AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Deep Meditation and Samadhi
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SeanG

6 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  4:27:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit SeanG's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
How does "Samadhi"(Super Consciousness) come about from doing Deep Meditation as taught by AYP?

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  10:46:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sean,

As far as I know, each stage of yoga has its own, how shall I call it... mini samadhi? AYP's position on Samadhi is made clear in Lesson 248 - http://www.aypsite.org/248.html

And to quote a few lines from there:

Having said that, there are certain traditions that rely on determining the level of samadhi one is experiencing to decide which style of meditation to do. For them, this is very important, and it is to be respected. In AYP we use one style of meditation that covers the full scope of mind from the surface to the silent depths, so making all the samadhi distinctions is not necessary for effective practice. They are "under the hood" as we drive the car of our nervous system along with the easy-to-use meditation controls. It is just the same as chakras, which have been discussed as being "under the hood" in the early lessons (see #47). When we have a simple, effective practice, delving too much into the inner workings can be a distraction.

Your question lead me to read this up again.
Go to Top of Page

SeanG

6 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2007 :  11:29:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit SeanG's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sadhak, thank you very much for your reply. I will go read the entire lesson. Now that i look at my question again, i guess i kinda worded it wrong.

I shouldve ask, are the types of Samadhi spoken of in Yoga Sutras of Patanjali achievable from practicing Deep Meditation as taught in AYP

Thanks
Sean
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  11:50:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sean,

I am disappointed at the lack of responses to your query here. It has been spoken of before that Patanjali's Yoga Sutra definition of samadhi is different to AYP, including samyama. In AYP, inner silence or pure bliss consciousness is like a bedrock, if you will, of the practice and this seems to have nothing to do with penetrating the spiritual eye, which according to lots of yogis, is the only way to experience the higher levels of samadhi.

Who is right? I don't know but i can predict that this issue of "scenery" will come up again and again.
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  4:53:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
I experience samadhi at almost every occasion I meditate and rather than scenery there is simply nothing.It's like being in a comatose state and having no awareness of anything at all.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

seekingthelight

Australia
21 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  9:21:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit seekingthelight's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dave,

Is the state you describe a type of samadhi?
In most of my meditations, and also in my float tank (aka isolation or sensory deprivation tank) sessions I drop into a state where there is nothing, and it's almost as if I'm asleep and just nothing happens. But it's not as if I'm experiencing the nothing-ness, because there is no perspective for me to experience it from. It's like "life" is paused. No observer, and nothing to be observed.
When I come out of this state, I feel as though I have just slept for however long, but there's a sense that I wasn't quite asleep, I just lost all senses and perspective for a while.

Does that qualify as a type of samadhi? Something else?
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  5:50:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Seeking the Light,
Yes that is samadhi, there are are different levels or types of samadhi and this is the expereince I have during most meditations.I even fall into this state at work when others are talking and can feel my brain closing down.LOL.I obviously don't want to be at work during these times so manybe its time I retired or won the lottery.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  7:56:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by riptiz

Hi Seeking the Light,
Yes that is samadhi, there are are different levels or types of samadhi and this is the expereince I have during most meditations.

Hi Riptiz, Seeking The Light, Gumpi & All,

It's all a lot simpler and less mysterious than many people think.

Samadhi just means absorption; the "primal unity" of natural/original awareness, independent of the "ocean of thinking" most of us --- pre-yoga, at least -- conceive ourselves to be living in, and even conceive ourselves to *be". <-- "I am who I think I am."

In AYP, we call it inner silence.

There comes a point, after a certain amount of practice, usually - where there's enough silence, that instead of "you" experiencing silent awareness ... the silence is experienced as the pervasive field of awareness you *are* ... and "your" sense of self, any perceiving, and any object of perception --- presumably/likely the mantra, in the case of AYP ... are seen as equivalently "homogenous" objects arising in the field of silent awareness that you are.

This is known as savikalpa/samprajnata samadhi.

Subsequently (and this seems to be what's being discussed here) ... *all* objects ... including the objects in awareness called thoughts-of-self/sense-of-self ... which we usually conceive of as the *subject* {aka *me*} .... *disappear*.

And there is only the silent, infinite experiencing field of awareness.

If this is experienced in/as awareness, it is called nirvikalpa/asamprajnata samadhi.

If it is experienced unconsciously, it is called sleep.

There's a reason samadhi usually progresses this way:

The "I am who I think I am" me-thought has been conditioned to *only* notice objects in awareness/consciousness ... thoughts of self, thoughts of perceiving; thoughts of perceived objects.

Meditation initiates the experience of inner silence .... object-*free* awareness.

Usually, the only pre-samadhi state of consciousness we experience *is* sleep .... which, per its lack of objects, is experienced (apparently) *unconsciously*.

Nirvikalpa Samadhi basically *is* (or could be called) "waking sleep" - which many of us experience while "sleeping at night" - though unconscious sleep still occurs, too .... it's a vacillation of the body-mind thing ... "no loss of consciousness" in experiencing is, as far as I know, a myth. Certain teachings say advanced yogis experience this; I've never known any .... realization isn't a "special states" thing; it's a knowing-living thing.

Spontaneous, waking samadhi is known as Sahaja Samadhi ... which is simply knowing oneself *as* the clear awareness, *and* the stuff appearing in it ... yet still functioning/experiencing functioning in "regular human life".

Experiencing of form and the focus of objectivity still happen, of course ... but the artificial focus of the limited me-thought artificially constricting-focusing in an unnatural direction, in an unnatural way "faux inward" .... are clearly "missing inaction".

It's *all* just consciousness.

Yogically, scientifically, whatever-ically.

Whether electrical signals in the brain .... or the power of Shiva-consciousness .... your sense of "me" ... the words on this screen ... your computer ... are all equally ... in experiencing (not "your *thinking*" - your true experiencing; awareness) ... consciousness only.

The flow of samadhi(s) ... just boils down to dropping the artificial, conditioned distinctions of subject-object duality, and the me-thought it makes .... and relaxing into the ocean of bliss we each and all are ever emanating as .... infinitely here ... eternally now.

It's all a lot more real .... and a lot less complicated, and a lot more actually possible .... than the thinking me wants to think it is.

I hope this helps.

Heart Is Where The AUM Is,

Kirtanman

Edited by - Kirtanman on Jul 30 2009 9:32:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

samara

Iceland
31 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2009 :  12:56:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit samara's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
On a couple of occasions, after meditating more than usual at a seminar, I did experience being aware after my body had fallen asleep. I didnĀ“t notice until body started snoring, then of course I came out of this state. I though I was still awake. I know, us girls are not supposed to snore. Obviously I do, or should I say, my body does. I now know that for a fact.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000