Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Something weird
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  2:36:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
The other day, during meditation, about 5 minutes into it, I experienced an odd type of awareness, one that I never have before...

Bare with me, it is very hard to find words that describe it...

I started to see lights, they seemed to be bright lights only veiled, like there was something hiding the full brightness, and then as my consciousness continually expanded I hit a point where it felt I was 'entering into' another higher level of awareness... Then it was like all my awareness was gathered at a single point in the 'middle', but at the same time expanded all out around with no boundaries... It was like I wasn't looking into the blackness in front of me anymore, behind closed eyelids, and it wasn't like the usual expanded mind meditation state where my awareness is spread out and feels bigger, but instead it was like I was not inhibited by the body, almost like I didn't have one, because there were no limits, it was just my awareness all at a single dimensionless point but all around it simultaneously. Needless to say, I felt like an alien, and it scared the crap out of me, I opened my eyes, felt normal, nothing strange, closed my eyes, there it was again, opened my eyes, again normal, etc etc. this continued until it seemed to settle down and I lost it, then I resumed meditation and it didn't come back...

I thought afterwards maybe this was the 'fourth dimension' (fifth dimension if you include time) but I am not sure... I realize now it was pretty stupid to be scared, I just thought if I continued in that state I would have went too far and disappeared, never return to earth again..

What was this?

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2009 :  1:47:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's scenery. Sometimes it is unsettling, sometimes it's blissful, sometimes exciting. It can be visuals, noises, smells, sounds, tastes or feelings.

The answer is always the same, go gently back to awareness on the mantra and those things will eventually disappear.

Go to Top of Page

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  9:17:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Are you sure this is scenery it has no sense of perception and no visual input or anything at all! And by the way, I have found that I can go into this 'state' at will after connecting to my inner silence - even after a couple minutes of silence! And I realized that I described it wrong the first time... I really don't know how to describe it at all because it is just so completely different I can not compare it to anything and definitely cannot find words to use... So could this be a type of samadhi? Can someone describe samadhi to me in laypersons terms? I really just read a little bit about samadhi and I am confused about it, so I don't know anything about the different types...
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  11:30:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BellaMente

Are you sure this is scenery it has no sense of perception and no visual input or anything at all! And by the way, I have found that I can go into this 'state' at will after connecting to my inner silence - even after a couple minutes of silence! And I realized that I described it wrong the first time... I really don't know how to describe it at all because it is just so completely different I can not compare it to anything and definitely cannot find words to use... So could this be a type of samadhi? Can someone describe samadhi to me in laypersons terms? I really just read a little bit about samadhi and I am confused about it, so I don't know anything about the different types...

Hi BellaMente,
"Scenery" in AYP means anything and everything that is not part of the practice that you are doing at the time. It doesn't necessarily have to be sensory data or lack of sensory data. The AYP bottom line, is to keep driving the car, the fewer distractions you have, the better. You only start to agree with that advice after going through the experiences for a while and then that advice starts to ring true.. :) Especially after reading this Patanjali sutra:

quote:

Practice is the sustained effort to rest in that stillness. And this practice becomes firmly rooted when it is cultivated skillfully and continuously for a long time. As for non-reaction, one can recognize that it has been fully achieved when no attachment arises in regard to anything at all, whether perceived directly or learned.

When the ultimate level of non-reaction has been reached, pure awareness can clearly see itself as independent from the fundamental qualities of nature.

I believe you hit the void. The void is a huge never-ending pitch black expanse that many meditators hit at some point. I can go to void anytime I wish by just increasing my frequency of awareness and drilling out the back or top of my head. That said, I've also heard the void being referred to as the gap in the sushumna between the medulla and the pineal gland, which is usually bridged by kechari (Tongue into the nasal passages) but can also be bridged by forming a 'bridge' of astral substance accross the gap if you know how (so I've heard).

A common characteristic of the void is the immense feeling that you are about to die, which must be overcome.

Personally, I have jumped into the void a few times but I came bouncing back out and I kind of lost interest in it. It is too huge. If you examine the void very closely, you will see very faint lights very far away but you really have to concentrate/meditate on it to see that.

As far as Samadhi goes, there are many kinds of Samadhi. I am no expert on it but I have experienced some of them. A few times, when I was repeating a very long kundalini mantra (takes over 1 minute to recite one repetition and I was trying to recite 108 repetitions in one sitting), my mind cratered. It shut down. I could no longer think. I couldn't remember the mantra at all, couldn't get it going so I just gave up and looked around.

What happened after that is that I was in a dark expanse which felt very nice. It wasn't pitch black, more like a twilight sky. I could see that my bodies had split apart. There were four bodies. I could see outlines of my form, split out in front of me. I could still perceive and sort of 'think' but I felt that I was dreaming. Another member on this forum described that state as a lower kind of Samadhi.

Another kind of Samadhi that I've experienced is when you 'up' your concentration/meditation to the point where you are putting all your will/concentration/attention/effort/breath into only one thing. After 20 minutes of continual effort, your body dissolves into a cloud of bliss and then whatever you are focusing on gets very bright and shiny. It becomes alive. Then, if you continue, you merge with the object of concentration and you experience phenomenal bright light and a feeling of motion. Then, you kind of black out and lose sense of time. After, you kind of wonder what that was. After that experience, your mind is very quiet and things look brighter/clearer/crisper. The effect lasts for an extended amount of time. You will have trouble sleeping, maybe even for a few days after that.

I'm sure many others here know much more about samadhi than I do, like nirvikalpa samadhi which is one of the higher ones.. or the 'samadhi without seed'...

:)
TI
Go to Top of Page

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  7:17:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks TI how long have you been doing AYP for???
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2009 :  8:54:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BellaMente

Thanks TI how long have you been doing AYP for???

Hi BellaMente :)
I started AYP in July of 2007 and did 2 years solid of twice a day practice. Then I started posting in the winter because I was having some interesting experiences. However, I also did/do many other things too like Reiki (level III), Kunlun, full body crystal layouts, shaktipat in absentia from Sri Anandi Ma, chakra meditations, kundalini meditations, Tummo Reiki (from a book), and other things in addition to the AYP practices. I also read a new book every week or cruise the net looking for ebooks. I guess you could say that I'm a spiritual junkie. :)

Before that, I practiced the Self Realization Fellowship Energization exercises and learned their Kriya lessons for 2 years. Before that, I was a Rosicrucian member for 2 years. I tend to give everything a 2 year limit, I'm noticing.. Before that, well, yoga, astral projection, Don Juan -Carlos Casteneda, gazing, reading auras, tarot...

The most profound powerful experience that I've ever had was when I met Jesus back around 1988. I've written about it several times on this forum, but words do not convey the full impact.

How about you? What was the most powerful event in your life so far?

:)
TI
Go to Top of Page

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2009 :  12:31:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow... Have you always been so spiritually inclined? By the way, I did read your stories before and I was amazed, and I actually like to share them with the people I know that are christians, whenever they actually want to listen..

I really don't know what I could say was the MOST powerful event in my life so far... I guess just overcoming my past, and changing my life.. I have had a lot of hard experiences- in my family there was a lot of mental illness, addictions, murder (uncle killed grandpa), and other things I can't share on a public forum.. I've been on every drug in the book, overdosed 5 times, been raped, almost killed several times, got into selling drugs, robbing people, breaking into houses, been in and out of jail for misdemeanors and felonies, almost got charged with attempted murder on my ex boyfriend etc. etc. etc. I think it's amazing I am not dead or in prison, let alone that I changed my life and started going to college, accomplishing so many things and had so many before-thought impossible dreams come true... Nobody can ever convince me that a God with grace doesn't exist, I witnessed miracles upon miracles and I attribute the circumstances around my dramtic change to be the work of God alone....

But hopefully as more years go by I will start to experience more amazing spiritual events, and hey you never know, maybe I can catch up to you!
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  07:40:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that's so amazing Bella!!!

Way to go!!

I wish you much more progress and expansion.

Go to Top of Page

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2009 :  7:41:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for being so kind Yonatan, and I wish you the same and more
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000