have now read. specifically as it is commented on in the swamiji site as this relates to sushumna and eventual Kundalini awakening. although i reached the conclusion through personal discovery the confirmation is a nice bonus. sushumna will awaken when ida & pingala are nicely balanced according to this dude.

c) it can be done by beginners and would appear to be a rather effective balancer, least for me.

Although we swtich i think it's every 90 mins or so, whenever i notice i predominantly in pingala, i'll bring my focus to the ida , and not having to use the fingers leaves me free to do other stuff.

I do often post all this stuff with the hope that others might benefit. because the thing with learnign yoga is not what other folk say but the truths garnered from our own experience. once we've had exeperience then corroboration is more believable.

by the way instead of subtituiing nadi shodhana for SbP my suggesstion here is to consider practicing nadi shodhana as a compliment to SbP say before workiing on the sushumna nadi with SbP which should in theory expand.

I tend to focus more on the dormant nostril t bring it more in line. perhaps my concern about u unsafe pranayamas haas led to late adoption but with evrythiing you find what workis for you with the info you've got and continue with it. Also i said the tirck here is identify which nostril is the less dominant one and bring it more inline with the other. it's possibel some sites don't explicitly state to give more focus to a dormant nostril as it might be irrespinsible to give such advice. i also think it could be a lesson on it. i also think that studying other systems of yoga will help your own practice. As results can be quite variable with different people.

If you're breathing through one nostril when you're practicing SbP then to some extent the energy will gather more on one side and so forth.I'm thinking perhaps the focus on ujjayi could detract awarness from what is occurring at the bostrils. That site referrs to something called 'sushumna application' which has as a prepartory step to focus on the bridge at the nostril , the rest of which i am still not clear about.

Here's another useful resource, specificalluy on pranayama- http://www.yogapranayama.net/ should those inclined feel like exploring.

Emc- i would suggest you combine the two for i think maybe a better result - that is my gut feeling - the time does not matter. if there is a dominant nostril it is very helpful just to re-balance for a few mins- that is all before commencing spinal breathing. that is just my suggesstion. hope things are working for you. as i say i said alittle prayer to God THEN found myself doing nadi shoadhana and i was doing it for least 2 months right before AYP at the beggining of this year. Does that mean i should add alittle prayer to my practice set right at the beggining?. I don't know :) Maybe. Tibetan Ice - i read about you listing a a few prayers right at the begining of your practice set, , and the swaiji approach says that a third of it had a devotional strand interwoven with advatia vedanta ( contemplatiing the "I") and tantra( forget the details)

A.
Go to Top of Page

omarkaya

Spain
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  8:22:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit omarkaya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
where am i now?no idea jjjjjjjjjjaaaaaaaaassssssssss,(laughing my ass off)thanks akasha ,this post was better than all the marx brothers, cantinflas, monty python and charles chaplin movies puted together.keep it with humour buddy ,thats the way.
Go to Top of Page

JDas

USA
74 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  9:21:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit JDas's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Wow! A lot of mind stuff going re: the answer to that question. I think it's all waaaaay beyond our little minds. MO.

"Where am I now?"

Wow!

Don't know how to answer that really.
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  9:49:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
where am i now?no idea jjjjjjjjjjaaaaaaaaassssssssss,(laughing my ass off)thanks akasha ,this post was better than all the marx brothers, cantinflas, monty python and charles chaplin movies puted together.keep it with humour buddy ,thats the way

Hi omarkaya ,

.Yes....A healthy sense of humour goes a long way, especially when the chips seem down. You sound like you've got a very developed one.Good on ya!I've found in the most miserable of cicumstances a sense of humour can really lift you out of it.Shakespeare knew all about that but there is a more philosphical angle to it also.Charlie Chaplin was a Master.

Ever noticed if you laugh in public, you can get this feeeling people think you're mad...

Hey ..maybe i am mad.....

Hi JDas,
quote:

quote:

Wow! A lot of mind stuff going re: the answer to that question. I think it's all waaaaay beyond our little minds. MO.

"Where am I now?"

Wow!

Don't know how to answer that really.
Go to Top of Page

Yes,I don't think anyoone really knows where they're at.Because everything is so changable. Reminds me of some discourse that talke about how the unmanifest reality becomes manifest through expansion of consciousness.

'Waaaay beyond our little minds'.....well we're all working so hard to achevie Cosmic Mind with all the stuff at AYP we're doing....:)

I think often just when we think we've got a handle on reality the goal posts, like there ever were any at any point,can often shift...like on a quantum level.

Edited by - Akasha on Jan 13 2010 10:12:54 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000