Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Spinal Breathing Pranayama ('Breathing')
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mattb23

Australia
99 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2009 :  10:13:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Dear Friends,

I've now been through the meditation section, and felt comfortable enough to add Pranayama.

This morning was the first session.

I was experimenting with many different pranayama techniques for a few months earlier this year (daily) NOT including this one, & because of this I assumed Spinal Breathing would be a breeze because of this past experience!

Boy, was I wrong :D

I understand the technique & how to do it (intellectually). But because I stopped all pranayama 5-6 months ago (only practicing a basic personal meditation each day before finding this course), I've completely lost the conditioning for pranayama I once had.

I just didn't know it was such an important component of self-realization/enlightenment.

Anyhow, bygones! :D

My question is did anyone have a problem with the breathing itself when first starting this technique?

Almost immediately when I started today I felt out of breath and struggled to find any rhythym as a result the whole way through.

Interestingly enough, the meditation itself seemed more natural simply from just 'trying' to do the pranayama beforehand.

Admittedly, I did go straight into the full technique (hoping to skip the 7 day basic pranayama period (adding the ujjayi).

I realise it was only my first go, so I'm certainly not in panic, & I don't care how short or long the process takes, I'm committed to it! :D

It's taken me years to find a complete package that feels like a fit for 'me', & nothings going to deter from seeing this process through.

So if anyone does have any tips on how to naturally 'speed' my progress along for this first pranayama I'd certainly welcome it with open arms!

Otherwise I will naturally feel my way through it (calmly and joyfully).

This path is a lot of fun isn't it???

Thank you so much :D

Blessings

Edited by - mattb23 on Dec 18 2009 10:30:40 PM

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2009 :  08:27:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Matt,
It will normalize very soon. I am glad you are committed to it. That always helps.

Just remember, in breath, follow your spine upward toward the third eye.. if you are out of breath and have not yet traveled all the way up, jump your awareness to the third eye and breath out and follow your awareness down toward the root. Again, if you are out of breath before you reach the root, jump your awareness to the root and start your in breath from there.

If it helps, you can jump your attention from root to third eye during in breath (instead of following it upward), and vice versa, third eye to root during out breath. Once you get comfortable with this process you can start following your breath upward and downward.

Wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2009 :  5:11:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You are welcome Matt.

Yes, this journey is indeed a blessing.
Go to Top of Page

mattb23

Australia
99 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2009 :  12:09:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Time flies with these practices in your life.

I've already done 2 sessions since this post, and I'm about to start my next one fairly soon.

The good news: It's already started to normalize as you said it would.

Now the fun part is practice, practice, practice, with each session, plus of course reading, reading, reading! :)

I've got a looooong way to go. But the 'journey' itself is what makes everything about this so special.

I look forward to one day being as big a help to others as you are to me :)

Thank you again Shanti.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000