Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Is it imperative to start with Mulabandha?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The_seeker

Canada
27 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2009 :  4:41:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit The_seeker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Yogani, Hi guys,
I have a question which has thrown me out of balance in my practice.
Until today I didn't know about Sambhavi and Mulabandha.
I've been practicing simple spinal breathing with a gentle lifting of the eyes combined with a slight furrowing intention between the eyebrows as explained by Yogani in the book spinal breathing pranayama (actually I slightly lift the eyes/furrowing of the brow when my attention with the breathing reach the upper end of the spinal nerve). The sensations I have are amazingly beautiful.
All good until today when I received the book "Advanced Yoga Practices" where I read about Mulabandha, Sambhavi, etc. Now, I'm puzzled, do I have to stop gently lifting the eyes, etc., because I have to start with Mulabandha firstly?, do I have to keep lifting the eyes/furrowing the brow continuously, not only when the attention reach the upper end of the nerve?
Thank you

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2009 :  6:43:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi The seeker:

It is fine to keep on as you are doing with the eyes during spinal breathing, because it is working for you. At some point you may like to add on some gentle, flexible mulabandha/asvini and see what happens. Lesson 119 offers some options for this. It is in the AYP book, and online here: http://www.aypsite.org/119.html

Mulabandha comes before sambhavi in the lessons because in many cases sambhavi will not find an ecstatic connection before there has been some direct stimulation at the root. In your case, spinal breathing has been enough to get the ball rolling with ecstatic conductivity. Good things are happening.

Take things at your own pace, and enjoy!

The guru is in you.

PS: For others following along here, the original instructions for mulabandha are in Lesson 55. Additional lessons on mulabandha can be found in the website topic index.

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2009 :  6:47:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Seeker,

quote:
do I have to keep lifting the eyes/furrowing the brow continuously, not only when the attention reach the upper end of the nerve?

Yes, with sambhavi mudra you keep the eyes raised upward towards the third eye continuously, and the same goes for the slight furrowing of the brow.
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  3:32:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You can also do it when the energy has entered the head, at least that is better than doing no sambhavi at all. With time your eye muscles and also tounge mucles (kechari stage 1) get used to it, tension decreases and you can keep them up continously.
Go to Top of Page

The_seeker

Canada
27 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  12:23:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit The_seeker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Yogani, Christi and Holy, I really apreciate your prompt response.
Just to clarify, as I mentioned in my previous message, I probably misunderstood when I first read the book "spinal breathing pranayama " and I added to my simple sbp the raise of the eyes upward towards the third eye (but only when my attention reaches the upper end of the spinal nerve not continuously). In this way, I could focus easly on the attention/energy going up and down with the breath and a clear, effortless furrowing of the brow (only at the upper end).
- Yogani, you said : "It is fine to keep on as you are doing with the eyes during spinal breathing, because it is working for you."
Are you reffering to raising the eyes as I do (only at the upper end) or continuously like in full sambhavi as Christi described? (personally I find difficult to keep my eyes up and to focus on breathing in the same time)
Holy seems to agree with this kind of partial sambhavi. I apologize for my childish questions, but I just want to make sure I don't do anything wrong. Only after a couple of sessions of sbp (as described) and I was quite overwhelmed with the experiences (so, this is serious stuff ).

Thank you to all of you
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  08:35:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by The_seeker

"It is fine to keep on as you are doing with the eyes during spinal breathing, because it is working for you."
Are you reffering to raising the eyes as I do (only at the upper end) or continuously like in full sambhavi as Christi described? (personally I find difficult to keep my eyes up and to focus on breathing in the same time)

Hi The seeker:

What you are doing is fine for now. It is a reasonable start with the spinal breathing enhancement covered in the SBP book, which is an introduction to sambhavi. As you know, there are several enhancements discussed there. It will evolve into what it needs to be as time goes on, with ecstatic feelings and your bhakti, and as you learn more about sambhavi and other mudras and bandhas and their effects. You are doing fine.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

The_seeker

Canada
27 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2009 :  10:38:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit The_seeker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Yogani
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000