The Awareness Watching Awareness Method
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  2:41:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i am sorry but again i feel like reminding the people who are reading this topic; that ayp is the best basis for practice there is IMHO and then you can try on to integrate any new practice you feel attracted to undertake.

all i know for certain and based on my experience is that AYP works, the AWA is smthg which is still under experimentation but it definitely is a good practice which brings forth a great habit.

namaste
Go to Top of Page

alwayson2

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  2:55:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Keep in mind:

The original AWA, Langford was taught in India did not have a sitting practice.

If I remember the book, he was already doing a sitting practice which was going nowhere, and then later some guy in India explained "I AM" to him, which he then practiced while sitting

Edited by - alwayson2 on Sep 06 2009 3:02:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  3:03:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
the practice kind of came as an insight for Michael, and it was practiced both ways in India while sitting and while out in action.

and honestly put it's more practical to practice it while in activity, the main thing which is needed is vigilance...

i already quoted Sri Nisargadatta, here's the quote again:

quote:
Go deep into the sense of 'I am'

and you will find.

How do you find a thing

you have mislaid or forgotten?

You keep it in your mind

until you recall it.

The sense of being,

of 'I am' is the first to emerge.

Ask yourself whence it comes,

or just watch it quietly.

When the mind stays in the 'I am',

without moving,

you enter a state which cannot be verbalized

but can be experienced.

All you need to do is to try and try again."

-Nisargadatta Maharaj from I AM THAT

Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  3:06:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
we cross posted again, and i have to go now i wish that didn't happen all the time.

he discovered the practice alone and had affirmations from a guru in the lineage of Sri Ramana...

btw Sri Ramana didn't care about all that lineage stuff...

tc bro
Go to Top of Page

alwayson2

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  3:21:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No way did he discover this practice alone. Did you even read his book "THE MOST DIRECT MEANS TO ETERNAL BLISS"?

The whole AWA was dumbed down for him by a teacher in India so he could understand.

Edited by - alwayson2 on Sep 07 2009 5:03:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  4:09:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by alwayson2

Just reading my method won't do anything. You have to actually do it.

That insight is important...not the method. There is zero insight from just reading my post on an internet forum. Thats why people think it is some sort of mindfulness exercise, when its not.

IMO, what I have outlined is the quickest path to what they call self-realization in neo-Advaita/neo-Zen

This is my method not Dzogchen point of view. I am not a Dzogchen practitioner.

If it is a great practice, then it will becomes people's main practice shortly. But before people take it up, they will look to you for signs of realization.
Go to Top of Page

AnEternalNow

Singapore
9 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  5:06:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit AnEternalNow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The AWA method is certainly a powerful way to true spiritual experience. There is a problem with it however, nevertheless I'm not discouraging it's practice up till certain phase. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQMhKJ_nPMk
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  5:21:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent video AnEternalNow, thank you
And welcome to the forum.
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  6:04:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Alwayson, Bottom line is that your use of "relevance" doesn't fit. What's not relevant to the present moment? What is? Relevance has to do with proving a point using logic. If you take "present moment," as the point, we all experience the present moment. There is nothing to establish. Perhaps if you refined your formulation.
Go to Top of Page

alwayson2

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  7:17:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My method works only by doing, not by analyzing it on the internet.

Edited by - alwayson2 on Sep 06 2009 8:31:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  03:33:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by alwayson2

No way did he discover this practice alone. Did you even read his book "THE MOST DIRECT MEANS TO ETERNAL BLISS"?

The whole AWA was dumbed down for him so he could understand.

brother alwayson, yes i've read the book.

and i suggest you read my first post in which i opened up this topic with.

it's written by Michael himself...

and the practice existed b4 him, no one is saying otherwise he simply gave it more pub and made it clearer and simpler...

namaste
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  03:49:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by AnEternalNow

The AWA method is certainly a powerful way to true spiritual experience. There is a problem with it however, nevertheless I'm not discouraging it's practice up till certain phase. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQMhKJ_nPMk

hi AnEternalNow and welcome to the forums,

i haven't seen the vid yet it requires some time to be downloaded or streamed on my laptop the connection over here is pretty bad you may say so will see it when it's done.

and you seem to have one hell of a great blog; it's really nice of you to chime in with us.

namaste brother
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  04:19:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
wow that video was a blast...

in gratitude
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  05:18:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi AnEternalNow

Welcome to the forum

I am at work and do not have sound on my computer here, so will have to wait until this evening before I can hear the video......(it'll be a good exercise in staying calm and watching the inner "wanting" )

But anyway - what came up here regarding what you called
There is a problem with it however, nevertheless I'm not discouraging it's practice up till certain phase.
was that .....over the years as the process unfolded here.....whatever happened outside sitting meditation......I was never aware that it was also a "practice". Not until maybe about two years ago....did it ever occur here that awareness was "practising itself" all the time. And all the years this "not being aware of this" went on.....was always a blessing....because this way...whatever unfolded unfolded spontaneously....and the witnessing was never "known" to be meddled with. That is why there is so much.....respect here...for Deep Meditation......so much gratefulness....

When the witnessing became more evident....then "looking at awareness" became conscious (I didn't know it had a name...I have just called it "looking at the Shine"). But - looking at the Shine and being the Shine is not the same. At some point the looking at the Shine had to go. Or else it is not total relaxation (and it is when I am not relaxed that suffering happens...it is always like this here anyway).

Your post coincide so beautifully with a recent issue that had to be....understood here. This issue too implied "looking at love"...and vasanas arose.....I got hooked in them. But the blessing is that it made it very clear here that nothing....absolutely nothing.....is anything but it (the Shine/Love/Awareness). Everything - absolutely everything - has to be let go of...and then one sees that all has always been well. Despite all the thoughts, emotions and sensations that allure one into contractions and non-relaxation....where the seeing becomes clouded. The vasanas...when they come.....are always intense.......so it is such a blessing to remember (for whatever may come next of issues) that no matter what......the awareness is always "practising itself beautifully"......no matter how I may fool myself to the contrary. It will make it easier to stay calm next time. And calmess is all....it is the crux of the matter.

So.....when letting go of looking at that which I love the most...whether in the space, in the chair or in another human being...then total relaxation happens here. And bliss is all there is.....for no reason....and no practise...at all

Anyway.....I have noe idea if this is the problem you speak of....but your comment reminded me of this....aspect of the journey.

So thank you so much

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  06:09:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Aneternalnow,

quote:

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the video link, it was enjoyed here very much. I am not sure though that Vishrant's critisism of the AWA method is especially relevant. After all, pretty much any spiritual practice can be used as a way of avoiding pain if one chooses to.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  08:43:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello again AnEternalNow, just wanna say that the vid is great and what the man said about loving acceptance is beautiful... but IMHO this isn't the best way for surrender there is another one which we have here on this website and it involves a practice named samyama.

the guy is telling people to suffer and deal with it and not do anything about it but accept in order for the mind to surrender...

well for someone who advices people on ending suffering, don't you think that this advice is a bit filled with suffering.

why not let go of the whole thing into stillness like using the practice of samyama: http://www.aypsite.org/150.html

practicing the habit of samyama brings out good results, we practice it here to help others as well and we could practice loving acceptance on whatever silence feeds the whole thing and go on a joyful path opposite to that of the ego which includes suffering in order to heal or surrender...

thank you brother AnEternalNow, you have given me a great insight and it's that i should practice loving acceptance and appreciate the gift of the best tested tools in yoga there is IMHO "the advanced yoga practices on this site."

from now on i should shut my mouth about looking or introducing new practices; go practice and help when can or come back when i have smthg really good or beneficial.

end of search

namaste
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  09:01:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing Ananda

I really must see that video tonight
Go to Top of Page

AnEternalNow

Singapore
9 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  11:18:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit AnEternalNow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the replies, sharing and links :)

Methods such as AWA and self inquiry, I have personally found it useful to arise the first glimpse of pure awareness. For many the first glimpse comes through a process of inquiry or practicing, letting go of all attachments and identifications to any finite objects.

For example we usually think that we are our body, or we think that we are our mind/thoughts/images/concepts of who we are (i.e. our personality), or we think that we are some entity located inside our head or chest or somewhere in the body.

The process of self inquiry and the AWA method allows us to drop all identifications and turn the light around, to discover the innermost consciousness, that pure center of being and existence that never moves or ceases and is prior to all forms.

Even though this is an important insight and paves the way to the unfolding of various insights of our nature, however as Vishrant said, this is only the first day in kindergarten, that glimpse alone is far from the end of the journey. However, practicing AWA repeatedly many hours a day alone will not lead to a deeper realisation of non-duality. Practicing AWA for prolonged periods everyday will lead to the ability to remain in absorption in pure consciousness, until one is able to sustain this absorption in our life and be able to enter into total samadhi at a moment's will (not all so called "enlightened persons" are able to achieve this, I believe people like Michael Langford or Ramana Maharshi are clearly there since they are known to be able to enter absorptions for prolonged periods at will. In other words having more insights does not equate to strength of absorption, but the strength of absorption does not necessarily mean the depth of insight)

However, to give rise to a more profound realisation of consciousness, that is to understand the non-dual nature of awareness, one must give rise to deeper insights. It includes how there never was subject and object divisions, a division between the witness and the witnessed, seer and seen. It may be experienced that the true Ultimate Subject, Witness, as behind all experiences, but it is not seen how the Witness isn't separate from the flow of phenomenality.

The insight gained through AWA or Self Inquiry usually pertains to the objectless, formless state of pure awareness. That means there is a deep realisation of one's nature as pure consciousness, but only pertaining to the objectless realm. (But I'm not saying practitioners of AWA or Self Inquiry only experience objectless consciousness, but that the method itself will only bring one this far, though Ramana Maharshi was also very clear about non-dual experience as shown in various statements/explanations e.g. Brahman is the World) At this phase one still is not able to experience, or see consciousness in all senses, as all experiences. The method described by Vishrant (but also many others) -- being tenderly OK with all appearances, letting the ego die in this, is the means to give rise to non-dual experience.

This means instead of dissociating, one experiences that there is no one experiencing those experiences -- rather all appearances are simply the dynamic manifestations of Consciousness itself, and there is totally no distance -- no distance between you and the scenery, you and the pain, you and the sound -- there is no subject object divisions, just Suchness of the music, the sensation, the scene. No seer, scenery sees. No hearer, sound hears. Consciousness is not a behind Witness, rather it is manifestation AS all appearances. There is no attempt to sink back to a background space, a center, a witness, because it is realised the non-dual witnessing is simply Wholeness and Totality itself, awareness is pervading and is not other than the universe. Since everything is equally Awareness, there is no choosing, there is no dissociating from anything to abide in a purest state, for what manifests is already IT, all manifestation is the Source.

As an analogy given by my friend 'Thusness':
quote:

The first stage of experiencing awareness face to face is like a point on a sphere which you called it the center. You marked it.

Then later you realised that when you marked other points on the surface of a sphere, they have the same characteristics. This is the initial experience of non-dual. (but due to our dualistic momentum, there is still no clarity even if there is the experience non-duality)

Ken Wilber: While you are resting in that state (of the Witness), and “sensing” this Witness as a great expanse, if you then look at, say, a mountain, you might begin to notice that the sensation of the Witness and the sensation of the mountain are the same sensation. When you “feel” your pure Self and you “feel” the mountain, they are absolutely the same feeling.

When you are asked to find another point on the surface of the sphere, you won't be sure but you are still very careful.

Once the insight of No-Self is stabilized, you just freely point to any point on the surface of the sphere -- all points are a center, hence there is no 'the' center. 'The' center does not exist: all points are a center.

When you say 'the center', you are marking a point and claim that it is the only point that has the characteristic of a 'center'. The intensity of the pure beingness is itself a manifestation. It is needless to divide into inner and outer as there will also come a point where high intensity of clarity will be experienced for all sensations. So not to let the 'intensity' create the layering of inner and outer.

Now when we do not know what is a sphere, we do not know that all the points are the same. So when a person first experiences non-duality with the propensities still in action, we cannot fully experience the mind/body dissolution and the experience isn't clear. Nevertheless we are still careful of our experience and we try to be non-dual.

But when the realisation is clear and sank deep into our inmost consciousness, it is really effortless. Not because it is a routine but because there is nothing need be done, just allowing expanse of consciousness naturally.

He has also written the stages of experience he has gone through in the article, and so far I have described the difference between Phase 1 and 4. http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot....erience.html (Thusness/PasserBy's Seven Stages of Experience on Spiritual Enlightenment)

I discovered this site after some people came to my blog and was recorded in my site statistics. I have also conversed with alwayson over a year ago in another forum.

Edited by - AnEternalNow on Sep 07 2009 12:26:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  12:30:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome post AnEternalNow. Are you Xabir from taobums?

I agree with most of what you say, except "...but that the method itself will only bring one this far." That isn't true at all.

In the method, people aren't sinking back into a void, in an objectless realm. I know many beginners view it that way, but it's not the case. For those who actually practice this, there are perceptual shifts that occur, which enable one to get past this "stage".
Go to Top of Page

alwayson2

USA
546 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  1:21:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit alwayson2's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by AnEternalNow
I have also conversed with alwayson over a year ago in another forum.

Oh that was you!

I don't believe in any stages anymore. I don't think I did back then either, except you were so insistent on fitting stuff to Thusness's model... if you remember.

Thusness's stages are invalid, IMO

Edited by - alwayson2 on Sep 07 2009 1:43:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  1:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
brother alwayson, it saddens me that you get into so much arguments about "Love."

all roads lead to God if the fire in the heart is true...

Sri Ramakrishna: if the heart of the sadhaka is true and his approach is sincere, than even if there is a wrong in his approach (path or religion) God himself will interfere to correct what's wrong and attract the sadhaka towards him.

this isn't the exact quote, but as close to the original as my memory can get.

namaste brother
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  4:44:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Aneternalnow,

Beautiful post... thanks for sharing.

quote:
Even though this is an important insight and paves the way to the unfolding of various insights of our nature, however as Vishrant said, this is only the first day in kindergarten, that glimpse alone is far from the end of the journey. However, practicing AWA repeatedly many hours a day alone will not lead to a deeper realisation of non-duality. Practicing AWA for prolonged periods everyday will lead to the ability to remain in absorption in pure consciousness, until one is able to sustain this absorption in our life and be able to enter into total samadhi at a moment's will (not all so called "enlightened persons" are able to achieve this, I believe people like Michael Langford or Ramana Maharshi are clearly there since they are known to be able to enter absorptions for prolonged periods at will. In other words having more insights does not equate to strength of absorption, but the strength of absorption does not necessarily mean the depth of insight)

This reminds me of something that the Buddha once said. It went something like this:

"For enlightenment, it is important to be able to enter samadhi at will and to be able to move in one's consciousness through all the levels of absorption from the lowest to the highest and from the highest to the lowest, so that one can then realize, that is not it either."

The practice that Vishrant teaches is, as you say, a very good practice for moving from the Witness stage to Oneness. Does he also teach practices to help people come to the realization of the Witness stage, and if so, which ones?

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  5:01:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi AnEternalNow

..just been watching the video.....thank you so much...
This guy......I am really, really touched by him....

Like:
.....to be tenderly ok with whatever is appearing inside of you

and that little word..."tenderly"......it is such a key....yet the openness required in order for the compassion to pull the mind into itself.....the openness required is non-ending.....so the pain inside.....the piercing that has been here so many times around.....it is in it that I am.....

May I never become distracted again when in pain....

I cry a lot these days.....not for long periods of time....but often.
And...in this dying to...some kind of protection....it is as you say...it is the sound itself that hears. It is the crying that cries..

quote:
This means instead of dissociating, one experiences that there is no one experiencing those experiences -- rather all appearances are simply the dynamic manifestations of Consciousness itself, and there is totally no distance -- no distance between you and the scenery, you and the pain, you and the sound -- there is no subject object divisions, just Suchness of the music, the sensation, the scene. No seer, scenery sees. No hearer, sound hears. Consciousness is not a behind Witness, rather it is manifestation AS all appearances. There is no attempt to sink back to a background space, a center, a witness, because it is realised the non-dual witnessing is simply Wholeness and Totality itself, awareness is pervading and is not other than the universe. Since everything is equally Awareness, there is no choosing, there is no dissociating from anything to abide in a purest state, for what manifests is already IT, all manifestation is the Source.

Your word is a true gift here......the seeing of the shine in objects and in space have been consistent for a while....but the seeing of the shine in the pain and in the thought, in the crying and in the sensitivity....this is so much more subtle....and I have not...tasted it.....not truly seen it....until now. The emptiness within pain.....the space within the vulnerability....

I am very grateful....
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  6:24:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I really like what Vishrant says in his video. I agree with it.

_/\_
Go to Top of Page

AnEternalNow

Singapore
9 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  01:06:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit AnEternalNow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Scott

Awesome post AnEternalNow. Are you Xabir from taobums?

Yes. What is your name in TaoBums?
quote:

I agree with most of what you say, except "...but that the method itself will only bring one this far." That isn't true at all.

In the method, people aren't sinking back into a void, in an objectless realm. I know many beginners view it that way, but it's not the case. For those who actually practice this, there are perceptual shifts that occur, which enable one to get past this "stage".
Depends. Most people uses neti neti and self inquiry to dissociate from all manifestations to experience/become the purest objectless consciousness.

Edited by - AnEternalNow on Sep 08 2009 01:38:15 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000