Bhakti and Karma Yoga
 change in the weather
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2009 :  9:46:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
It sure was nice to feel the weather change. we had a nice cool down for a couple days, high about 65 or so, low in the low 50's. In central florida that is fairly cool. a few times during the winter we will get to freezing. However before I did not really care about weather changes, but lately it feels good.

I had talked with you all a while back about eating with homeless people and maybe I mentioned getting them some clothes and blankets. well an update. This year I attend a church and I asked the pastor if we could do this project at the church, something they had not done in the past but were up for expanding their ministry. He said yes and we started it last month. Friends and families donated items, as well as vision 360 church. so far we have given out about 100 packages consisting of a blanket, thermal socks, gloves, a beanie/winter cap, canned food, and some other small items. They pastor did a large majority of the handing out himself. he just got in a new batch of blankets, gloves, etc... maybe around 50 or so.

Also, he works at my school as the assistant principle. SSSSSoooooooo he started it at the school as well. Now they had done can food drives in the past but not clothing or blankets. last week they collected quite a bit at the school. in conjunction with another church they will be packaged and distributed amongst the community of apopka.

If I take too much credit for this it would be foolish, however it did start on mothesrs day, one person, One order of pizzas, and one car. You never know what you can put into motion and you never know who will show up to assist you.
may all sleep well
brother Neil

arzkiyahai

93 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  01:22:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit arzkiyahai's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That is really great brother Neil :)
Go to Top of Page

sagebrush

USA
292 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  07:39:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it nice to brother neil-
and think it ok to feel happy with your efforts.
I also think that a life without purpose or certain excersises in caring for others would seem pretty not worthy.
Go to Top of Page

Metta

Sweden
24 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  12:17:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Metta's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Strange.....recently I read a book (lovingkindness with Sharon Salzberg) and one chapter is dedicated to giving and the joy it can give. That chapter gave me quite much.....so this post came quite nicely in time :-)

Thank you brother neil!

Love!
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  1:54:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  6:39:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for your comments, helping others out is the least I can do. When i got the email that the topic was moved I wondered to where? then I saw it in the karma yoga, of course
brother Neil
Go to Top of Page

porcupine

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  11:25:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit porcupine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I'll try and do something nice for fathers day then
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000