Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 difficulty with visualization in pranayama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  2:12:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have recently begun practicing spinal breathing, and I have encountered some difficulty in visualizing the spinal nerve. I think that compared to many people my visualization abilities must be very weak, because I have a very hard time visualizing anything at will. Because of this, I haven't even been attempting to visualize the spinal nerve, as I find it much too distracting. I have just been trying to trace the pathway through the center of my body with my sense of body awareness. I also find the turn forwards into the brow slightly difficult as well.

I understand that the process of visualization eventually gives way to the genuine experience of traveling up and down the spinal nerve anyway, so am I disadvantaging myself by not attempting to visualize and using my sense of body awareness instead?

Edited by - Clear White Light on Dec 15 2009 11:58:04 AM

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  2:50:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Clear White Light

Thanks for sharing

I still can't visualize the spinal nerve at will.....or at least I don't think I can (haven't tried visualizing it ever).....but sometimes it just happens....it doesn't last long though....and am not concerned with it at all. All is well anyway :) Most people can't see the spinal nerve with their inner eye............but actually...... practicing pranayama the way you do might one day result in this ability to see it :)

However....the most important thing about pranayama is not inner vision or not....but simply that it facilitates the neurological emergence of greater and greater ability to stay as a conduit for the Loving Light of Being. And who knows what kind of expressions that will result in....it is infinite, no? And we are all unique expressions of it.....so what a wonder it is!

quote:
I think that compared to many people my visualization abilities must be very weak, because I have a very hard time visualization anything at will. Because of this, I haven't even been attempting to visualize the spinal nerve, as I find it much too distracting. I have just been trying to trace the pathway through the center of my body with my sense of body awareness.

This is prefect. This is pranayama as good as any. Just keep at it Clear White Light....and when you encounter "difficulties" or areas where it seems to be hard to trace the subtle pathway with your awareness.....simply be gentle and flow past it....let your attention be like a soft flowing river.......it simply flows around the boulders while caressing them

quote:
understand that the process of visualization eventually gives way to the genuine experience of traveling up and down the spinal nerve anyway,

Well...the way it is experienced here......it is the traveling up and down the spinal nerve with the attention and the breathing synchronized that one day lead to the ability to actually see the spinal chord within.

So don't worry about visualization.....simply continue to breathe-trace what you subtly or not so subtly feel to be the area of the path between the root....and the brow (Ajna)

All the best
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  3:26:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You intentionally did it correctly anyway. And Katrine added all the remaining details to it. So just go on :)

I also started doing SBP the way you do, and this is natural. Inner feeling comes first, then starts inner hearing and the latest is inner seeing. At least thats how it increases for me breath per breath, mantra repetition per mantra repetition within a session.

Tracing the spinal nerve with attention, breath and feeling already causes A LOT to go into the central channel and to travel through it with all its great effects (increasing over the longterm unbelievably).

The reason for visualization is to bring much of the mental substance into the central channel too. Attention, breath, feeling, thought, when all those enter the central channel going up and down with more and more continousity, immense purification, absorption, awarenessrefinement and extacy happens.

But you can't force or rush into it. Doing the spinal breathing the way you can possibly do is more than enough and will change more and more into complete going into and traveling within the space of the centralchannel out of itself. "Whenever you are off, just come back to the spinal nerve", thats all one does. And it works =P
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  4:07:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It gets easier with practice. Don't worry if it's not clear now. Don't focus hard to see it. Just let it be what it is and in a relaxed way, continue visualization, clear or not, it's okay. Over time it will become very very clear.

Adamant
Go to Top of Page

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  5:50:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I'll just continue on like I have been. :)
Go to Top of Page

ImseVimse

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  12:42:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit ImseVimse's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds to me like you're doing just fine.

Years ago I learned a technique nearly identical to the Spinal Breathing in Yogani's lessons. The first time I tried it, I had no problem at all visualizing and feeling the spinal nerve. But gradually I began to overthink things--I told myself my breathing wasn't in perfect rhythm; I told myself I wasn't tracing the curves of my spine precisely enough; and so on.

Of course, the negative thoughts became such a distraction that my mind's eye went blank. I couldn't visualize anymore, and it was physically uncomfortable to try to coordinate visualization with breathing. (I'm doing better now, though)

Perfectionism is a form of attachment, and I'm still learning to let go of it. You are right to be relaxed and easy in your practice. Forcing it is frustrating and counter-productive. Kudos to you for realizing that.
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  6:33:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't know if you read the q/a-parts of the main lessons, but if you missed this one, it is VERY clear:

http://www.aypsite.org/44.html

Most of them I read some years ago, it is so crazy how many details one forgets over time. Yogani amazes again and again =)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000