Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Too soon for samyama?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2009 :  10:07:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am currently doing 5 min SB and 20 min DM at 3 and 9 pm daily, I have no energy symptoms except if I prolong my first session until later (like now I have pressure in my head because I was stuck shopping for a dress and a suit for a wedding all day...) I was wondering when can I start samyama? I really like the idea of it but I don't know if there are certain prerequisites I need before I can do it....

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  07:32:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi BellaMente,

If you are stable in your practices, as you seem to be, then yes you can add samyama. The only prerequisite for samyama is some inner silence, and if you have been meditating for a bit, you should have access to some inner silence.

Here is what Yogani had to say:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....C_ID=306#103
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

It only takes a little inner silence to begin to gain some benefit from samyama practice. In the AYP lessons we can leap-frog to samyama as soon as we feel we are ready. See the recent lesson on this at http://www.aypsite.org/269.html

Leap-frogging is not recommended for any other practice in AYP. But for samyama, it can serve us well if we have some inner silence coming up.

How do we know if we have some inner silence? If we find the mantra fading naturally and we are picking it up at very refined and fuzzy levels when we go back to it, then that is inner silence. That is also where we do samyama, at that fuzzy level on the edge of no thoughts at all. It is very simple. It is usually easy to notice if we are picking up the mantra at a refined level. We cannot force this to happen. It happens according to ongoing purification. It will not be refined like that all the time either. It depends on what purification is going on in our nervous system at the moment. If it is refined like that from time to time, then we can benefit from samyama. In fact, samyama will improve our ability to pick up the mantra deep in the mind.

So, if we are having that experience of fuzzy mantra fading away, then samyama will not be a waste of time. If we start too early with samyama, we will not do ourselves any harm either. As always, it is up to you. Here it is: http://www.aypsite.org/150.html Make sure to read the lessons before and after too, so you will get the whole picture.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  11:53:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, well my mind is not completely silent all the time - I do the mantra and sometimes my thoughts still go while I think the mantra (if that makes sense?) it is like I am doing the mantra still but I haven't noticed my thoughts are going on. When I do notice it I stop and go back to the mantra. Is this okay or is there not enough of inner silence?
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  12:07:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is completely normal. It is common to have the mantra going either in the background of your thoughts, or in the foreground while thoughts play on in the background. The party line here at AYP is just to favor the mantra. If thoughts are going on, and you don't notice them, what can you do about it? Nothing. When you notice there is thought, and it is being favored over the mantra, just gently come back to favoring the mantra instead. And don't stress about it, beat yourself up, or any other such silliness.
Only you will know for sure if you have enough inner silence to start adding in the samyama practice....and the only way you will know for sure is to add in the practice and watch for overload symptoms. If they don't come, great, keep the practice in your daily sadhana. If you start to get uncomfortable symptoms either in or out of meditation, well, time to back off for a while and revisit in the future.

Most importantly, don't overthink things. Don't try to "own" your thoughts. You can't actually "own" anything

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  3:25:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BellaMente

Okay, well my mind is not completely silent all the time - I do the mantra and sometimes my thoughts still go while I think the mantra (if that makes sense?) it is like I am doing the mantra still but I haven't noticed my thoughts are going on. When I do notice it I stop and go back to the mantra. Is this okay or is there not enough of inner silence?

Yes.. I think you do have enough silence.

And like Carson said, try samyama... if you don't have enough silence it may not work.. but you really cant go wrong with this practice. Like Yogani says above "If we start too early with samyama, we will not do ourselves any harm either".
Go to Top of Page

Lacinato

USA
98 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2009 :  11:39:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lacinato's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I tend towards oversensitivity, but I agree to try samyama if you are stable. I was unsure if I was ready when I started it, but never had overpurification from it, so I continued. As soon as more inner silence broke free, I finally was able to see that it had been working the whole time on some level, even when I was unable to see it. It's like praying for grace or love... there can never be any harm there. :)
Go to Top of Page

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  8:24:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you again Carson, Shanti, and Lacinato for your suggestions...

I am going to start incorporating it. Do I treat it the same as the other practices and do it twice a day, not underdoing it, not overdoing it?
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  9:12:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, same as the other practices. Twice a day as described in this lesson: http://www.aypsite.org/150.html
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000