Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 I AM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

littlejerry

USA
60 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  08:13:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit littlejerry's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
so i already posted this once... i cant find it anywhere on the forum...

In the introduction of the translation of THE I CHING I own it says to focus on the breath... doesnt require "practice/ritual" just do it during the day at work at home while driving. Since AYP suggest to start with the I AM thing... idk ... should or could i just start saying I AM during the day... when needed of course or when thoughts arent "gathered" The breath is working well... i meditated this morning and was "I AM"ing lots of noises in the body. I took as a good thing... obstructions i guess? possibly opening up?

So yes... "I AM" during the day?

Sorry if this is the 2nd post your seeing on this...

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  08:29:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Littlejerry,
Your first topic is over here:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=6318

No worries tho. I know it can be a bit confusing in the beginning.

Welcome to AYP.

We do not repeat "i am" through the day. That is definitely not recommended. Use "i am" for the 20 min twice a day during deep meditation only.

During the day, we recommend going out and living your life. If you do want to practice something in between, watching your breath may be an option.

Deep meditation is a very powerful practice and it suggested you get stable with it, before you start mixing practices (like watching your breath thru the day). It may result in too much uncomfortable purification.

Wish you all the best in your chosen path.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  10:34:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi littlejerry and as Shanti said, Welcome to the AYP Forum!

If you are looking for a practice that can be done during the day (assuming that you are keeping up with your twice daily Deep Meditation practices) I would recommend using the Buddhist "Mindfullness" technique. Often this is used as a meditation in and of itself, but personally I find it much more effective to use AYP DM for meditation and mindfulness during the day. In case you aren't familiar with the practice, it could bascially be explained as watching your thoughts all day long....noticing your thoughts, perhaps noticing the bodily effects your thoughts are having on you, and then releasing those thoughts back into Silence. Being "mindfully aware". This isn't really "mindfulness" (as taught by Theraveda Buudhists) but I find it similar and very effective at helping one see the effects of their thoughts and over time begin to have less thought as well as less identification with thought. BUT, this practice isn't very effective if it isn't combined with a daily Deep Meditation practice. At least that is my experience. Hope this helps a little.

Love,
Carson

P.S. It might be helpful to read through Shanti's post here as well: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=3489

Edited by - CarsonZi on Sep 11 2009 10:36:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

littlejerry

USA
60 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  3:19:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit littlejerry's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
lol uncomfortable purification ... you can say that but it was comfortable at the same time knowing i was "purifying" hummmm haha constipated... sat on the toilet for 30 minutes or so... ate some prunes the next few days and whatever else helps bowel movements and now am almost to "normal"

in a 48 hour period only slept 6 maybe 7 hours... got on the internet looked up "natural sleep remedies" i think it was about.com but anyway the Chinese way of helping was to eat kidney beans and all this other stuff... because apparently i had an insufficent yin kidney something or another... so did that and got some sleep the next night... i'm still catching up a bit taking a nap during the day and getting about 8 hours of sleep a night. But yea.... just focusing on my breath the first 2 weeks of this journey definitely did some purifying so "I AM" meditation is what i will practice.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000