Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Disturbance during meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

neerja1

India
22 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  1:57:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit neerja1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

Many a times while meditating I get disturbed by a phone call/ the door bell ringing/ or any such other thing where I have to leave the meditation in between, attend to the call etc. and then get back and continue with my meditation. I have noticed invariably that after any such occurence (a few seconds/minutes of my being away at the most) whenever I have returned to meditation it has taken me less than a minute to dive into much more deeper silence than I was into before the disturbance. It is almost as if the disturbance is a catalyst for a deeper silence within.

Can anybody on the forum relate to this please?

Many thanks...

Neerja

Edited by - AYPforum on Oct 02 2009 2:29:48 PM

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  2:27:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi Neerja,

same thing here when i hear a noise from the outside... guess it makes you more aware of the mantra or simply more aware of the process of surrender and meditation and probably this is why buddhist ring the bell why meditating...

but right now i am at that deepness without any help from the outside; just close my eyes and inner silence is there, repeat the mantra and it goes deeper and deeper...

btw it's best if you turn the cell or the phone off during and let someone else open the door during your sadhana or fix a time and a place when and where no one would disturb you.

it's not a good thing to rise up suddenly from your practices that might cause irritation in the nervous system "of course if there's smthg urgent than that's different..."

light and love,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  2:29:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

neerja1

India
22 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2009 :  04:19:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit neerja1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ananda,

Many thanks for your insight. I guess you are right on both the counts - an outside disturbance probably making us more aware of the mantra and the surrendering process.. and my sudden rising during the practices being not the right thing to do. I shall take care now..my gratitude to you..

Peace and love

Neerja

Go to Top of Page

WSH

USA
38 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  09:06:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello all
I have a totally different question in regards to disturbance during meditation? I find that often times something will happen when I am doing the deep meditation that will disturb me. For instance I have been getting up early to meditate before my kids get up, but sometimes say 12 minutes into the meditation one of my kids will wake up and I have to stop and get them back to bed. This can send quite a jolt to my nervous system. What should I do? Should I go back and do eight minutes of the deep meditation or perhaps go back and do a longer rest period without finishing the eight minutes? Any help would be appreciated. I am new at this form of meditation and I really want to give it a chance to work? Thanks.
WSH
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  12:24:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HI WSH here is a lesson that should be of help to you

http://www.aypsite.org/60.html

You dont say if you have Yogani's book "Deep Meditation" it would be terry worth while to you to get it you will find answers to most of your questions in the early stages of deep meditation there.

Here is a short exert
Now, what if Auntie May runs into the room
yelling, “Fire!” What do we do then? Very simple.
We get up right away and do whatever is necessary to
take care of the situation. The first priority is saving
life and limb. In the case where we have to get up and
take care of an emergency, we may feel some
roughness later on, due to impurities we have left
halfway unwound when we jumped up out of our
meditation. In that case it will be good to lie down for
a while after the emergency has past. Do not start the
meditation over. Just take a break and rest when there
is an opportunity, and then go back to the next
normally scheduled meditation when the appointed
time arrives.

Edited by - Richard on Dec 07 2009 12:40:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  12:44:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi WSH,

This is a tricky one.Although it's all part of maturing growing inner silence.

But you might want to check out this thread here .There's references to kids,distractions and discussion related to that.

Just a suggesstion but if you had a partner to keep them tethered during DM ,that might be helpful.Or have a quiet gentle word in their little ears.

Do you stop or go back? If you were feeling a bit disturbed by it, then maybe better waiting a couple of hours,as the mind might want to chew on this disruption for a while and that might affect effective DM.Otherwise just gently go back. The trick is not to make a drama out of it in your own mind.Rest easy for a few mins- ( you can just focus on pure bliss consciousnes or the breath) before gently re-introducing the mantra.

Good things are happening.Just a matter of persevering with it until the mantra begins to "bake" in- that was about 2wks in my case though could range typically(?) anywhere from 10 days to 3 wks though conceivably might depend on what matrix of obstructions you might already come here with.

Carry on.You're doing great!

Edited by - Akasha on Dec 07 2009 12:57:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

adamantclearlight

USA
410 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  3:10:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit adamantclearlight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It is a simple matter of good progress.

Adamant
Go to Top of Page

WSH

USA
38 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2009 :  6:08:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello all,
and thank you again for all the fine responses, it is always appreciated and always a big help!
WSH
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000