Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Confused about full yogic breath
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

markern

Norway
171 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  08:35:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit markern's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
In some descriptions of the full yogic breath they say start breathing in and expanding the lower belly then the chest and then realy high up in the chest so your shoulders pull back and actualy lift up a bit. Then start breathing out and contracting first the belly, then the chest. However, in other explanations people say to start with the belly then the chest and then start breathing out and contracting first in the bell and then the chest. This confuses me and I realy want to get this down. I am also confused if what is meant by the babys breath/the natural breat and dan tien breathing and belly breathing are also all the same or something different. Sometimes it seems to me what is meant by the later types are just breathing in and out with the belly with virtualy no chest expansion and dan tien breathing sometimes refered to as just belly breathing and sometimes breathing more in and out of the energetic dan tien center rather then just breathing from the general dan tien area without focus on energy. Can anyone clarify for me?

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  09:33:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You have the order confused for exhalation. When you are inhaling, you start by expanding the abdomen, then the chest and finally the clavicle area. For exhalation, it is simply reversed. First you feel your shoulders drop back down to normal position, then the chest deflates, and finally the abdomen. So it goes Inhalation --> Abdomen, chest, clavicle. Exhalation --> Clavicle, chest, abdomen. Hope this helps. As for all the other "types" of breathing, I think you are just allowing yourself to become confused with different terminologies. Just stick with what you plan on actually practicing and try to ignore everything else.
Go to Top of Page

markern

Norway
171 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  1:41:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit markern's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The problem is people explicitly teach the opposite of what you just said, AND exactly what you said. That is why I want as much opinion as possible and preferably explanations of why one way and not the other as well.
Go to Top of Page

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  3:29:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Honestly, I don't see how it is possible to perform it any other way. When you are exhaling, you cannot exhale from the bottom of the lungs to the top, you have to exhale the air at the top of the lungs first in order to reach the bottom. It's like trying to drink a bottle of water from the bottom up..you can't do it. (Well, I guess you could use a straw..but you get my point. lol)

The point of the yogic breath is to fill the lungs with as much air as possible, so when you are inhaling abominably, you are forcing air into the very bottom of the lungs. Abdominal breathing is the only way to fill the lungs at the very bottom. So since you are filling the lungs from bottom to top, you must expel the air from top to bottom, because you cannot remove the air at the bottom without first pushing out the air at the top. Make sense?
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  12:49:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi....

A full yogic breath

hmmmmmm

Pranayam(can't spell it )

Inhalation from one nostril slowly and completely....while the other is gently pressed shut and exhalation through the other while the previous one is shut...makes a complete breath when performed on both nostrils....

It is true both primary and secondary lungs are filled.......

But with breath inhaltion the Diapharm thingy naturally does its thing

It is natural....

A full yogic breath intensity increases with practice, patience, a clear mind and time....

Whew never thought a breath could be this controversial!

After about 3 months of this I was able to see the Shiva light in the crown.....
Go to Top of Page

Clear White Light

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  10:24:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Neesha,

What you are describing is called Nadi Shodhanna. It is not quite the same thing as the full yogic breath.
Go to Top of Page

Neesha

215 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2009 :  12:12:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
It is not quite the same thing as the full yogic breath.

Hi,

Thanks

Sooooo what is a full yogic breadth?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000