Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Hand Positions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  10:45:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste Friends!

Lately I have become increasingly aware of the energy flows within the body, and during meditation and pranayam I have been experimenting with different hand positions to see what works best.

Here are my observations, would love to hear of yours.....

I have come to realize that a "closed" or "partially closed" mudra is best for me during Spinal Breathing Pranayama. Whether it is Gyan mudra, Dhyana Mudra, Anjali Mudra or any other "closed" mudra, I find that "closing the circuit" with the hands is more conducive to keeping the energy flow within the sushumna....almost like a bandha(lock) for the hands....Sitting in siddhasana seems to be like a lock for the energy flow out the feet, mulabandha for energy flow out the root, jalandhara for the energy flow out of the head, and a closed mudra with the hands to keep the energy flow from escaping out of the hands. I find closing all these "escape routes" during pranayam seems to "supercharge" my sessions.

What I have found for Deep Meditation is basically the exact opposite. I used to engage all the mudras and bandhas during DM, but I have relaxed on that. I only engage Kechari and Sambhavi during DM now. And what I have found to be the most effective hand mudra for DM is to completely open the hands, palms up on the thighs. This (for me) seems to completely open the crown chakra and I can feel the crown spinning as well as the minor chakras in the palms of each of the hands spinning. Doing this seems to make my body feel very light (as in weight). If I close my hands in Dhyana Mudra or another I seem to "close up" and "get heavy" again. I find it very easy with the palms (and subsequently the heart and crown) open to become the mantra and to move deep inside to that place of "complete-ness". Open like this I seem to feel completely "whole". It may just be me, but I thought I would share and see if anyone else has experimented with different hand positions for DM and SBP.

Lots of Love!

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Sep 17 2009 10:46:16 AM

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  2:55:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson,

Cool observations!!

These days I get the urge to put my hands palms up, left hand on my right palm, under the belly. I find this relaxes me.

......__......
.....(--).....
.___|.|___.
.\\........//.
..\\____//..
._\--=--/_.
<___=>__>

Love!

Edited by - Yonatan on Sep 17 2009 2:59:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

christiane

Lebanon
319 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  4:53:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit christiane's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi Carson

I have already asked about the hands positions in this topic:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=5611

I felt the same as you about the "closed circuit" in SBP.
I got interesting replies..

_/\_
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000