Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Length of Meditation?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WSH

USA
38 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2009 :  5:41:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,
I just recently stumbled across the AYP website. I have been searching for years to find ways to come upon that which is immeasurable or timeless or the source of our being without all the religous dogma mixed in. So far from what I have read on this web site I like, and perhaps it can lead me to my goal. I have practices many different meditation practices over the years with varying results. Typically I would practice meditation daily in half an hour sessions and then do some longer ones on other days for as long as two hours. My question is how come with the deep meditation technique is it so short. It often will take me 20 minutes just for my mind to settle down enough to where I really start felling the effects of the meditation. I was always taught that more was better when it came to meditation. Any suggestions on this matter would be appreciated. Thank you. WSH

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2009 :  6:12:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum WSH.
With the AYP system short sessions work just as well. But you have to do them twice a day.
The idea is that meditation is not an escape from the real world, but it initiates changes that need to be integrated into your everyday life. You will find from reading on the forums, that it works! So read the main lessons, or in the books at the right, and keep meditating.
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2009 :  6:58:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by WSH

I was always taught that more was better when it came to meditation.

One of the very interesting maxims of AYP that I am just beginning to really appreciate is the concept of "Less is More..."

Welcome to the forum WSH!
Go to Top of Page

WSH

USA
38 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2009 :  9:57:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both for the fast response. I guess I will have to give it some time to work. I really enjoy a long meditation session from time to time. Should this be abandoned in favor of doing the two short ones twice a day or can they be done in conjunction with eachother? Also is it important to do the short sessions at the same time everyday? I have a pretty busy life with a young family and having a consistant shedule is next near to impossibe. It works well during my work week because I can do a meditation before I go to work and before I come home, but once I am home all bets are off. My wife often goes to work when I am home on the weekends or off from work and I have to attend to two young children that need pretty much constant supervision so it is hard to keep a consistant schedule? Thanks again. WSH
Go to Top of Page

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2009 :  12:03:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you want to go longer than the 20 minutes, I say go for it. Honestly, I never meditate only 20 minutes. It's all about your own personal experience. If you want to meditate for 40 minutes a day, or 3 hours a day I think that's fine. So long as you can handle it without excessive overloading, that is.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2009 :  03:32:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
WSH, since this is a support forum section deliberately aimed for AYP meditation support I would not listen to Clear White Light's suggestion, which is not in accordance with AYP teachings.

Speaking from own experience, I'd say never ever go longer than 20 min with the I AM mantra. It is extremely powerful and there's a sleeping effect - you might think it's going fine for a period of time, but then it's behaving like warming milk... suddenly it says *boom* and it boils over with tremendous force.

If you are just recently beginning to use I AM meditation according to AYP I'd suggest to stay with the recommendations and evaluate after a couple of months of steady practices!

In order to prolong the sitting time if you wish to relax a bit longer, I'd suggest to take a longer period of REST afterwards. Stop repeating the mantra after 20 minutes, and then just sit in the stillness for as long as you wish. Sometimes I sit an hour afterwards because the stillness is so deep. That is counted as resting time, and not meditation if you don't start to focus your attention on anything special (as the mantra or breath etc) but just sitting with what is. It can be very beautiful. Long resting times also prevents uncomfortable symptoms of overload. It's also recommended to lie down during resting time, but I didn't do that in the beginning and it was fine anyway. Rather pleasant to continue the inward explorations after meditation in that way!

If you don't have time to do two sessions per day, just keep one session, 20 min. Don't add up the time! Never go over 20 min.

Also is it important to do the short sessions at the same time everyday?

It's not so important. It's better to keep the practice twice daily. I've had my first session between 06.00-11.00 then I'd say time is up for the first session. The second has been from 16.00-23.00 then I'd say time is up for the second session. But you might find that with more regular times you will start being "called inwards" around that chosen time... at least it has been so for me.

Good luck with AYP! Please ask more questions, and please continue to read the lessons! Much stuff is already written there, and it's best to start reading them thoroughly!

Love emc

Edited by - emc on Dec 06 2009 05:54:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2009 :  1:34:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome WSH.
I will second what emc said, if you are practicing AYP style of deep meditation, please do not practice for for than 20 min twice a day. Altho it seems like a very easy practice, the overloads can hit you real hard and real fast.

Wish you the best on your chosen path.
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2009 :  3:32:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello WSH,

quote:
Originally posted by WSH
Hello
I just recently stumbled across the AYP website. I have been searching for years to find ways to come upon that which is immeasurable or timeless or the source of our being without all the religous dogma mixed in.

Yeah,it's like an Aladdin's cave,AYP.

quote:
So far from what I have read on this web site I like, and perhaps it can lead me to my goal.

Yeaaah- fantastic!!

You might find though that your "goal-posts" do tend to shift, as you sail along; this may do with expectations you might already come armed here with based on previous experiences, and preconceptions of an imagined end or result.I say this as i am talking about myself.BUt you will find that AYP is authentic,effective and deeep,a nd is not fuzzy in terms of it's science; I do this X practice --> and then this happens.Cause-->Effect

quote:
I have practices many different meditation practices over the years with varying results. Typically I would practice meditation daily in half an hour sessions and then do some longer ones on other days for as long as two hours. My question is how come with the deep meditation technique is it so short.

The short answer to that is because it is effective. Part of the efficacy of any yoga technique will derive from regularity of practice.The prescription here is twice a day 20minMax sessions. Though conceivably you could go over to 30 mins say if your nervous system is in the under-sensitive end of the bell-curve of the average practioner..You can also flip over from under-sensitive to over sensitive according to how our self-apcing is goin which i willl explain.

quote:
It often will take me 20 minutes just for my mind to settle down enough to where I really start felling the effects of the meditation.

You will go deeper quicker with silent mantra meditation over other methods. I'm not sure what other types you were using before.Where indeed do you go?- well here they call it inner silence-like aplace of quiet unshakeable calmness that is unaafected by anything going on out there.Although it may be demonstrated that out there is really in here, if you know what i mean.Whereas some methods may take 20 mins just to get in the door, so to speak 2 or 3 repetitions of the mantra may take you there.It just depends though such as how relaxed you are can get.This is where you can modify you sitting positions if you come here with real heavy obstructions in ceratin places..

quote:
I was always taught that more was better when it came to meditation. Any suggestions on this matter would be appreciated. Thank you. WSH

Less is indeed more.This has applied to great architecture,philospshy,literature etc- yoga is no different.Regular practice of short sessions is better than the ocassional mammoth marathon sessions. And because AYP practices are effetive then there is a principle called "self-pacing" that is enshrined within the system.This means backing off for safety reasons precautioons like if the nadis & nerves seem especially enlivened and awakened outside if practice. Combine this with grounding and an integrated approach emmploying all 8 limbs such as karma yoga and all aspects of life.

Self-pacing is possibly the one thing that there is no harm being religious about. For instance there can be delayed effects occuring few days latter outside of practice..Can creep up on us,especially if we take on extra practices prematurely before adequate purification has taken place.Start with deeep meditation and take it from there.YOu can become enilightened ,whatever that might mean,i.e make this journey, or so i am told, just by doing short 20 mins sessions of DM although many folk approach this from a number of angles using more tools gradually over months and years if they so feel inclined.

Patience, an integrated apporach and enough bhakti are some of the elements useful to transform one's conciousness..

You could always try 3o mins but quite honestly if you're just starting out with AYP best to stick to the letter ,become proficient at DM,i'e give it a spin. The after many months you hopefully have the experience and wisdom to experiement and tweak.

If you're just beggining you may find an entire universe opens up, which is basically the interior.

.aypsite.org is a great place to stumble across.I might be mistaken but i might have saw evidence of google optimising the search engine listings for AYP recently-ish. Some peoople just are'n that well disposed to trying out AYP- giving it a shot, or spin if you like. Though i hope those that are, are able to find this place.As it is a very siginificant resource out there not least because it's been open sourced and freely available by it's founder, Yogani.. I think i said this to Yogani that the reason folk might initially trust AYP is not just the clarity and beautiful mind-blowing explanations given in the Main lesssons. BUt they probably trust the man behind it who inspires alot of faith and confidence. Without embarassing him, you can tell from the onset he really knows what he's talking about. Saying that i believe the practices should and will speak for themselves. I was actually quite surprised how effective they are when i first started out here.. and you tend to go through purification cycles as you bike along. But it does take tiime if you stick with this for the long-haul as they say which is what this is relly all about.The path has no end,even at death ,or at least so my own hunch goes..

Do your practice ( regularly is recommened) and all is coming, as they say.

I'm currently experiencing a heavy self-pacing period as there really is an art to this.

Hope this helps, & Welcome

To echo what Shant says, the amplification of effects of practices as well as the time-delays can really creep up on you.20 mins DM could be equivalent to like 2-3 hrs of many other meditation types.Focusing on your nose etc DM as a technique is abit like a turbo boosted fuel injection meditation type..That is not to say you won't have seeming empty spells/cycles where nothing much seems to be happening.And then you may dirft over into alot of crown activity, just like that as you sit down to watch TV, check ou thsi site, or whatever.

DM is the first formal meditatiion i've tried.Have tried meditation in the past,long sessions like you say, but not as regular sadhana.I spent about about 3 years focusing on the breath so to swtich the focus to a silent mantra was indeed quite clunky for me when i began with DM for the first couple of weeks..I really had to struggle abit at first with intoning that mantra without moving the vocal chords.
Go to Top of Page

WSH

USA
38 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2009 :  5:35:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all,
I appreciate all the replies and advice. I am finding even in the short time I have been doing the Deep Meditation that it is proving effective. I really appreciated the advice about an extended rest period after doing the deep meditation. Perhaps I have been overdoing it in the past. That would explain how sometimes after doing too much meditation I would feel irritable, even for days instead of feeling more relaxed. I am discovering even with the short Deep Mediation twice a day I am finding greater levels of peace. As I continue with the practice I am sure more questions will arise. Thank you all again. WSH
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2009 :  10:49:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes that is a sign of too much DM.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000