Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Kechari: auto-snippage...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

grihastha

USA
184 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  12:46:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit grihastha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Something interesting happened today. I had just begun my morning practice, and after a few breaths of SB I had the urge to roll back my tongue. Background: I'd been going a bit nuts a couple of weeks ago trying to get into stage 2. It was really urgent, for some reason, and I spent a lot of time gagging and making ghastly faces, trying to get back there. I even had a pair of snippers in my hand at one point in the pharmacy, but they were a bit pricy... So I kept on stretching and straining - and gagging. Result: tantalizingly close, and some tiny abrasions on my frenum, just sore enough to make me stop trying.

So today, having not really thought about kechari for at least two weeks, I really stretched my tongue hard towards the back of my throat. There was the sensation of a pop, and something gave under my tongue. I went to the mirror and sure enough, there's a gash about 3/16ths of an inch near the middle of the frenum. Much more decisive than I would have dared do with a sharp object! Frenum was a bit sore, and there was quite a lot of blood, but after gargling with some salt water it all settled down.

Anyone else had this auto-snippage, and if so, did it keep happening?

Edited by - grihastha on Jul 10 2009 1:35:18 PM

Parallax

USA
348 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  1:22:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Grihastha,

I got to Kechari-2 almost entirely my pushing my tongue back like you are doing (i think I made 1, maybe 2, inconsequential snips). But I found that after some of my "more aggressive" stretching sessions, I would taste a bit of blood and sure enough, a look in the mirror would confirm a small tear in the frenum and a drop or two of blood. Probably happened 3-4 times. Now that there is a cut there, pushing your tongue back will probably reopen it a bit, resulting in more blood, but also in greater freedom for your tongue...pretty similar to snipping I would imagine, but without the hardware. I never quite had a "pop" or a "gash" though, so please take it safe and easy...you'll be there before you know it!!

Sounds like you are pretty close. Once you can get the tongue a little bit past the soft palate, try pushing the tongue forward...the soft palate is a little like a trapdoor that comes down once you get your tongue a little into the opening, and voila you're in K-2!!

I haven't been doing as much stretching lately, as I can get into and stay in K-2 pretty easily now (look Mom, no hands...) and have been enjoying the fruits of that; but will probably start back up again soon as I work toward K-3 and K-4
Go to Top of Page

grihastha

USA
184 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  1:34:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit grihastha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the encouragement, Parallax! Yeah, I think I WILL take it easy for a little bit. The sensation immediately made me understand what Yogani was on about with his 'hymen' imagery (not that, being a man, I have any experience of hymens!).

I think I'd be further along if it wasn't for my gag reflex, though. Was that a problem for you, and if so, what did you do about it? Mine's a bit over-developed and is guarding the gateway of bliss more successfully than my frenum...

Namaste!

gri
Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
348 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  3:42:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There was definitely a bit of gag reflex initially, but it subsided after awhile. It may help also to try to go in from the "side", with your tongue starting in either the back left or right hand side (which ever is more comfortable for you), and then pushing up from there...a bit shorter distance to go than straight up the middle, and you may not have as much of an issue with the gag reflex.

Too much action directly around the uvula (the thing dangling in the middle) tended to make me gag at first, so going around either side may help. Also, taking a few deep breaths and relaxing a bit before trying may help to ease the gag reflex.

I also had an issue where the uvula got caught back in the nasal cavity between my tongue and soft palate...which I wasn't a big fan of...but with more practice and freedom of the tongue that doesn't happen anymore (or if it does I can get it back down no problem with a little movement of the tongue). It all comes with a little bit of practice...pretty soon it will be second nature for you...

It also took a little while to adjust to having the tongue back there during pranayama and meditation, it certainly didn't feel comfortable at first (some mild irritation as the nasal cavity got used to having a visitor, some saliva build up that needed to be swallowed and an occasional gag), but after a few weeks all of this went away. Now during practices the tongue stays in K-2 without having to give it any thought/attention, and I actually have to remember to bring the tongue down when I'm done...feels perfectly natural

Its all great fun...enjoy the process, don't put pressure on yourself and know that with consistent effort you'll be there before you know it...its definitely worth the effort!!!

Much love to you gri!

Parallax
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000