Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 collapsing circles on dark screen of eyelids?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

macarius

USA
20 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  11:38:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit macarius's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Friends,

I've read about the "vision" of the star and the colored circles that sometimes appear during pranayama or deep meditation. I don't believe I've seen that specifically, but often, on the blank screen of my closed eyelids, I will see concentric patterns that appear on the periphery of the screen and then collapse towards a point. Once the circle collapses into itself another concentric pattern comes into view on the periphery and the same thing happens. The perception is not that my awareness is moving into the circle, but rather that I'm leaving it - like I'm pulling away and going "up" quickly and leaving these circular patterns behind. They're not vividly colored either, but appear more like a very dull amber - sort of like a muted version of the color seen on old monochromatic computer screens. Even then though, the colors are very very subtle. They are more like shadows than colors.

At any rate, I know that, if anything, this is just part of the scenery. I'm not looking for a direct correspondence between this perception and a "stage" along the path, I'm just curious as to whether anyone else has seen this kind of thing. Maybe it relates to perceiving the spinal nerve? Thanks for any thoughts or experiences you'd like to share!

macarius

Edited by - macarius on Sep 21 2009 7:08:16 PM

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  7:30:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I get that sometimes, too. Don't know what it means.
Go to Top of Page

macarius

USA
20 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  08:21:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit macarius's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey thanks Scott. It's helpful to compare experiences sometimes. I'm not sure if seeing these circles even has anything to yoga practices - it may just be a natural occurrence when the eyes are closed for a bit.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  6:50:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen those things periodically for years. Castaneda mentioned something in his books about some kind of rollers - big stones that roll away from you. I thought that is what they were, but I don't remember any meaning being connected. I get a lot of clairvoyance also, watching things from a distance, and this seems to happen in that same state.
Maybe it has something to do with the pulses of blood or prana and the optic nerve. I don't know.

Edited by - Etherfish on Sep 22 2009 6:51:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lacinato

USA
98 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  10:26:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lacinato's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought it was just an eye thing as well. Any optometrists able to confirm/negate?
Go to Top of Page

macarius

USA
20 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  08:54:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit macarius's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting guys. I saw these circle things again this morning - perceptually they are oriented just slightly off center of the black eyelid screen towards the northwest. Related to this, does anyone have the experience while meditating wherein it seems as if the eyes dart back and forth and then suddenly they will elevate, or look up, and the frenetic movements stop? This is much like when you are slipping into sleep and suddenly catch yourself. When this "catch" happens, there is a kind of perceptual shift; as if the eyes are fluttering around as you move towards unconsciousness and then steady their gaze when full consciousness reengages. Is this a regular part of the meditation cycle? I'm curious as to whether it's a normal part of the process or if it's rather a function of me being too tired and fighting with the body's desire to descend into sleep. Also, should I post this question somewhere else, or is it appropriate to raise it here? (I'm new to both the boards and meditation.)
Go to Top of Page

macarius

USA
20 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  09:02:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit macarius's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Etherfish, I wanted to ask you, what does clairvoyance "feel" like? In other words, is it a phenomena where you're cognizant of picking up information clairvoyantly, or is it something you wouldn't otherwise know is happening unless you used some kind of validation method? For example, let's say a piece of information about someone came to your through clairvoyance - how would you distinguish the clairvoyant thought from a random, inaccurate thought that just happened to arise from mental activity?
Go to Top of Page

BellaMente

USA
147 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  6:35:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi macarius, I have the exact same thing going on with the 'circles' collapsing to a point, and also the 'going up' and 'catching yourself' sort of thing. Actually, I was just looking here to see what that was about because a couple times when I was going up/in - whatever you want to call it- and 'collapsed' to a different awareness (like you said, a kind of perceptual shift) it felt like my mind/consciousness/awareness expanded upwards and outwards, like everything was magnified, and both times it happened my heart started pounding and racing really really fast and I had to stop and open my eyes because I was scared....I felt stupid and guilty that I was scared, but I thought I was going to lose myself or something! I was just wondering what that was and if it is normal....
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  6:47:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by macarius

Etherfish, I wanted to ask you, what does clairvoyance "feel" like? In other words, is it a phenomena where you're cognizant of picking up information clairvoyantly, or is it something you wouldn't otherwise know is happening unless you used some kind of validation method? For example, let's say a piece of information about someone came to your through clairvoyance - how would you distinguish the clairvoyant thought from a random, inaccurate thought that just happened to arise from mental activity?

I know it doesn't arise from mental activity because there isn't any. As soon as I start thinking, clairvoyance stops.
I have never used any kind of validation. I see people doing things, and i know it is real but i have no idea where or when or whom I am watching.
Go to Top of Page

macarius

USA
20 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  09:05:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit macarius's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Bella, I don't know much about this, it may be like a shiny object gleaming on the side of the road that turns out to be a distraction, but perhaps the circles we're talking about take us into the subject of phosphenes. A whole lot of research has been done here: http://www.phosphenism.com/accueil.html. Anyone else know much about phosphenes?
Go to Top of Page

macarius

USA
20 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  09:07:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit macarius's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Etherfish thanks, that's incredible. Have you had occasion to use your clairvoyance, or have you ever sensed some kind of inner direction about why you see what you do? Fascinating subject!
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  6:56:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No i have never had any use for it! I just watch. Occasionally i have different visions of my future, and I can tell it's about me. Still no purpose though, I just know something before it happens.
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  10:25:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You're a lucky man ether.
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2009 :  11:31:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
... I will see concentric patterns that appear on the periphery of the screen and then collapse towards a point. Once the circle collapses into itself another concentric pattern comes into view on the periphery and the same thing happens. The perception is not that my awareness is moving into the circle, but rather that I'm leaving it - like I'm pulling away and going "up" quickly and leaving these circular patterns behind. They're not vividly colored either, but appear more like a very dull amber - sort of like a muted version of the color seen on old monochromatic computer screens. Even then though, the colors are very very subtle. They are more like shadows than colors.

At any rate, I know that, if anything, this is just part of the scenery. I'm not looking for a direct correspondence between this perception and a "stage" along the path, I'm just curious as to whether anyone else has seen this kind of thing. Maybe it relates to perceiving the spinal nerve? Thanks for any thoughts or experiences you'd like to share!

macarius

Hi macarius,
I've written about seeing the pulses of light that you are seeing at this link (in case you are interested):
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=6507

Om Shanti
TI
Go to Top of Page

macarius

USA
20 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  2:45:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit macarius's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow TI . . . that's an amazing post! I can't say I've experienced any of that. I'm not after experiences really, but I am sort of looking for signs that I'm proceeding along the path correctly. I haven't been at this long, maybe 1.5 months, so it's probably too early to be looking for that kind of feedback. Thanks for sharing those experiences!
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  6:32:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Wow TI . . . that's an amazing post! I can't say I've experienced any of that. I'm not after experiences really, but I am sort of looking for signs that I'm proceeding along the path correctly. I haven't been at this long, maybe 1.5 months, so it's probably too early to be looking for that kind of feedback. Thanks for sharing those experiences!

Hi Macarius,
Thanks. Good luck with your journey.
:)
TI
Go to Top of Page

JDas

USA
74 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  8:27:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit JDas's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Are you a little happier now than you were 1.5 months ago?
Are you a little more loving perhaps since then?
Are you a little less 'negative' maybe?
Are colors a little brighter?
Are you noticing different things?
Are a little less anxious/afraid?

I think the changes, at least for me, have been subtle. I think it's different for different people.
I wouldn't know what signs to look for actually.

quote:

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000