Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 mantra meditation and kundalini
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  05:57:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I Am meditation is basically the same as transcendental meditation. My question is, can this meditation raise the kundalini or cause kundalini symptoms? I have tried looking on the internet for links between TM and kundalini and i cannot find much.

Also, TM is not a one-pointed concentration practice. It is more about effortless concentration. You lose the mantra and come back to it. This is different to trying to focus on the mantra exclusively. As i understand it though, by being gentle with the mind and not forcing it, gradually one pointed concentration can be achieved.

I am struck by the lack of information on the internet about this type of mantra meditation and its relationship to kundalini.

Edited by - gumpi on Jul 14 2009 06:10:55 AM

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  09:49:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  10:11:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The first part of my previous post has somehow been copied from something else i wrote elsewhere. I don't know how it got in here but i cannot edit it.
Go to Top of Page

AYPmod

53 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  12:16:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Can you tell us what you mean by "you cannot edit it?"

Here is the FAQ on editing/deleting post:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/faq.asp#edit
quote:
You may edit or delete your own posts at any time. Just go to the topic where the post to be edited or deleted is located and you will see an edit or delete icon (Edit/Delete) on the line that begins "posted on..." Click on this icon to edit or delete the post. No one else can edit your post, except for the forum Moderator or the forum Administrator. A note is generated at the bottom of each edited post displaying when and by whom the post was edited.

Click on the "paper, pencil" icon on the top where it says "posted on:"

Let us know if this works, if not we can look into this. You can tell us the part that needs editing and we could do it. However, as long as you are trying to edit a post within 14 days, you should be able to edit your own post.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  10:02:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There is no paper and pencil icon on my screen. I do not know why.
Go to Top of Page

AYPmod

53 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  12:07:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gumpi,
You need to be logged in, in order to have access to the edit icon. You can submit a new post without logging in, however, edits and deletes can only be done if you are logged in
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  08:11:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by gumpi

I Am meditation is basically the same as transcendental meditation. My question is, can this meditation raise the kundalini or cause kundalini symptoms? I have tried looking on the internet for links between TM and kundalini and i cannot find much.

Also, TM is not a one-pointed concentration practice. It is more about effortless concentration. You lose the mantra and come back to it. This is different to trying to focus on the mantra exclusively. As i understand it though, by being gentle with the mind and not forcing it, gradually one pointed concentration can be achieved.

I am struck by the lack of information on the internet about this type of mantra meditation and its relationship to kundalini.

Yes, I AM meditation can raise the kundalini. The reason it is hard to find the causal information on the net is that it is not a direct cause of the meditation, and it is not quick or easy. Therefore you could not prove scientifically that meditation is the cause. Science doesn't even recognize life force yet, which is kundalini.
The reason there is not a one-to-one causal relationship between mantra meditation and kundalini rising is that it is a process that involves other things like bhakti (desire, devotion), quieting of lifestyle (foods, drugs, sexual practices can block it), and time in conjunction with perseverance (meditating twice a day, every day for a long time).
You are correct about it not being one-pointed concentration. That is a popular misconception of what meditation is.
So a lot of information about the connection is found by searching here, but it's not a quick and easy one-to-one causal relationship. That is why it is hard to find on the net. You would have to search for kundalini (and to make things worse, that is only one name of many), then investigate the whole lifestyle of the person reporting it. Then you will find devotion or aspiration of some kind, and quieting of some kind, and regular practice of some kind.

Edited by - Etherfish on Jul 14 2009 08:13:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  12:06:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In that case i think it would be revelent to analyse why so many people on this website claim to have kundalini activity and find out if it really is kundalini. Kundalini symptoms are a broad range and i doubt all of them are kundalini.

Also, i don't see what devotion has got to do with it. Which circles back to the debate about having expectations.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000