Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Siddhaaasana-Shud i be young?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wgamer

India
8 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2010 :  03:56:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit wgamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi. I am 37. I been practising some light asanas for a decade now although I always use a wooden seat for meditation because i have malformed ball and socket joint in my hip. I can sit crossed leg for half hour without discomfort though. I was wondering if anyone has started practising siddhasana at my age or nearer my age and have been succesful?

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2010 :  11:21:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi wgamer and welcome to the AYP forums

I'm not quite 30 myself (getting close now though) but I too have a malformed (well, perhaps not "malformed" but the way the ball and socket in my right hip fit together is probably similar to yours) hip joint and some postures are just not possible for me due to the bone on bone compression of my right hip. I am able to sit in full siddhasana if my left foot is lifted onto the right thigh, but the reverse is basically impossible for me. What is recommended for those who can not comfortably sit in siddhasana is to use a prop. In the lessons Yogani talks about using a rolled up sock or something similar to press into the perineum. I don't think that age is the defining factor in whether siddhasana will be comfortable, but the shape of the hip sockets and how much stress the knees can comfortably bear, will. I would suggest that if you are interested in the benefits of siddhasana, start with a prop first and work your way into putting the heel of one foot into the groin. If it isn't possible due to shape of your hip joints then you may need to continue to use a prop. But heel or no heel, you will still be getting the benefits of siddhasana.

Hope this helps.

Love.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2010 :  11:47:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi wgamer

Carson is absolutely right age is no barrier at all to siddhasana you can still get the full benefits sitting on a comfortable bed or a chair and using a ball or a rolled up sock to put a slight pleasant and comfortable pressure on the perineum.

In fact comfort is a major prerequisite to deep meditation if you are in any pain of discomfort this type of meditation will just not work properly so take it easy and enjoy
Go to Top of Page

JDas

USA
74 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  9:03:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit JDas's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by wgamer

Hi. I am 37. I been practising some light asanas for a decade now although I always use a wooden seat for meditation because i have malformed ball and socket joint in my hip. I can sit crossed leg for half hour without discomfort though. I was wondering if anyone has started practising siddhasana at my age or nearer my age and have been succesful?

yeah, dude, I'm over 50 and I can do it. So as these say, age has nothing to do w/it. In fact, I think age has nothing to do w/much in general. MO. I can do everything and maybe even more than when I was 30 or even younger maybe, but I forget that stuff.
Go to Top of Page

wgamer

India
8 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2010 :  04:03:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit wgamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi guys. thanks for the info.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000