Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Back bends and emotions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  7:47:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm 60 and i've been working a lot on backbends lately. (bridge position). I have heard in the past about people having spontaneous kundalini awakening from back bends.
Not me, but what i have noticed is a LOT of stored emotions being released. Anger, sadness, etc. Has anyone else experienced this?

It has always been my belief that a lot of what people attribute to aging is not aging at all, but other problems like not using the body and stretching enough, stored emotions, poor diet, dehydration, too much stress and no meditation, etc.
So now I am wondering if some people get hunched over when they grow old from stored emotions? If they are released from backbends, then storing more of them may cause hunching forward?

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  8:14:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Ether, back bends are notorious for releasing stored emotions... both good and bad, so it can result in depression or highs/excessive laughing. Please self pace, it hits really hard really fast. There are some discussion on it at the forum. I will look for them when I have a bit more time and post them here.
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  9:06:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ether, this is interesting about stored emotions causing hunched backs.. Because sometimes after meditation the back or front of the heart chakra hurts, and then when the pain is a little gone I suddenly (automatically) straighten my back, like I'm healthier..
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  9:16:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

Yes Ether, back bends are notorious for releasing stored emotions... both good and bad, so it can result in depression or highs/excessive laughing. Please self pace, it hits really hard really fast. There are some discussion on it at the forum. I will look for them when I have a bit more time and post them here.

Wow, thanks Shanti, yes I have experienced depression, laughing all of it in a short time. I would like to see more about this.
Since I don't believe aging is what people think it is - I am in an intensive dance/workout class with younger people. Bridge is hard for some of them and easy for others. But is has been extremely hard for me. So I started practicing it every day. Then the emotional release started happening. I can't practice the bridge for very long; can't put my weight on one arm, etc.
Then during the day I get emotional release; anger, depression, laughing, crying at nothing etc.
Also I keep having this desire for more back bends. It feels good. I have this feeling like I don't care if I lose myself; i just want more of it.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  05:09:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ether
Funny, I'm getting a lot of back release also these days.
It came to me through a different route. I have been practicing, what is called a Body Scan, as part of a course on mindfulness I am doing.

This essentiall is bringing awareness into the body, generally starting at the toes and working one's way up the body in a sequence.
After a while I noticed tension and pain developing on the whole of the back of my body, not just my back but also the hamstrings and heels.
I have found the AYP practices excellent for being able to penetrate more deeply into the tissues and bones with a concentrated mind in silence. Gradually this practice is releasing body armour and emotions I simply was not able to access before, even with yoga.
I know, for me a gentle and more subtle approach has alway been more fruitful and maybe that's why it is working so effectively.

Here are a couple of sites with info.(not on the body scan though)
http://biologyofkundalini.com/artic...ioenergetics

http://www.stress-anxiety-depressio...opic-50.html

I don't want things to go any faster than they are at present, the temptation is to start back bends, after reading your post, but I definately need to watch the self-pacing here on this one

Hope all goes well for you
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  06:14:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
On second thoughts some yoga in moderation would probably help release things for me ~ what do you think Shanti dear?
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  07:58:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sparkle,
Try this one:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=836
Jim said:
Here's what you ought to shoot for as a bare minimum. Chest opening. That's what it all boils down to. the Iyengar system has developed "restorative" ways of doing asanas that are passive and require no energy, but there are ways to use blocks and bolsters (big pillows) and blankets to put your body in the position where the energy can flow, open up your chest, and that's exactly what you need. I learned it in classes, so I haven't used a book for this, but I just looked around Amazon and this looks like a great guide: "Relax and Renew" by Judith Lasater. I hope you'll buy it. You'll need to spend some money to buy a bolster and stuff (if money's a problem, email me and I'll chip in some). But if you'll get into restorative yoga, mostly chest openings, you'll have huge results, I can honestly promise you. At very very least, it's something you absolutely will be ok doing during all but the most severe depressions.

Here's the basic chest opener, to get you started (Victor, correct me if I get this wrong, ok?). Take a yoga block (never buy the plastic ones, which won't support your weight....must be made from wood) and place it on end on the floor. Lay down on your back on top of the brick with the brick just below shoulder blades (with the narrowest edge facing your neck). Try to relax everything. Breathe. Move the brick very slighly up and down every few minutes.
Actually, that's an extreme one. You may perceive it to be painful (it's not really pain...it's energy hitting blockages...and it goes away pretty fast). But it's a cure for what you've got. There are gentler versions of this in the book, where you use softer, lower things like blankets and bolsters.

Just makes sure you self pace this one, it is a very simple practice, but really kicks out the blocks and can lead to too much purification at once.

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  08:45:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ether,
Here are some topics I found that discuss backbends:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1885
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=4610

And some individual posts (there are some more but the general gist of all of them are the same):
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....hpage=3#6082
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=3250#28388
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=3250#28390
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=3802#33314

Most of them say that backbends are energizing and makes you feel giddy happy. But in my case I have had a release of a lot of emotions. Either way, too much will result in some form of overload.. either too much energy or too much purification. So do self pace.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  10:07:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Shanti

Actually I remember that one well and have thought it to a few people over here.
Personally I find just lying on my back on the floor with my shoulders back is enough to open my heart - without any block or blanket.
I often do this when doing the body scan and can feel the chest expansion.
The other releases I was talking about are different, they are in the muscles and tissues all down my back and legs.

I agree though that when the heart is open it can release anything
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  11:56:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ether,

very interesting stuff here and I like your stile in approaching aging. I'd love to know more about your understanding of the aging process, also because I started to study yoga therapy, and aging is certainly one of the "diseases" we can efficiently handle with yoga. Really interesting, keep us posted about your findings, please!

This is one of my beck-bends/emotion release related experiences, while I was in a deep non-ordinary state of consciousness, during a therapeutic session. It goes the other way around, when emotional release causes the body to enter backbends. (Here is the entire thread.)

First I begun to experience further asanas, but this time fully automatic. Basically backbends (bridge, bridge on the head...)
A quite long sequence of powerful kriyas followed. Head, hands, legs, whole body... This was really intense and involved great force - VERY FAST oscillations and vibrations of the pelvis, legs, and arms, definitely far beyond normal possibilities of the muscles. Some of the pelvic vibrations were so powerful, they caused my whole body to lift off the floor. Other movements were smooth and graceful. This was accompanied by emotions of all kinds - joyful, cute, triumphant, beautiful, serious, "manly", sorrowful, awful....
In the following, say, one hour, I experienced the main part of the event, which was a powerful purification of the spinal canal. I was lying on the floor in powerful whole-body contractions, in a permanent deep backbend, with my fists clenched, mouth and throat wide open, tongue outside. My breath stopped for long periods on bahya kumbhaka, during which I experienced what has been called "energetic vomiting" in another thread, some time ago. I was aware of huge amounts of energetic crap spouting out of my mouth. Then a brief period of fast breathing, and again... This repeated itself several times. At the same time I perceived a demonic aspect of the bad energy abandoning my spine. I had visions of the spine itself, and of my head being the head of an evil being, a devil-like scull with glowing red eyes. I was trying to ged rid of it with all my inner and outer force, everything more or less automatic.

Keep up the good work, Ether!

Roman
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  11:47:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Roman, and interesting post.
My approach to aging is pretty simple. Basically "use it or lose it" applies very widely. You need to find something fun that is strenuous, and do it 2 or 3 times a week for a half hour or more.
By strenuous I mean it makes you breathe hard and sweat. Sweating is very healthy for your skin. Breathing hard is essential for the immune system as it powers the lymphatic system.
I use dance, but anything preferably low impact. You HAVE to love it or you won't keep it up.

Then stretching and full rotation of every joint. Dance teachers are often good at that; mine has us stretch for a half hour and recommends more at home. I imagine yoga asanas would be perfect.

Meditation to keep the stress out of your body. Stress is the #1 cause of premature aging.

You need something HARD for your mind to work on. It has been found that we do gain new brain cells, but ONLY by solving new, difficult problems. Lab rats wouldn't gain new cells from the maze, or learning to climb on the piece of wood floating in water. It had to be constantly new, difficult problems. i'm lucky that my job provides that.

I eat a lot of organic vegetables and drink a lot of water.

And the other thing is all of this can't be done to try and be young. It is not a goal in itself. And you can't worry about your looks. It all has to be to contribute to the rest of your life. The rest of your life has to have a purpose, like service to mankind, enjoying working with people,
loving your job.

I do a lot of electrical work in retirement homes and I can see exactly how NOT to live. Everything is taken care of for those people. They don't make any effort; they don't exercise; they don't use their minds; and they don't have a purpose. You can see in their eyes that they want to have a purpose.

There has to be some struggle in life to keep us alive. It can be fun.

Edited by - Etherfish on Sep 23 2009 11:49:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  10:34:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Ether. Sounds very ingenuous. (I don't know if "ingenuous" is the exact right word, but perhaps yes. I mean it gives me a good feeling.)
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2009 :  05:11:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ether,
Thanks for this thread, I think it's a great one and full of good information. Both how to live and not to live.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

vijikr

United Arab Emirates
413 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  11:30:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste,

Ether I really enjoyed reading this thread regarding ageing. I remeber reading Dr.Deepak Chopra's Ageless body and Timeless Mind.
There also he says that each and every cell in our body actually regenerates itself every second and in every 7yrs the whole body is regenerates which means each and every cell in the body ie the whole body is NEW. But still we see ageing becaz its all in our mind and we are taught to think that way ie when we grow up we are to age(infact we can grow young not old).And it also true yoga and metiation and mind plays an important role in this.

A human can live more than what it is believed to be.

Love and Light
Viji

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  6:23:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well it's not all in our mind. The body ages no matter what. But the myths I would like to dispell are limitations people think are due to age that are imaginary.

People don't use their mind or body, then they notice they don't have the control they used to.
So they say "I'm too old to do that anymore." So they use it even less, and lose even more control. Then they say "See, I was right."

I wish someone would do a study comparing aging in very poor countries to more well off countries.
I bet you would find the poor people fare better as long as they are well nourished.
And the reason is that they have to try harder.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2009 :  01:07:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, it's been a month now, still doing bridges twice a day, emotions are still coming out! It's amazing that it goes on so long. They are coming out hard and fast like Shanti said. But instead of cutting down on the back bends to self pace, I keep them the same and workout heavier (very grounding stuff), eat heavy foods, drink beer, sleep more!

Kinda decadent way of handling it, huh?
My body seems to crave those foods, and a LOT of water; with the emotions come out toxins.
My digestion has improved greatly. I couldn't eat like that before without gaining weight.

It's funny, part of me craves light foods too, but my inner guru says no, can't handle it now.
I just get really hungry, and digest stuff really fast. It's weird.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2009 :  07:19:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

My body seems to crave those foods, and a LOT of water; with the emotions come out toxins.
My digestion has improved greatly. I couldn't eat like that before without gaining weight.

It's funny, part of me craves light foods too, but my inner guru says no, can't handle it now.
I just get really hungry, and digest stuff really fast. It's weird.

Yes, that seems the way to go Ether, listening to what your body is asking for. The problem I used to have would be, when the body stopped craving those heavier foods, I did not know how to listen to it, I would still continue eating them... that is when it becomes a bad habit/addiction. If we know how to listen to our body, it tells us what we need when we need it. The trick is to know when the craving is gone so we can stop. (Not saying this is what is happening to you, just what I have observed in myself).
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2009 :  08:39:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I have had that problem in the past but have mostly gotten over it. I like vegan food and am anxious to return to it. I am not a vegan, but like a mostly vegetable diet. I can feel the energy in organic vegetables that conventionally grown don't have.

I have searched the net about this and can't find any cases like mine so far.
There are plenty of accounts of people "crying on the yoga mat" but no cases of delayed reactions.

I never feel the emotions when I'm doing the bridge; it's all day long after that.
I can see how people might not recognize the cause. For instance, being angry because someone passes me while driving, or crying because a kid on TV gets an award for something. Things like that happen all day long, and I know that's not normal for me. I can stop it - if I start to cry in front of people at work I stop it - they are construction people and it wouldn't be appropriate.
But that doesn't usually happen.
Most of the time I can let it all get out. It's great! It's making me feel very healthy and younger. Doesn't make me look any better but who cares?!

Edited by - Etherfish on Oct 19 2009 08:44:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2009 :  3:28:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Most of the time I can let it all get out. It's great! It's making me feel very healthy and younger. Doesn't make me look any better but who cares?!

Go to Top of Page

Arjuna

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2009 :  8:27:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I do an Ashtanga yoga practice as per founder Patahbi K. Jois. There are several levels of practice, beginning with the "Primary series", then advancing to the "Intermediate Series". After that there are several super advanced routines reserved for the very experienced practitioner.

The primary series focus is all about forward bendings, which teach us humility. (Think of all forward bending as bowing).

The Intermediate series is all about backward bendings, and opening to expose our anterior. The secondary series is also called "Nadi Shodana" (nerve cleansing). We are taught that back bending teaches us bravery and courage (because we need courage to expose the anterior of our body, which reveals our vital organs to all).
Since the spinal column contains the bulk of our nervous system, the physical stimulation (twisting stretching) provided by the intermediate series opens the subtle channels that allow the prana to more readily flow.

I am currently practicing only the primary series, but should be progressing to the secondary series within a few months. Perhaps I will be able to share my direct experience with emotions and th esecondary series at a later date.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2009 :  9:52:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That would be great Arjuna. People store emotions in different places, so we are all different. But I think it is common to store them in the upper back, chest and shoulders. I think people get bent forward because of it. My friend, a psychologist says emotions are stored as a muscle tension.

So please post any experiences about this. Also be aware that the reactions can be delayed. If you do AYP meditation twice a day you should be aware of a general peace and stability emotionally as a normal state. So it is easy to recognize anything outside that norm, and emotions being released is easily recognizable. What is great is the robust health you get afterwords.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  5:49:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This stuff is so weird. I did more intensive backbends last night, and ate vegan to see what would happen. I figured it's been over a month, maybe it's about over. I woke up sick to my stomach. Skipped the morning backbends and ate heavy and felt fine in an hour.
It's just so hard to believe that backbends and emotions could have anything to do with spirituality.
I just thought this was a small practice slightly related to AYP but not very.
Now I am thinking that clearing out stored emotions is a big part of this "purification of
the nervous system", at least for me.
Go to Top of Page

Lacinato

USA
98 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  8:51:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lacinato's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting! Thanks for writing about your experiences.

What is "eating heavy" for you? I am just realizing now that what I consider eating heavy (lots of grains and beans; little fruit) may not what other people consider eating heavy. Six years of a vegan diet could explain my sensitivity to AYP Guess I should really watch for delayed reactions with backbends. Again, glad you brought this up.:)

(A little off topic, but still very much part of physical culture).

quote:

This stuff is so weird. I did more intensive backbends last night, and ate vegan to see what would happen. I figured it's been over a month, maybe it's about over. I woke up sick to my stomach. Skipped the morning backbends and ate heavy and felt fine in an hour.
It's just so hard to believe that backbends and emotions could have anything to do with spirituality.
I just thought this was a small practice slightly related to AYP but not very.
Now I am thinking that clearing out stored emotions is a big part of this "purification of
the nervous system", at least for me.

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2009 :  9:02:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Eating heavy" for me is steak and eggs, hashbrowns, toast, coffee.
"Eating light" for me is just salad, or veggies with no grains.
I don't do well on either diet alone, so I change a lot.
Go to Top of Page

wigswest

USA
115 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  10:46:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Another great way to do backbends, for the "rest of us" ;) , is with an exercise ball...delicious!! :)
Go to Top of Page

progressivethinker

India
6 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  11:42:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit progressivethinker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Many times, I feel that society contributes to the aging process. The young are conditioned right from childhood that when you grow old, you will naturally lose your faculties and become weak. I wonder what will happen if we start teaching children that there is no old age, that they can remain fit as fiddle throughout life? I am sure we will see some major changes then.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000