Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Odd symptoms in pranayama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hari

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  09:10:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hari's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,

Very occasionally, and seemingly following a cyclical pattern, I find that when doing spinal breathing pranayama my head feels heavy and swollen. At first when this happened I had to get up and discontinue my practice, but recently I've found that if I lower my head and rest my chin on my chest it passes, and I can continue as usual. I tend to end up having a very deep and blissful meditation after the swollen head impression goes away.

A couple of evenings ago, again during the spinal breathing, I had a really unpleasant feeling that my brain, spinal cord and lungs were covered in cysts. It was yucky, but as soon as I moved on to the meditation the feeling went away, and I've been fine since.

Have any of you had similar experiences? I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, and that it may have been provoked by obstructions or purification, but thought I would post anyway to see what you all have to say.

Thanks

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  12:16:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi Hari,

as you said it's nothing to be worried about these are all signs of purification.

you seem to be sensitive to the practice of spinal breathing so just in case you feel that things are going on the overload side then i suggest that you start self pacing (if you haven't than i suggest checked about the subject yet, it's available on the left side of the screen.)

and in case during spinal breathing you are keeping the energy inside the head while going toward the third eye, then it's best for you to break through the third eye outside the head and then come back from there back down to root (up and down as usual, but to the outside of the third eye) that would take away a lot of the pressure in there.

hope this helps.

namaste
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2009 :  1:51:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When you say that lowerig he head and dropping the chin to the chest alieviates this discomfort you are on the right track. You have discovered jalandhara bandha! practice with the head doawn and all will be well. Practice with the head up is fine for meditation but for pranayama I would advise you to practice with the head down as you describe
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2009 :  2:53:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Hari, great to have you here.I found the same as you - lowering the chin would help, or even rotating or swaying the head. I attribute this (in my case) to blocks in the neck and back/bottom of head, which makes pressure increase in the head. In my case I decided to stop pranayama and rely mainly in meditation to slowly, but surely, purify the nerve channels in a smooth way.But of course, you have to judge in your own case what is best. As it is often adviced here be careful with pranayama as the effects can be delayed.

Hope this helps.All the best.
Go to Top of Page

Arjuna

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2009 :  6:17:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There's a technique called Thokar that has something to do with head rotations during pranayama. From what I have read, it somehow manipulates the distribution of prana within the body. I have no pesronal experience with Thokar or its benefits.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2009 :  03:24:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It has been my experience that having the head down, or back or even rotated gently to the side or rolling in one direction or the other helps that pressure in the head. Sitting with the head erect during pranayama seems to create tension in the neck and this feeling of pressure in the head. Retaining the breath with the head up definitely is contraindicated and can be injurious
Go to Top of Page

Hari

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2009 :  04:30:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hari's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much for your replies, it's a real relief to hear this. I had discontinued the spinal breathing the last week and was focusing on the meditations instead just to be safe, but will return to the practice with jalandhara bandha, as felt natural, and as you advise.

It really is true that the guru is within us! Often the body finds its own solution automatically. It's the mind that doubts.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000