AYPsite.org Forum
 Bhakti and Karma Yoga
 True devotion/The Bodhisattva vow
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2007 :  02:59:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I would like to speak of true devotion. I think this is important because often times, we yogis are pretty focused on our own attainment of enlightenment as some kind of personal accomplishment, or may view the yogas as a way to relieve our own suffering and maximize our own happiness. Ironically, we clip our wings thinking that way. Because there is a greater purpose in our seeking enlightenment. It is for the relief of suffering of all beings.
There is a definition of the frame of mind we could hope to aspire to through spiritual practice : "Bodhicitta is a mind dedicated to others and to achieving full enlightenment in order to benefit all beings." The prayer, the intention, and this surrender is recited by us, before the commencement of each meditation session, to ingrain it in our minds resolve. We say: "May any spiritual energy or benefit, thus generated by my devotion in both this meditation sitting,and in my life in general, and in all future incarnations, be dedicated to dispelling the misery of all living beings without exception. As long as diseases afflict living beings, may I be the doctor and the medicine that restores them to health. May I fall as rain to increase the harvest that must feed living beings, and may I myself serve as food and drink. May I be an unending treasury fo those desperate and forlorn. May I manifest as what they require. May all beings be free of suffering."

Edited by - x.j. on Dec 04 2007 5:10:02 PM

Black Rebel Radio

USA
98 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2007 :  06:29:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Black Rebel Radio's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am brother!

Mac
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2007 :  2:56:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very beautiful, thanks for posting. It resonates deeply with my own feelings towards enlightenment, and reminds me of the source of my strength.

I wonder if this means the Bodhicitta can be or is likely to be born into circumstances that are wrought with disease and suffering? Is this mind a character that springs forth amidst and a part of tremendous suffering, only to rise above it and lead by example? There is so much talk of choosing the life you live before you are born, does the mind simply flow into the place most needed, into the place it can do the most good? Could the character be, in the eyes of the world, an object to be shifted about, but by the shifting of this object, due to the nature of its structure, order unfolds?

The power to give, or unleash a flow of love into the world, and be carried by our own spring into fulfillment/happiness.

Edited by - Kyman on Dec 04 2007 2:58:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  7:23:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kyman,
Thanks for your interesting message. On further thought and after more reading of AYP resources, I believe that we who do these meditative practices are heading in the direction of the Bodhisattva.
In other words, we take up meditation for self purification, and for personal reasons initially, and then at some point in time, we realize that we desire the release from suffering of all humans and all beings as actually more important than any personal relief of our suffering. I think that would be fair to say that from an AYP standpoint. For me, as you probably know, I came from grief into meditation, and pretty soon after this process began for me, I began to sense the tremendous suffering all around us. And I decided that the highest good was not to just save my own spiritual skin, but to look past that and say, OK I am not seeking spiritual progress just for me, and in all earnestness, I solemnly request of the Powers that Be,... that I be allowed to stay in the heat of the suffering as long as a greater good may result for others. And that enhanced the kundalini considerably, and still does daily, to reaffirm that commitment of service. Just a thought. Totally within the teachings of AYP I am certain. I hope this serves as some kind of a clarification. I think we are all headed in that direction over many lifetimes. Thank goodness we found out how to meditate in this lifetime. I ¨have just recently begun the "I am" meditation incidentally and am thankful for that.
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  9:53:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey John,

It seems that any good practice leads to these conclusions. Unless they happen upon us in a vision, as natural opening and purification occurs. But I favor the practice, because you may see what should be done but the way has not been purified. What I mean is, we may have the will but the way has to be refined. We have to remember not to become too discouraged with our selves during times of stress, or release.

In retrospect, I think my most intense awakening experience was of both the heart and mind. After reaching a strong equilibrium point in a relationship, my heart told my mind to hold up on the self-hating going on inside, and that relaxed the mind enough to dissolve into the heart. The bliss was the most amazing yet indescribable experience of my life. There was so much of it to give and share. I realized in that space that service was the realm of heaven. Service is the happy marriage. I agree, everyone is here to purify the body so love can flow into the world.

In times of great worry, I remember to say in my mind, do not worry about me, let my life benefit others, and help me to gain the strength to do more. When this is said with clarity, and from the heart, the fear quickly dies off. Nothing eases the soul more than this declaration. It is a frightening thought to the ego for a good reason.

Edited by - Kyman on Dec 08 2007 11:10:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  9:58:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kyman,
I agree with you on that too. In fact, I started doing posts here a couple weeks ago, from the perspective of my own background, but probably could have left unsaid everything I have said, especially this thread about the Bodhisattva intentionality. Am totally in agreement with all that I read about the AYP approach. AYP will allow a full flowering spiritually, and mystically speaking with nothing needing to be added.That is why my messages are so irrelevant for everyone except myself. Pardon a little digression, while I riff for a moment: But I started my investigations a while ago,the hard way, and had to start from scratch, kind of like John Wilder in the novel, utilizing intuition and experimenting all the way along, with diet, pranayama, mudras, gaining insights from dreams, purificational practices like clear liquid fasting for two days at a time on retreat, mantra yoga, yantras, chakra bija mantras, etc,... to learn what enhanced the kundalini, aroused Mother Kundalini the most, and allow the process whereby She leads us to Lord Shiva... I have quite a library of books on yoga(especially looking for the esoteric secret methods), Hinduism,Tibetan Buddhism, Vipassana/Theravedin Buddhism, Goddess mantra meditation(which can get pretty dark), Kashmiri Shaivism, Hermetics,Theosophy,Christian mysticism,... often gleaning from each, a couple hints here and there, about practices that the author really does not want to divulge in detail.. And now I have discovered how Yogani has been assimulating all this for much longer and much more systematically and elegantly. It is amazing to find you guys and AYP! The kechari mudra information i discovered on this AYP website, is unique in detailing that practice, how to do it, why to do it, and when to do it. That is a new on me, not found elsewhere in the literature in any kind of detail, and am very excited to give that a try! Pacing is a new one on me too, but I never gave that a try. Please ignore me, I am perfectly harmless.
the impetuous John C
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  10:53:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That sounds like a fantastic collection of books. I live near the Edgar Cayce library, so I'm fortunate enough to have come across such a vast collection of spiritual material. It's helped me to get my bearings. Do you have one or two favorites, any that you would recommend? You must have picked up many interesting insights along the way, I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts.

I've had some turbulence in the beginning as well, but I was fortunate enough to come across these topics on the net shortly after the kundalini awakening began.

Thanks for sharing, John.

Edited by - Kyman on Dec 09 2007 11:35:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Steve

277 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  12:55:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steve's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi John,
quote:
That is why my messages are so irrelevant for everyone except myself.

Not so. Your contributions are much valued and the sincerity you express in sharing your investigations and experience are much appreciated. The best to you always.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2007 :  8:58:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Kyman and Steve for your kind comments. As to suggested favorite books, my current favorites are the onesI just read, Secrets of Wilder and the AYP book Deep Meditation. Otherwise, I am very fond of the two books by Harish Johari, (now deceased), and his two audio CDs that are also eminently available through Amazon.com.
But I say this with some reservation, in that the teachings here on AYP are really all one would need. Secondly, AYP teaches I understand that the petals of the chakras will each open gradually, as the system becomes purified as a whole along sushumna with spinal breathing (correct me if mistaken). That said, I went the other way over the last 8 years, and have been flying by the seat of my pants. Muladhara is one I revere very much in it´s beauty, the abode of Lord Ganesha.
Austerities cause beautiful things to happen there. Since it is the power storage depot, awareness development there will cause beautiful things to fountain up through the system,... dare I say a power surge upward. I may get chastized for not attending to pacing!
But my Home,...our Home is the Heart. Where Shiva resides and is found and carressed there by Mother Kundalini. The home of compassion, an ever expanding vortex that reaches out to embrace I havent figured out how far out it goes, maybe into infinity... Gayatri mantra leads one there, but also spinal breathing revolves around the heart center. With inspiration, as the awareness travels up the front, and on expiration, the awareness travels down the back, and in the center of this orbit, is a sun like disc, the Heart is readily apparent at such times. Blah blah blah. Sorry, impetuous enthusiasm.
I have some reservations about laying out something irrelevant to AYP folks and dont want to cause any distractions from your path.
Thanks to be so kind to ask me where my head is at.
the impetuous John C
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  02:55:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
But my Home,...our Home is the Heart. Where Shiva resides and is found and carressed there by Mother Kundalini. The home of compassion, an ever expanding vortex that reaches out to embrace I havent figured out how far out it goes, maybe into infinity... Gayatri mantra leads one there, but also spinal breathing revolves around the heart center. With inspiration, as the awareness travels up the front, and on expiration, the awareness travels down the back, and in the center of this orbit, is a sun like disc, the Heart is readily apparent at such times. Blah blah blah. Sorry, impetuous enthusiasm.

That's a very beautiful text. My spine is curling when reading it! Thank you, John. There's nothing "blah blah" about that. And enthusiasm is beautiful. I find your posts very inspiring and I hope you will continue to contribute in this forum.
Go to Top of Page

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  8:53:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear EMC, thanks for your kind words about my jazz riffs on this our mutually agreed upon favorite subject. I have been starved to connect with you AYP folks up til now, and love to hear what you all have to say as well. I have enjoyed many of your posts by looking back on what you have said on various subjects. So, I would like to riff on if I may... Mother Durga comes to mind for me when one considers the important issue of pacing. So anyway, I came across some mantras to Durga. She protects those who sing of Her. She can be accessed seated at the Muladhara, cohabitating there with Ganesha apparently. So I sing to Her when in danger and for good measure, and may that protect me. Could that be kind of like pacing perhaps, or a cosmic substitute for the man or woman with a lead foot on the accelerator... Sarva swaropay sarvashe,sarva shakti saman vitay, mahay eb strahee no Devi, Durga Devi namo stutay....
It is very devotional feeling to be chanted like for ten minutes or something like that. There is a beautiful audio CD my Shri Anandi Ma available at Amazon.com It features Durga songs, for protection from harm, and sung by Anandi Ma. It really turns on the beautiful Kundalini energy to surrender in total submission to Her and Her protection, with head phones on humming along, seated in meditation position. My main interest,... only interest is what resonates experientially with the blossoming energy body that unites us at the Heart all together. I just want to let you know what is so extremely beautiful in my life. I bet one"s public library could obtain anything like this on interlibrary loan too for that matter.
I am also,very fond of the chanted mantras to the ten Wisdom Goddessess on the audio CD by Harish Johari entitled something like Sounds of Tantra. The companion book of the same title by him, has all the songs-mantras written out with much explanatory information. The Ten Goddesses are amazingly beautiful and each inhabits a different chakra though three or four cohabitate the Heart. It must be no coincidence that the Heart center is literally crowded with the manifestations of these aspects of Divinity, and Shiva is there, And our essence is there, as the tiny flame which is enthroned there at Hrit Padma, the chakra of 8 petals, just below or within and at the bottom of Anahata, said to be a tiny flame, surrounded they say by a tableau of other flames. This is a wonderful secret. (I love how we share secrets of the Heart, at this AYP site.) I wonder if the mature mystic ever can sort all of this majestic reality out and come to a definive appreciation or whether we will just stay overwhelmed in Divine ecstasy by the bounty of the Heart,..your Heart EMC that I have become so fond of..
...and I remain, the impetuous one, though this is spoken from my Heart to you,... John C

Edited by - x.j. on Dec 11 2007 9:18:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2007 :  03:02:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi John,

Heart to heart, given and received at each moment, shared in the One ocean of love!

Interesting to hear about how you use mantras. I'm just diving into that and explore that realm. Thank you for the tips on Cd's.
Go to Top of Page

porcupine

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  11:29:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit porcupine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am all beings and so are you
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000