Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Ready 4 Samyama?/Adding sutras?/Patanjali's list
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  11:28:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Would these topics be suitable to use as Sutras for Samyama?

Safe/invulnerable
Breatharian
Freedom
Immortal
Rejeneration
Knowing or Supreme awareness
High-Bodhichitta
Impeccable

Am a little rusty, but am able to maintain an element of quiet after meditating on and off since the 80's....would that be enough experience to begin Samyama?

Should i wait until after beginning Spinal Breathing regularly?

Where could i easily find Patanjali's full, extended list of possible sutras?

Thank uou!

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  3:00:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rael, and welcome!

If you are interested in doing research on Patanjali's samyama sutras, the Appendix of the AYP Samyama book is recommended. The Appendix is specifically for doing research with Patanjali's sutras, within the context of a stable overall practice routine. There are 30 sutras there altogether. This is a research list and not the same as the AYP core samyama practice, or cosmic samyama, both which are covered in the book also, as well as in the main online lessons (#150 and #299).

A stable sitting practice with deep meditation is recommended before beginning any samyama practice. This may or may not include spinal breathing pranayama. It is possible to "leap frog" to core samyama practice with a stable routine of deep meditation in place, and abiding inner silence coming up. Stable core samyama practice (Lesson 150) is recommended before attempting research on alternate sutras.

A consistent twice-daily practice over the long term (using essentially the same sutra line-up) is the key to success in samyama. This is true of all practices -- consistency over time.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2009 :  04:01:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, as always!
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2009 :  12:34:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

Hi Rael, and welcome!

If you are interested in doing research on Patanjali's samyama sutras, the Appendix of the AYP Samyama book is recommended. The Appendix is specifically for doing research with Patanjali's sutras, within the context of a stable overall practice routine. There are 30 sutras there altogether. This is a research list and not the same as the AYP core samyama practice, or cosmic samyama, both which are covered in the book also, as well as in the main online lessons (#150 and #299).

A stable sitting practice with deep mediation is recommended before beginning any samyama practice. This may or may not include spinal breathing pranayama. It is possible to "leap frog" to core samyama practice with a stable routine of deep meditation in place, and abiding inner silence coming up. Stable core samyama practice (Lesson 150) is recommended before attempting research on alternate sutras.

A consistent twice-daily practice over the long term (using essentially the same sutra line-up) is the key to success in samyama. This is true of all practices -- consistency over time.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Having attempted the 9 Sutras in the AYP book and decided to give them up last year I started again a few weeks ago. Really amazed by the results in everyday life, I no longer see previous 'enemies' as enemies anymore and seem to have a new found lightness and joy inside me. I find myself welling up in tears of joy at beautiful things and situations, like something is bursting out of me. I put this down to the Sutras because I have never been like that, ever. Thanks you for showing me the path.
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  01:48:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Karl, and congatulations on your recent development! That is why it is so easy to immerse oneself in this work...WOW!
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2009 :  7:03:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both for the guidance on approaching the sutras. i had originally had the book on Samyama, but sent it back in favor of getting the large yellow book, which i thought encompassed the material of all the smaller books. Is there nowhere else to find the listing of thirty sutras by Patanjali?

Happy Thanksgiving!

Sincerely

Rael
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2009 :  10:15:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Rael

Thank you both for the guidance on approaching the sutras. i had originally had the book on Samyama, but sent it back in favor of getting the large yellow book, which i thought encompassed the material of all the smaller books. Is there nowhere else to find the listing of thirty sutras by Patanjali?

Hi Rael:

Currently, the only place the samyama research discussion with the 30 AYP-condensed Patanjali sutras can be found is in the appendix of the Samyama book. It will also be included in AYP Easy Lessons Volume 2, due out in about a year.

The guru is in you.

PS: For a recent summary of AYP Vol 2, in development, see here: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=6655#59519

And here is a Dec 2006 discussion on the relationship of the small Enlightenment Series books to the online lessons, AYP Vol 1, and the upcoming AYP Vol 2: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=1830#14599
Note the points of view on the AYP books from others in that topic also.

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2009 :  8:52:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rael,
If you'd like to, email me your mailing address and I can mail you a samyama book.
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Ayamer

Brazil
78 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  4:05:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello to all .. I would like to know about the sequence of the sutras, there is a sequence ideal? sutras should be repeated in the same order they are listed in the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali? or I can change the order ?

thanks
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  6:34:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by tmer

hello to all .. I would like to know about the sequence of the sutras, there is a sequence ideal? sutras should be repeated in the same order they are listed in the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali? or I can change the order ?

thanks

Hi Tmer.
Welcome to the AYP forums.

You are asking about the samyama sutras as stated in Yogani's lessons right? Not sure because you also mention Patanjali's sutras. Yogani has a list of Patanjali's Samyama Sutras in the Samyama book.

I can tell you the sequence that is recommended here in AYP:

Love
Radiance
Unity
Health
Strength
Abundance
Wisdom
Inner Sensuality
Akasha – Lightness of Air

And yes, we stick with the same sequence. It is easier to memorize it this way.

You can read you more in the lesson here:
http://www.aypsite.org/150.html

Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

Ayamer

Brazil
78 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  10:11:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the welcome .. I'm in love with this forum, yes. I'm asked about the sutras of the book "samyama" the 30 sutras, but in general what is the rule for the order of the sutras? there a correct order? or can be any order?

yes you helped a lot ... I hope you understand my English:)
Go to Top of Page

Ayamer

Brazil
78 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  10:21:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
and on the list that you wrote, wy love is the first and Akasha – Lightness of Air is the last , wy love is not the last and Akasha – Lightness of Air.. is the first .. this is my doubt, and the book list samyama if I want to choose to practice only a few sutras and insert in the list that you wrote which is the rule to choose the order ?

thank you very much ...
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  11:38:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tmer, and welcome!

On the 30 Patanjali samyama sutras in the appendix of the AYP Samyama book, these are for optional research for well-established practitioners. It is suggested to read the instructions in the appendix to see how they are recommended to be used. This is not where AYP samyama practice begins. If it were, it would not be the appendix.

As for the order of the core samyama sutras, the order is not as significant as the range of spiritual neurobiology they cover all together.

Real samyama is not about developing individual siddhis (powers) to satisfy our personal will. It is about purification and opening of the entire nervous system to experience all of our life as abiding inner silence, ecstatic bliss and outpouring divine love. This is also called the cultivation of "stillness in action," and unity.

It is suggested to read the book, and you can develop a good foundation for samyama practice and a clear understanding of "stillness in action," "siddhis," and "miracles."

Remember, one step at a time. You should not be considering samyama until you have a stable twice-daily routine of deep meditation in place for at least a few months. As you advance in practices over time, you will be in a much better position to be testing and rearranging things, and by then you may conclude that it is not necessary to do that.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

PS: It is suggested to review the Online Lessons in the order given to get a general idea of the sequence of learning practices in AYP.

Go to Top of Page

Ayamer

Brazil
78 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  08:04:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for welcome , I love your answer, yes, I understand the purpose of siddhis Sutras of Patanjali, the purpose is about purification and ecstatic bliss and outpouring divine love, this is my interest, I practiced for many years-tm sidhs of MMY and observed Some lists of sutras taught by MMY, (18 sutras and 30 sutras) I'm curious to know what the criterion of choice on the order of the sutras, MMY says, is the sutra akasha - lightness of air, a sutra that is more powerful for purifying and obtain enlightenment .... but wy he says that this sutra is the most important?

"As for the order of the core samyama sutras, the order is not as significant as the range of spiritual neurobiology they cover all together"

ok then the order is not the most important? .

thanks again
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  09:04:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

"As for the order of the core samyama sutras, the order is not as significant as the range of spiritual neurobiology they cover all together."

ok then the order is not the most important?

Hi Tmer:

That's right, but the consistency of our daily practice over time is very important. This is how the list of sutras we are using is "baked in" to our nervous system, yielding the greatest long term results. That's why switching things around often is not recommended. Small steps and steady daily practice is the way to go. That is the AYP approach for all practices, and it is reflected throughout the online lessons and books.

If you have questions on your TM practice, it is suggested to go to your TM teacher for those. Better to go to the source than to rely on speculation from others.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Ayamer

Brazil
78 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  09:25:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yes ok .. you helped me a lot, I loved your book Samyama, and I'll do the practices of AYP, now I'm not practicing TM-Sidhi, I read your article about "the guru is in you", very good, this article helped me a lot .. through this article I noticed that we have an external guru and also several external gurus and this is the extension of our own inner conscience .. very good .. I'm learning a lot in AYP ..
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  09:44:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I hope you understand my English:)

Your English is fine. Thank you for posting.

quote:

and on the list that you wrote, wy love is the first and Akasha – Lightness of Air is the last , wy love is not the last and Akasha – Lightness of Air.. is the first .. this is my doubt, and the book list samyama if I want to choose to practice only a few sutras and insert in the list that you wrote which is the rule to choose the order ?

thank you very much ...

As Yogani said, the order is not important. So you can make your own order, however, stay with that order so that you don't get confused during your practice.

Also, since you are new to the forums, not sure if you realize, you can edit your own posts. Just click on the pencil and paper icon on the top of the post.
Go to Top of Page

Ayamer

Brazil
78 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  09:54:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
tm movement is closed ... everything is totally secret and I want to learn more .. it's hard to talk with tm teachers.. I think

Dear Shanti

my English is good hehehe. thanks, I think not write well .. ... great you understand me:) .. yes I'm new in AYP .. Thank you for showing me the pencil.

"As Yogani said, the order is not important. So you can make your own order, however, stay with that order so that you don't get confused during your practice."

yes, thanks for your guides. you helped me ...

Edited by - Ayamer on Dec 09 2009 10:01:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  10:03:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

You are welcome.
Go to Top of Page

Ayamer

Brazil
78 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  10:13:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shanti ..

thank you very much dear friend ..
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000