AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Transcending judgment to unify the mind
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  08:39:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Recently been contemplating the propensity of the mind to judge others which we can notice divides our own minds creating a sense of separation by feeling superior or inferior to others.

As we judge others, emotionally we pay the price, cutting our heart off from understanding and empathy. It creates tension within, limits our own expression of life and creates a limiting dynamic for the ones we judge to change and be different themselves particularly in our own eyes.

So recognizing the unlimited nature of our own minds, how we have behaved at times in our lives in both "positive" and "negative" ways, even if it has only been .1% of the time, seen ourselves act as both a lover and a fighter, had moments being honest and at times dishonest, selfish and unselfish, smart and dumb, ignorant and enlightened, stubborn and accommodating, kind and mean, frustrated, irrational, angry, aggressive, upset etc. etc. We see that we are all the same, nobody perfect, everyone with their "human" moments and "divine" moments just to varying degrees.

Unifying the Mind by Finding it Within

As we have this recognition within and allow for our own misunderstandings, moments of ignorance and "human" behavior, we accept and understand it when we see it in others.

Every time we see another person behave in a way which creates an emotional reaction within us that resists, judges or denies, we can ask ourselves if there has ever been a time in our lives we might have done the same or something similar?

Has there ever been a time in our life, maybe at least the distant past, where we might not have acted the same way but may have had similar thoughts or emotional sentiments that could have contributed to the behavior we abhor in others?

Bottom line, can we find it within or at least a version of it?

Opening ourselves to these possibilities unifies our mind, creates relaxation instead of tension, compassion and understanding instead of judgment and recoiling. It connects us to others and the world and not to mention it, feels a lot better.

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  1:52:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
One of the presuppositions of NLP is Perception is projection.

What we project on to others reveals what we most like and most hate about ourselves. Others stand like mannequins awaiting our projected beliefs to give them the character we recognise.

How we change the world begins with our own thoughts, because it is only our thoughts and actions that we have any chance of control over, the rest is illusion, even that we have control is illusion.

Once you realise that whatever result you get is based around your thoughts and the words you choose to use, then you get very careful, very fast.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  3:17:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karl

Once you realise that whatever result you get is based around your thoughts and the words you choose to use, then you get very careful, very fast.

I must be an extremely slow learner, cause my sense is that I can't change my thoughts or words or get more careful... This mind is wired to be horrific inwards and outwards. An enormous amount of sh*t is manifested through that. It's only an open heart here that can bring the opposite, and when it opens - miracles happen very quickly. There is no way to rewire the mind. And I don't choose when the heart is to be opened or not either... As you say: Even the sense of being in control of this process is illusion. I sense that the only choice we actually have is to BE AWARE of how this happens, the judgements, tension, emotions, projections... over and over again. Until it doesn't.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  03:27:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by emc

quote:
Originally posted by karl

I must be an extremely slow learner, cause my sense is that I can't change my thoughts or words or get more careful...

Takes time and effort, but you can learn to mind your mind providing you are willing to put the effort in. Many are not. Part of that process could be AYP, for others it can be something else as there are many paths.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000