Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Mantra Substitution in DM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

newtoayp

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  4:14:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit newtoayp's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste to All,

I am a newbie to AYP and apologies if this question was already touched upon. I ask here as a search didn't seem to find a similar one :)

My primary practice is kriya yoga of guru lahiri and I plan to stick to that for now. However it is DM that really interests me. In my kriya lineage, we are also initiated into a mantra, of baalaa and asked to recite that. I normally use a mala and recite the mantra mentally. This seems similar to DM, there are differences:

1. I use a rosary to count and keep track - Is this a distraction in terms of the philosophy of DM? I see this as the initial stages of anapanasati where ganana or counting is used but eventually dropped after mind is sufficiently quietened. I am not stating that DM and anapanasati are same but would really like to know how my rosary counting relates to DM. That apart, I don't focus on anything except recite the mantra mentally.

2. More importantly, as I have invested several months of this mantra, would it be ok to use DM after replacing the mantra? In other words, does anyone practice DM with their own or other well-known bija and tantric mantras instead of yogani's formation?

sarve janaa sukhino bhavantu

Edited by - newtoayp on Jul 30 2009 8:49:59 PM

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  10:28:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Newtoayp!

Thank you for writing and sharing. Happy to hear you are finding the AYP writings informative.

1. AYP deep meditation involves flexible repetition of mantra that will change in both rhythm and clarity. This permits the mantra to serve as a vehicle for attention to move repeatedly beyond thinking to stillness. Therefore, counting mantra repetitions with rosary/mala or any other means is not part of this style of meditation. It can restrict the natural flow of the mantra. And, at times, there will be nothing to count during periods of absorption in silence, and that is good practice. This is why we go by the clock rather than the count for a consistent period of purification and opening. Here is a lesson that discusses mala further: http://www.aypsite.org/86.html

2. Mantra is your choice, and it is not for me to say whether you should stick with a mantra from another system or switch to I AM (AYAM). Whichever works best for you. As you might imagine, it is difficult to predict the results of using a mantra from one system in another system's meditation procedure. It would be your research.
Also, looking downstream, there are some enhancements to mantra in AYP that can have a bearing on what you are starting out with. So maybe take a look at "enhancements" under "mantra" in the topic index: http://www.aypsite.org/TopicIndex.html
There is also an additional small enhancement in the AYP Easy Lessons book.

Wishing you all the best on your path. Enjoy!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

newtoayp

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  12:41:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit newtoayp's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A reply cannot get clearer than this and your clarity inspires me to pursue my yoga practice with renewed vigor. Yogani, you are awesome :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000